PDA

View Full Version : DRZ400SM - who has/had them?

dieselndixie
02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, I love my Vstrom. Its a great all around tool. BUT...since its my first bike that isnt a "sport" bike....im missing a bit of thrill.

I work in the motorcycle industry, so I know drz is often frowned on how "tame" they are out of the box, but how much do they wake up with the recommended mods? Im a big guy (6'2 - 255) I want the drz for the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the parts availability....but I am considering the husky 610 for the power. I dont want a bike that you are ringing its neck to hit 80mph.

input? If it helps to compare...I ride a well modded crf450x in the dirt, just sold my ktm 400exc dual sport, and ride a dl1000 now, last bike was a euro converted naked fz1.

thanks

Drumboy
02-20-2012, 06:28 PM
DRZ's aren't gonna smoke a crf450x, but they're reliable and cheap to buy and maintain. Id go with a pre 06 e model so you get the better carb.

tojo92
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Well, I love my Vstrom. Its a great all around tool. BUT...since its my first bike that isnt a "sport" bike....im missing a bit of thrill.

I work in the motorcycle industry, so I know drz is often frowned on how "tame" they are out of the box, but how much do they wake up with the recommended mods? Im a big guy (6'2 - 255) I want the drz for the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the parts availability....but I am considering the husky 610 for the power. I dont want a bike that you are ringing its neck to hit 80mph.

input? If it helps to compare...I ride a well modded crf450x in the dirt, just sold my ktm 400exc dual sport, and ride a dl1000 now, last bike was a euro converted naked fz1.

thanks

I have owned lots of motards. It all depends on what the reliability to speed ratio is in your mind. To me, the DRZ is a great middle of the road option. I would also recommend XR650L or even an XR400R converted as two other options. I loved my DRZ400E model that I used in "sportsman" motard configuration. It was bulletproof and good for 97 miles an hour with no changes other than a pipe and jet kit. I am 6 foot 265, no issues at all.

The XR400R motard I had was bullet proof as well and I never had an issue with it. It was a little slower top end (about 85mph). The KTM450SMR was a beast, but expensive for lots of mechanical work needed when ridden hard. Actually almost all high strung 450's are that way, something the DRZ seems immune to.

I currently have a Duke II 640 and after one track day, decided to keep it for street use and I am buying back a modded 2003 CRF450 for motard track days. The KTM Duke II is a little heavy and just a bit faster than a DRZ at the track.

I do not have first hand experience with the Husky's although I have heard good things.

My 0.02.

Staton

gixxerjasen
02-20-2012, 07:05 PM
I've ridden a nicely modded DRZ and the Husky 610 back to back. We all pretty much admitted that the DRZ was every bit as good, and more reliable and less expensive. Doug, member here, had owned both previously and sold them to friends, also members here. After taking both for a spin he went out and picked up another DRZ as his choice of motards.

I loved mine and I will likely have another again. And bone stock it was good for 97mph indicated.

Let the whoring commence!

Doug's well modded old bike on the right, now Chris's (Danceswithcurves) and my stock one on the left/

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Vehicles/Past/Motorcycles/2007%20Suzuki%20DRZ-400%20SM/slides/IMG_1390.JPG

Hey there good lookin!

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Vehicles/Past/Motorcycles/2007%20Suzuki%20DRZ-400%20SM/slides/IMG_1388.JPG

Big DRZ's, little DRZ's, Big people, and little people!

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Trackdays/ECR%20081708/slides/IMG_1419.JPG

Bone stock, including tires, two weeks in my possession, never owned a motard before and first time on this track....never felt so comfortable so quickly.

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Trackdays/ECR%20081708/slides/IMG_34750.JPG

Chris on the hunt!

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Trackdays/ECR%20081708/slides/IMG_33356.JPG

http://www.leanangle.com/Albums/Trackdays/ECR%20081708/slides/IMG_33782.JPG

dieselndixie
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Well I have had a xr400r but in dirt trim only (loved it). If I could get the hit I get from my 450x in the street I would be happy (it's highly modded though). My ktm cost too much to maintain IMO.

