• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1200 vs. 1250

Reaction score
My 1200 got pretty busted up in a little freeway incident recently, and I'm anticipating the other (at fault) driver's insurance to total my ten year old 1200. Between the insurance check and my student aid package, I was considering getting a 1250. I mainly need to justify the extra money. I watch the bandits on craigslist like EVERY DAY (even before my crash!). The 1200's are usually around $3500, which means I can get them for about $2500 to $3000 for a PERFECT one. I can probably get a 1250 for around $5k. I was really happy with my 1200, but if the 1250 offers significant benefits over the 1200 I might bite. My concerns are as follows:

I'm not sure how I feel about a 6 speed transmission. I'm not really into shifting. How is it riding around in traffic with an extra gear?

Fuel injection? I've never had a problem with my beloved carburetors, and a smooth throttle roll on is important to me for cornering stuff. I've read that the FI bandits are a bit jerky from throttle all the way closed to just barely open. Also, I can *almost* rebuild carburetors on a UJM with a blindfold on, if anything were to ever go wrong. Do fuel injectors need servicing often, and is it difficult/costly?

Does the newer suspension make that much of a difference? I've always had the opinion that good cornering is more about technique and less about how fancy your suspension is (provided the road isn't super screwed up). If the improvement is noteworthy, I guess it might help me rationalize the price difference. Sometimes you don't know what you're missing out on!

Ease of engine maintenance: Are valve adjustments, spark plug checking/replacement, and oil changes much different on a 1250?

Ergonomics: I liked everything about my first two 1200's (98 and my wrecked 02). I did a saddle sore 2000 on my 02 without hardly thinking about it. How's the 1250?

ABS: This is the one thing that's really pushing me towards a 1250. I practice emergency stops often. During my crash it seems like I was able to scrub off a lot of speed before I ran out of traction by trying to swerve. Is the ABS system able to slow the bike as quickly as a well-trained hand? Does it require any extra maintenance? If ABS can reduce my stopping distance, it might be worth the extra $$ for me.

I'd be super happy if they just paid to fix my current bike, but that probably won't happen. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything by getting another 1200. Thanks for any input that you're able to provide!

Valve adjustment has gone underbucket ,unfortuneately .
I prefered my 1200 but not by much .Air cooled was the go but the do-gooder
have seen an end to most of that ..Shame
Some of use have had fuel problems with the 1250
I personally like the first 1200 best after that they got on the burgers and chips .

The 1250 still a great bike though , you wont be disappointed .

The ABS brakes on Bandit is pretty spongy and don't expect too much from old tech ABS . I used to own a gen2 bandit 1200 too. The six pot brakes are much better but the engine produce more vibration than the 1250.

I had a 1st gen '97 Bandit 1200, loved the bike.

I now have a 1250 and love it, its an improvement.

The suspension on the 1250 is a bit nicer, more controlled, the bike handles better. The 1st gen 1200 I had was less stable in the turns than my 1250. But, I sold my '97 1200 so long ago, its difficult to remember the exact differences.

Brakes, my 1250 has ABS, which after owning one previous ABS bike, is now a must-have feature. It is true that ABS does introduce quite a bit of complexity to the brakes, and the 1250 unfortunately does get spongy at the lever (installing SS brake lines to combat this) but ABS is still worth it in my book.

Carbs vs Fi...
The 1250 Fi is pretty much spot on. Its transitions are very smooth, FAR smoother on-off-on throttle than my previous bike (ST1300ABS)
Once you get rid of the secondary throttle body valves, the throttle responds more like a bike should (instant throttle response, no delay)
On the other hand, Carbs are also smooth, just not quite as responsive as Fi.

Valve clearance check... this is where the 1200 was FAR better IMHO. I so much prefer the rocker arm, adjustable style vs the shim under bucket design. At least the 1250 is building a reputation for not needing adjustments often, but on the 1200 there is no reason to ever pull the cams, unless you're installing gsxr cams.

Engine smoothness. Well the 1250 is counterbalanced, its smooth for an I4 engine, much smoother than the 1200. My 1200 had a vibe at around 3000-3500 rpm range that would make my hands numb. The XX I had after the 1200 had an incredibly smooth, double-counterbalanced engine. The 1250 bandit reminds me of the XX smooth i4 engine.

Spark plugs and oil changes are about the same on both engines, they're the same configuration.

6 sped tranny vs 5... I like having 6 gears, 6th is a tall over-drive anyway, and the 1250 has tall gearing, nice for hwy use. When I had 5 speed bikes, I was always hunting for a 6th.

Fi maintenance... I have never had any maintenance issues with Fi.
I have overhauled carbs many times on different bikes, have never had to do anything of the sort on Fi...
At worst, maybe in the future you may change an Injector, but thats about it..

Liquid cooling vs Air-Oil. I think Liquid cooling 'w a thermostat and fan is the way to go, but can't fault the older 1200 design.

Comfort wise, the geometry on the 1250 is very similar to the 1200 (with a slight comfort edge going to the 1250). I think the stock seat on the 1200 was better, I already replaced my 1250 seat 'w a oem gel one.

If you liked your 1200 a lot, I'm sure you will love the 1250, its pretty much everything the 1200 was, just more modern. But, if a 1200 in mint condition at the right price came along, it would be hard to say no.

