• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping in the Hill Country

Reaction score
Got a week long trip planned for 3rd week of March. Gonna ride as much dirt roads as we can in the Hill Country, Rock Springs ans SW of there.

But we need a base camping spot for 4 or 5 nites.

Thinking about Lost Maple State park or Garner SP.

Any suggestions on these 2, or others?

Think they will be filling up on Sat nites in March?

Both park are good But they fill up fast make reservations early.Hope it helps Ride Safe .

Garner would be my preference. Lost Maples is smaller and the campsites are like camping on somebody's lawn.

++ on reservations.

Not a lot of dirt to ride in the area w/o trespassing on private property.

OK, Looking like Garner. We'll be in 2 toyhaulers.

Anybody got any special campsite numbers??

I know when I go to my reg local campsites, there are always a few sites that are the best.

Thanks,

I like the even number sites (river side) from 204 to 214 on Persimmon Hill.

Second choice would be Love Oak, on the river side of the loop.

Park Map

The back country camp sites at Lost Maples are much better than the ones on the front lawn. The closest back-country sites are just about a mile from the parking lot..

How hard would it be packing 2 toyhaulers in. :mrgreen:

I've stayed at a place called Ledgewater several times and was the only person out there. It has a spring fed river running through it and use to have a bath house and power hookups for RVs. Don't expect an RV park or anything but it was 400 acres of trees, and water and peace and quiet. They don't have an internet prescence so definitely give them a call to see if they are still around since it has been a couple of years since I've been out there. It is off Hwy 55 about halfway between Rocksprings and Campwood. 830-234-3424. Owners used to be Caryolyn and Denmon. Super nice people.

I've stayed at a place called Ledgewater several times and was the only person out there. It has a spring fed river running through it and use to have a bath house and power hookups for RVs. Don't expect an RV park or anything but it was 400 acres of trees, and water and peace and quiet. They don't have an internet prescence so definitely give them a call to see if they are still around since it has been a couple of years since I've been out there. It is off Hwy 55 about halfway between Rocksprings and Campwood. 830-234-3424. Owners used to be Caryolyn and Denmon. Super nice people.

+1 on Ledgewater! It's next to my uncles place he manages ... Can you say Dirt Roads on a Ranch!..:rider:

I know this is an old thread, so... Does anyone know if the Ledgewater site is still around and if they have bathhouse or any sites with available electricity?

Back