I don't think I want to convert a dirt bike simply for maintenance intervals(unless I am misinformed)

I would love my 450x in the street. But it's setup PERFECT for dirt right now so I wouldn't want to mess with it.

My usage plans are 2 track days a year. Commute 25 minutes once a week. Weekend rides in the twisters. And the occasional impromptu ADV ride. Oh, and I would be lying if I didn't say I wanted to do wheelies.

tojo92
02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I'd say all signs point to a DRZ. :clap:

If you can get a converted E model, I would suggest it, but the SM is great as well.

gixxerjasen
02-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Yup, DRZ it is. But they won't do wheelies.

At least mine couldn't, but that's likely because of the rider and the rather small orbs between his legs.

dieselndixie
02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
school me on the pros and cons of converting a dirt bike (E model, etc) vs buying a factory SM.

DMV issues? oil change/maintenance intervals? suspension? brakes? etc?

If its not an issue....I would be after an extra 450x to motard for street use. That way parts are interchangable, and I already knew how to work on it.

im all ears.

oh....and if I want to keep my Vstrom (which i do) then I should have around $4k TOTAL after my K5 blazer sells......just to keep the overall budget in mind.

tojo92
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
school me on the pros and cons of converting a dirt bike (E model, etc) vs buying a factory SM.

DMV issues? oil change/maintenance intervals? suspension? brakes? etc?

If its not an issue....I would be after an extra 450x to motard for street use. That way parts are interchangable, and I already knew how to work on it.

im all ears.

oh....and if I want to keep my Vstrom (which i do) then I should have around $4k TOTAL after my K5 blazer sells......just to keep the overall budget in mind.

Not hard to convert to street use, and conversion kits to 17 in wheels are available. Total costs is around 1000-2000 depending on doing it cheap or turn key with new kits from various vendors. The "E" model has a higher compression motor, better front forks, a "better" carb (I think) and is lighter. It is not hard to find a converted E model if you are patient and much cheaper than converting to street legal or motard yourself.

You will almost always spend and lose more converting one yourself, but it is fun.

If you have 4K total, you can easily buy an E already converted, or find a 450X converted. The 450X is great. If you aren't worried about the maintenance and possible rebuilds, go for the CRF450X. The wide ratio transmission and higher oil capacity (I think that's correct anyway) make for a decent street tard. The DRZ E or SM will be more bulletproof however, just not as fast.

Some stuff to cosider...

Baja designs kit (nice, but can be done much cheaper)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/212/20870/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Dual-Sport-Kits-Baja-Designs-Dual-Sport-Kit.aspx?SITEID=Google_Baja_Designs_Dual_Sport_Kit&WT.mc_ID=10001&WT.srch=1&esvt=GOUSP340927590&esvadt=999999-0-4011299-1&esvid=400071

Motard turn key conversion kits....

http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-Conversion-Kits-s/1820.htm?searching=Y&sort=9&cat=1820&show=80&page=1

check www.supermotojunkie.com for used parts

A buddy of mine bought a front and rear wheel used for his CRF250X, used it a year, then bought a nice CRF450X already converted.

You may want to just grab the wheels first and see if you like it before pulling the trigger.

Drumboy
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I plated my 03 drz400e for less than $150 in Baja Designs parts and bought some wheels from a member here for around $700 with tires. More fun than my old r6.

Make sure you transfer the title before plating cause I hear you don't have to pay taxes on off highway vehicles. Also, make sure it has a title.

dieselndixie
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Well I don't want to change a single thing on my dirt 450x. It's taken me over a year to dial it into a woods weapon. But I would really like to know how often do you need oil changes? Rebuilds? Etc. When mortarding a 450x in comparison to buying a drz400sm (a real sm).

Exevious
02-20-2012, 10:25 PM
The DRZ is a wheelie machine??

Not sure where the no wheelies thing came from. Certainly a capable stunt bike.

But it is no Husky 610.... Kinda like comparing a v6 camaro to a zo6 vette.
Not to make that comparison belittle the DRZ. Where as the Husq 610 is a Wicked machine... the DRZ is a very good machine.

