• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bad clutch?

Reaction score
I have a freind who bought a new Honda Rebel this fall. He let me ride it around the block about a month ago and the clutch felt like it needed some serious adjustment. In the fully I pulled it in to put the bike in first gear and when I let it out it felt like it didn't fully engage or it engaged really late (by that I mean the bike didn't start to roll forward until the clutch lever was almost completely out - even then the engine revved up like it was still trying to catch before it felt 'hooked up'). I gave him all of the adjustment available at the clutch lever (there wasn't much) and told him to have the dealer look at it. That was at 700 miles. He took it in at 1200 miles and the dealer is telling him that the clutch us shot and that it's his fault. Clutches aren't covered under warranty and that he must have been grinding it. This sounds completely unreasonable to me. Yes you can wear a clutch out prematurely by slowly letting it out but 700 to 1200 miles...on a Honda Rebel? I had one with 50K miles 10 years ago with the original clutch. What do you think?

I thought that Honda was better than that or is it just a weirded out service manager?:shame:

I think he's best described by several words that HAVE TO be in the forum's filter.

Is the service being done at the dealer where he purchased the bike? If so, my suggestion would be to talk to the sales manager, heck, have them round up the store owner, tell him that maybe the service department might be able to bluff a bold faced lie past some other idiot, but that you know better. Then point out to him the everyone on the sales staff knows the Rebel is a "starter bike" and ask him where he hopes your friend will buy his next one.

You have absolutley nothing to lose here by calling the man a liar to his face. Heck, it might be fun. Take a camera with you.

It's the dealer that sold him the bike. I think they saw him coming. He readily admits that he doesn't know anything about bikes. The worst part is that he bought this one because he's a student with two kids who can't afford this kind of carp and he chose the Honda becasue of it's reliability. I like the 'where's he going to buy his next bike' angle. I'm refraining from posting the dealer's name until they've had a chance to make this right.

Two points. First, if the clutch is not fully engaging, then it could have been burnt out within the mileage you indicated. Probably sooner.

Second, if the dealer sold him the bike, then the mal-adjusted clutch is their doing, assuming your friend did not adjust it. Otherwise, the clutch was on the verge of worn out when he bought it. Guess the latter is what you are thinking.

Maybe one of you guys can answer this question for me; at a big city shop when a new bike is uncrated and assembled, do the experienced, certified mechanics do that or is that a job for one of the shop lackeys? Just curious.

Thanks

I think the next bike buy is the best approach.

I can kinda understand a new rider not realizing something was wrong with the clutch for 700. But, if a more exp. rider told me something was wrong and actually made some adjustments before telling me to see the dealer, I would do it quickly. Not almost dbl my miles.
Doesn't make it your buddy's fault though. Hopefully the shop will do right by a new rider and future customer.:ponder:

I'd be of the opinion that the clutch should have been adjusted properly at setup, but as Patrick said, it's not the top technicians that put these things together.

Did you notice if the oil has a burned smell? It seems it would have if the clutch is gone in this sort a mileage.

That's a cable-actuated clutch isn't it? If so, there should be some adjustment at the clutch actuation arm itself. Maybe there's enough there to get him a little further down the road, but the clutch probably needs to be replaced.

If the bike left the shop that badly out of adjustment the dealer should stand behind it, but how are you going to prove the rider hasn't messed with it? If Honda won't cover it, I'd be surprised if the dealer does. It's a shame.

I'd suggest buying new clutch plates and gaskets -- at another dealer -- and give him a lesson in clutch replacement. It shouldn't be a difficult job.

It IS the dealer's responsibility to deliver a safe, properly adjusted motor vehicle to the buyer...you just might remind the dealer of that. Also, I know that BMW dealers are required to "set-up" the bike according to BMW instructions and specifications and TEST the bike before delivery. I would assume Honda has similar requirements. Whether this is actually carried out by a particular dealer is subject to speculation. Ask to see the setup checklist and who signed off on the vehicle's safety and setup checklist. "What do you mean Mr. Dealer, you don't have a safety checklist for new bike delivery? If so, how did that TX Inspection sticker get onto that vehicle"?

In the case of a low end bike like the Rebel, I would doubt much time was given to this part of the delivery process…just an opinion but, human nature is…..well, you get the idea.

In your visit to the dealer, you might suggest that you are recording all the events associated with this obvious mistake (a pad and pencil with some note-taking is convincing, with names, dates...don' forget the camera) on the dealer’s part and intend on pursuing it to it's fullest extent...such as with the State's Atty’s Office, BBB, and Honda NA....and then follow through. Auto and motorcycle dealers don’t like bad press whether via the Internet, word-of-mouth or other means. Let them know you mean business but, FOLLOW THROUGH!

And then, post here and let us know the outcome...one of us might even write a letter sympathetic to your cause.

Last edited:
Back