• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Building a KLR650 "C" Model? Euro Part Supplier?

Keith

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Foster
I've been playing the "which dual sport" game for several weeks now. It appears from everything I have seen the KLR has the best support network on the planet. It's a tried and true design that - as one website said - makes it the jeep of the two wheeled world.

Problem is - I think it's been smacked upside with the proverbial ugly stick. Now I'm NOT trying to insult anyone here, the bike is simply not what I consider aesthetically pleasing. I like function - and here I'll give the KLR its due, but I like form as well - and for me the US available KLR650 "A" just doesn't cut it.

However - the KLR 650 "C" does - unfortunately it was or is only available overseas. Which leads me to my question. I'd like to convert an "A" model to look like the "C" model - or put somethng else that is similar on the bike to change its looks. We're talking "looks" here - not function, so I'm only after the "form" of the bike. I am not trying to recreate a "C" model with all of it's differences. I tried to find a euro parts supplier online, but never found the plastics. I thought I would see if anyone else has a supplier for euro parts in their favorites list.

Here's a picture of a 2001 "C" model so you can get an idea of what I'm looking for...

kawasaki_klr_650_2001_7_lgw.jpg

As you can see, the tank plastics are totally different and more "dirt bike" looking. I'd really like the bike to look more like my KX450F - but that maybe going a bit far. And yes - I thought about simply buying a KLX450, but I like the more comfortable aspects of the KLR650. I can't imagine a "long road" trip on my KX450F, so it would seem to me the KLX450 would be just as bad...

I totally agree! I went with the DR650 for just that reason. I always liked the looks of the KLX650 which they discontinued. Good luck.

OK - seems I may have a new challenge - where can I find a KLX650? A quick trip to Google led me to an advrider thread that suggested the bike was made from 93 to 96. And it appears there were two versions - the KLX650C (street legal) and the KXL650R (off-road only). Very interesting...

Further reading suggests the bike suffers from a lack of aftermarket and no viable "larger tank" options. But this begs the question - exactly how far do I need to go on a single tank before refueling? Answer - Beats me? My last dual sport was a then new 1972 Suzuki 90 TC that went forever on a quarters worth of gas (of course back then a quarter would fetch you a gallon of regular).

I also saw reference to a side plate mount gas tank that held 4 gallons of fuel. Seems that would cover the fuel issues...

However, the KLX650 appears to have the same type saddle as the current KLX bikes - not sure those would be comfortable enough for even a brief trip (HEY - maybe that's why the tank is so small).

Maybe I should be looking for a way to make the saddle on the KLX bikes easier on the backside...

A friend had the KLX650 street legal version, it had a longer rake on the front fork {he called it "rot ready"} and the rear shock had no rebound or damping adjustment, the piggy back is the tool kit holder, strange machine it was.

Have you thought of E Baying a set of KLX 450 or 650 body parts and putting them on a KLR? True you won't have the KLX suspension, but if you're want to do road riding do you need dirt bike suspension or road suspension? I don't think the body work mounts all that different. The frames look almost exactly alike. Surely close enough to make fitting possible. I have a KLR with a set of KLX 450 forks on it in my shop right now. There are issues with this, but it makes for a comfortable ride.

If course the KL Series Bikes from Kawasaki are tuneable to the NTH degree with a lot of aftermarket support.

I am currently putting some dual piston calipers from a Suzuki SV 650 on my 06 KLR to get better stopping power. The best part is, I bought the calipers for $29.00. All I had to do is make brackets that would allow the Suzuki Calipers to bolt to the KLR fork and swing arm. Not that hard really!

Then if you want to make it more interesting, put a digital dash on it to get shed of that ugly KLR instrument panel and get something with some real features dirt bike features.

True the 650 KLR is underpowered, but it's a cockroach. It will live forever if you take care of it.

Hey Curtis - thanks for the response. I eventually bought an XR650L (which isn't much prettier). I'm looking for a way to graft the Honda dirt bike tanks and shrouds from a 450 to it. I'm still VERY interested in a Kawasaki platform though.

A couple o pics of a good friend's KLX C...
but he won't part with it for anything! ...I've tried
(also asked time & again about him sellin the clean clean clean orange 77 XT500!)

Attachments

• Mr Green Gene's 95 KLX650 (2).jpg
    Mr Green Gene's 95 KLX650 (2).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,363
  • Mr Green Gene's 95 KLX650 (3).jpg
    Mr Green Gene's 95 KLX650 (3).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Mr Green Gene's 95 KLX650.jpg
    Mr Green Gene's 95 KLX650.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,231
I had completely forgotten about this thread...

The Big Red Pig and my tail bone were never able to come to grips with each other and I sold the bike. That pretty much ended - for the time being at any rate - my "need" to have a dual sport. Heck, right now I don't even have a "working" strret bike. Still in restoration mode on the Thunderace, mostly because my interests have shifted to non-wheeled pursuits for the time being.

Back