EF

I've ridden (not owned) A 1200 and own the 1250. The 1250 a smoother and more refined version of the 1200

I'd take the 1250. It has torque versus HP which means a lot less shifting. I literally can ride all day in 3rd gear from 20-120.

I do NOT have the spongy brakes everyone else complains about (I've ridden 4 1250s). I don't know why but mine are great!

I came off an RC51 which had excellent brakes...They are better than the bandit's (except the rear on the bandit is better IMHO) as the bandit seemed to need more front lever pressure but I was by no means disappointed with them..Probably because the motor on the bandit 1250 was such a HUGE improvement over the RC as was the handling on the street and a nice upright riding position...The brakes work fine for me as well.

I've had both, a 2002 1200 and now an 08 1250. I loved the 1200 and I still love the 1250. Differences - 1200 seemed to have more raw power, the 1250 more torque. 1200 was just a bit lighter on the front, the 1250 seems to plow just a bit (not sure if I use the right term..it seems heavier on the front). I loved the mirrors on the 1200, dislike them on the 1250. (not only for seeing elbows...extenders help, but my 1200 had a detent that makes it easier to set...I have to fold mine in every day because of where I park it). The transmission on the 1200 is smoother, 1250 is a bit clunky...works fine though. be sure to take out the secondaries...great improvement on the 1250. Like the fuel injection...smoother than carbs. Exhaust, no real difference just bigger on the new bike. Gearing a must on either.. I changed my 1200 from 15/45 to 15/48. The 1250 from 18/43 to 18/46..better acceleration. Liked the seat on the 1200 better. Less rattle from the fairing on the 1250, better lights also.. hope this helps..all in all I'd do the 1250

I have to ask, did you lock up your wheels when breaking in the last accident? ABS would only help if you did, when I am in a panic situation I have still failed to lock up my wheels (I am braking as hard as I dare without locking the wheels) so I don't see how ABS can help, I would need to learn to just grab an almighty handfull of brake and let the ABS do its thing. Unfortunately that's not the way I ride (even in a panic situation) so I really doubt ABS would help me, would it help you? Depends on how you ride.. I have the same problem in my car, In an emergency I don't stamp on the brakes and lock all 4 wheels, I try to bring the car to a quick controlled stop (Which probably means I could stop quicker with ABS or better technique) but again ABS only helps if I step too hard on the brakes, which I don't think I have ever done.. I think ABS is a great thing, just not convinced it would have helped in your or my accident situations..

Gary

Thanks for all the input everyone, I think I have the opinions I was after now. I was surprised that everyone says the FI is smoother than the carbs. The under bucket shim valve arrangement kind of stinks, but I'm sure there is already a thread on here somewhere with great instructions.

Thrasherg, I'm not sure if I locked up the front wheel all the way or not. I ran out of front wheel traction when I got really close to the car and tried to swerve. The combo of braking hard and swerving was just too much. There's a reason we're supposed to separate those manoeuvres.

All that's left now is for the insurance to settle up, and then I can get some seat time on a 1250 to see how they feel.

Thanks again for all the responses, they were really exactly what I was after. Keep it shiny side up everyone!

Johnathon.......I have the 1250.......friend of mine has a 1200.

As someone stated the 1250's engine is smoother compared to the 1200....the 1200's vibe numbs my right hand and coming off a 1250 it's annoying.

The 1250 makes FULL torque at only 3,500RPM's (about 82ftlb) it's very quick from 0-120mph the 1200 has a little more top end but I like my power in what I call the "usable range" from 0-100mph.

I have 30,000 trouble free miles on my 2007 1250.

Sometimes the FI is "slightly" jerky on my bike at very low speeds but I'm used to it and I'm just careful with the throttle....it's very slight though, not a problem for me.

Get the 1250.....you'll like it!

I have to ask, did you lock up your wheels when breaking in the last accident? ABS would only help if you did, when I am in a panic situation I have still failed to lock up my wheels (I am braking as hard as I dare without locking the wheels) so I don't see how ABS can help, I would need to learn to just grab an almighty handfull of brake and let the ABS do its thing. Unfortunately that's not the way I ride (even in a panic situation) so I really doubt ABS would help me, would it help you? Depends on how you ride.. I have the same problem in my car, In an emergency I don't stamp on the brakes and lock all 4 wheels, I try to bring the car to a quick controlled stop (Which probably means I could stop quicker with ABS or better technique) but again ABS only helps if I step too hard on the brakes, which I don't think I have ever done.. I think ABS is a great thing, just not convinced it would have helped in your or my accident situations..

Gary

I know how you feel. When I did my busa front end swap, I found that the ABS rotor would mount right up to the new busa wheel. I just had to drill and thread the little holes for the mounting screws. So the plan was to fabricate a bracket to hold the ABS sensor in the right place to make it functional again.
However, I just set the sensor out of the way by wrapping it around the lower triple clamp and quick tying it off so I could go for a test ride. I found that I could not lock the front wheel up at all, and my braking was so much improved that I have not been in any hurry to finish fixing the ABS system.

In fact, the only real motivation I've got to do the job at all is to get rid of the **** ABS light on the instrument cluster! :mrgreen:

Back