Here is mine:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/motard001.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Exevious/motard007.jpg

E.Marquez
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
DRZ's aren't gonna smoke a crf450x, but they're reliable and cheap to buy and maintain. Id go with a pre 06 e model so you get the better carb.

The SM never had a FCR, only the Mikuni BSR36

dieselndixie
02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Hmmm, doing lots of research AGAIN. I love the simplicity of buying a drz400sm and taking off....but am very intrigued with converting a 450x. A dirt and street pair in the garage would look pretty **** nice. I know the 3x3 mod, fcr carb, etc are all great mods for the drz...but HOW MUCH does it really wake it up?

But seriously, If anyone wants a day on a fully farkled vstrom 1000....i would love to get some seat time on a supermoto. Not sure how that works out insurance and all that other jazz...but its a thought.

E.Marquez
02-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Not hard to convert to street use, and conversion kits to 17 in wheels are available. Total costs is around 1000-2000
Bit more than that, wheel set is about that alone unles you get a screaming used deal like I did.. :lol:
. The "E" model has a higher compression motor, Only by a bit, and just the difference of a top end gasket set.
better front forks, Same forks DRZ S and E 2003 and later.. only the 2000-2002 S have the damper rod Showas
a "better" carb (I think) The S has the Mikuni BSR36 all years, as does a late model 2007 and later E. So if picking the bike with this in mind, get an early model E, of course then you have an old, used, likely very worn carb....
and is lighter.
Yes and know,, the S is heaver due to the parts oin it that make it street legal.. if you remove those parts, it weighs within ounces of the E. .. In street trim, either is going to weigh about the same. It's not a light bike,, period.

The biggest cost is the wheel set for sure, but things add up.

This is my conversion. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66995 (http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66995)
Not yet done as Im still deployed.. But this is not my only, nor first DRZ (actually this is my first one, but I’ve had several others along the way to include an 07 SM.)

To the OP.. the DRZ is a great bike to ride, it’s not a great highway bike, you can ride it down the highway to get someplace, but that’s not where the fun factor is.

If you comparing a Husky 610 to the DRZ, and are looking for a like bike, skip the DRZ… It can be a money pit if you let it, trying to make it a bike it’s not.
To get a stock SM or S to a fun factor level, IMHO, it means at a minimum 434 BB kit from cylinder works, Hot cams, and an FCR39.

From there you can do all kind of things to it… it’s a blank canvas, huge aftermarket following, and can be built in many different directions.
It will always be a 50 ~60 hp bike at best, and weigh 290 lbs or more. So ride one, if it meets your desire at the 90%.. then it’s a good fit. If you ride one and want for a lot more, pass, you’ll go broke building it to be a KTM or Husky 610.

Exevious
02-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Is the E model the off road version??

If so.. keep in mind the off road DRZ400 does not have an inverted fork.

I had a DRZ400 before my DRZ400SM. Figured I would just buy the SM wheels and tires later on.... But then saw the cost. I sold the DRZ and picked up a DRZSM.

It is MUCH cheaper to do it the other way around... and you get a bike with inverted forks. You can add knobbies to the small rims... or add taller wheels and knobbies like the offroad model MUCH cheaper.

Exevious
02-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Hmmm, doing lots of research AGAIN. I love the simplicity of buying a drz400sm and taking off....but am very intrigued with converting a 450x. A dirt and street pair in the garage would look pretty **** nice. I know the 3x3 mod, fcr carb, etc are all great mods for the drz...but HOW MUCH does it really wake it up?

But seriously, If anyone wants a day on a fully farkled vstrom 1000....i would love to get some seat time on a supermoto. Not sure how that works out insurance and all that other jazz...but its a thought.

Man... if you lived up here in Fort Worth!!

I am thinking of grabing the Tag down near waco tomorrow. I would let you ride my DRZSM and ride your vstrom. But your the opposite direction.
I will end up hauling *** down there and back on the FJR.

Solo street rides are just so much nicer when you can cruise at 105 or better in complete comfort....:lol2:

E.Marquez
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Is the E model the off road version??

If so.. keep in mind the off road DRZ400 does not have an inverted fork.

I had a DRZ400 before my DRZ400SM. Figured I would just buy the SM wheels and tires later on.... But then saw the cost. I sold the DRZ and picked up a DRZSM.

It is MUCH cheaper to do it the other way around... and you get a bike with inverted forks. You can add knobbies to the small rims... or add taller wheels and knobbies like the offroad model MUCH cheaper.

Yes the E is the off road version.

With valving and correct springs, the conventional Show forks are every bit as good as the upside down shows found on the SM. The SM forks need springs at least for any rider weighing more than 160 or so, and valving if you want the best they can give you.. end state, with forks work..

A set of dirt wheels for the SM with a matching 310 rotor so you can swap is a little cheaper then SM wheels…

Id agree though, if the intent is street, get the SM, drop a FCR39, 434BB and cams and go ride the wheels off of it.

Exevious
02-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Why are you saying it needs susp changes for over 160?
I'm 5'11 about 195 and never felt like it needed changes to the inverted fork.

I can't see that unless your trying to moto cross it... but then who would moto cross a DRZ???

I do 'rodeo' style competitions, and do agree that susp stops are in order for that... but those susp stops are better for any bike running a slower, precision course, with many full chock turns.

outside of that the DRZ or DRZSM has all the susp travel most should need.... I only noticed about 1/2 inch difference in ground clearance between the two. the DRZ being taller than the SM. Other than that both had over a foot of susp travel. I could run thru most ditches and not have trouble at 195lbs.

Don't mean to sound hostile... just trying to learn how to improve my motard!

E.Marquez
02-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Why are you saying it needs susp changes for over 160?
I'm 5'11 about 195 and never felt like it needed changes to the inverted fork.

I can't see that unless your trying to moto cross it... but then who would moto cross a DRZ???

I do 'rodeo' style competitions, and do agree that susp stops are in order for that... but those susp stops are better for any bike running a slower, precision course, with many full chock turns.

outside of that the DRZ or DRZSM has all the susp travel most should need.... I only noticed about 1/2 difference in ground clearance between the two. the DRZ being taller than the SM. Other than that both had over a foot of susp travel. I could run thru most ditches and not have trouble at 195lbs.

Don't mean to sound hostile... just trying to learn how to improve my motard!

OK.. hey if your happy with how it rides, that's all that matters :giveup:

I think you most would be much happier with a suspension that was set up for their weight, riding style, and terrain.. But there are folks that are happy riding 1978 DT125's. so who am I to say what right is :thumb:

At the end of the day, the springs on the DRZ are suited for a 160lb rider give or take... the valving is light on compression.

Im not a Race Tech Fan boy, but something the owner of RT said has always struck me as true. ""The best you've ridden is the best you know."
- Paul Thede"

:-D

DancesWithCurves
02-21-2012, 10:32 AM
My SM has seen two valve adjustments in 16K miles. Clearances were not too far off at the second, the first was before my ownership. Oil changes every 1500-2000 based on usage (commuting, trackdays) and elapsed time.

I love the thing.

But it is no Husky 610.... Kinda like comparing a v6 camaro to a zo6 vette.
Not to make that comparison belittle the DRZ. Where as the Husq 610 is a Wicked machine... the DRZ is a very good machine.

Having ridden both to 70% or so, I'd say the difference isn't that drastic. Perhaps a better comparison is the Honda S2000 to the early 1.6 Miata. The S2000/Husky is the better machine on paper, very "intense"... but the DRZ/Miata is so much more fun than anything with its humble engineering has any right to be. Maybe I should've said Z3 3.0 (non-M) roadster since the Husky is European? Maybe CRF:DRZ::S2000:Miata.

Maybe this is all Greek to a bunch of non-car-types? :mrgreen:

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 10:36 AM
I gotcha. I dont want to act like Im gonna NEED a super powered bike. I do find myself buying liter bikes, because I enjoy power....but im not the type to act like I NEED it.

I really need to know how much difference you can make to bump up the power to the DRZ. I like everything about it, I just want to be sure that down the road, if its just not giving me enough, I have options that will actually do anything.

I think our local husky dealer is no more, so thats a big factor.

DancesWithCurves
02-21-2012, 11:08 AM
How's 57hp sound?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/388747-the-tale-of-a-57hp-05-drz-smnow-60-hp-103108/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196264

ekms377
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Around town commuting will be a blast. Highway commutes will be a pain. Mind you it is a 400 single. So it will be limited somewhat. Would I own one??? Heck yeah!!!

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I dont doubt they are fun....but I have to give up my K5 to own one, so I just want to be sure its gonna be what i want.

My last ride set some pretty high standards....I dont expect power to be anything close. Just sayin...

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 11:25 AM
57hp would be nice!

gixxerjasen
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Yea, Chris beat me to it.
Pipe
Airbox mod
bored
stroked
cams
carb
etc etc etc

Eddie on Thumpertalk knows all about these things. You can give some liter bikes a run for their money on short straights on most tracks that don't include fast ones like TWS with this setup, and of course you'll eat them up in the corners. I lust for an Eddie DRZ.

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Ok, but we are talking a couple grand to get it that way.

I want to know, how much difference over stock is there if you just did a pipe, airbox mod, and maybe a carb upgrade or something. Basically, what can $500-750 do for that bike? - keep in mind, I work in the industry and can get most items at wholesale prices....but only if its like DRZ and other basic stuff....I wouldnt have the same advantage with say a husky or ktm

E.Marquez
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
57hp would be nice!

57hp is about the top end, and yes your talking more then $3k buy a bit. :-D from a stock starting point.

48-50 HP is doable with a package of bolt ons, for about $1900, more if it needs valve work.

more then 50 and it's stroker crank, +1mm intake valves, RHC 187 cams, FCR41 carb, and it can go up from that if your interested in porting by one of the few that can do it and improve flow at the correct points, bore above the suggestible max of 94mm.. etc, etc.

Speed cost money, how fast do you want to spend.

The 48~50 engine is as reliable as OEM.

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I wouldnt go all out on it. afterall, I want the sumo simply to have a "beater" bike (for lack of a better term) that I dont mind ringing out from time to time. Reliability is a big part too... Pipe, airbox mod, some carb work, and maybe call it a day.

I just needed to know that it can be "uncorked" and pepped up a bit if needed. I have a close friend that owned one right after his husky 610 and said it was "tame" But his was bone stock, and I have been wondering if it just needed some mods. I love mods btw ;) Same with my 450x and my 400r...without the usual mods, they were dogs.

E.Marquez
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I wouldnt go all out on it. afterall, I want the sumo simply to have a "beater" bike (for lack of a better term) that I dont mind ringing out from time to time. Reliability is a big part too... Pipe, airbox mod, some carb work, and maybe call it a day.

I just needed to know that it can be "uncorked" and pepped up a bit if needed. I have a close friend that owned one right after his husky 610 and said it was "tame" But his was bone stock, and I have been wondering if it just needed some mods. I love mods btw ;) Same with my 450x and my 400r...without the usual mods, they were dogs.

MRD / SSW pipe
FCR39 MX Carb
Cylinder Works 94mm BB kit
Hot Cams

I’ve built more than one, no one has been disappointed.

If your still thinking about it in two months.. Come down to Kempner, take mine for a ride..... Then set up a time to have one built.. or build it your self. :-D

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Nice, that sounds perfect. Part of modding is doing it yourself IMO, getting to know the bike (or whatever you working on) I have really enjoying modding my K5 blazer and converting that FZ1 to the euro spec. Its amazing what I learned on those 2 projects.

Anyway, patience is not a virtue of mine...so if I still dont have one in 2 months...it wont be by my choice ;)

Exevious
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Having ridden both to 70% or so, I'd say the difference isn't that drastic. Perhaps a better comparison is the Honda S2000 to the early 1.6 Miata. The S2000/Husky is the better machine on paper, very "intense"... but the DRZ/Miata is so much more fun than anything with its humble engineering has any right to be. Maybe I should've said Z3 3.0 (non-M) roadster since the Husky is European? Maybe CRF:DRZ::S2000:Miata.

Maybe this is all Greek to a bunch of non-car-types? :mrgreen:

You may be more accurate with that... its been several years since I got to play with a husq 610, and it was only once. It may have been modded, I just remember that thing almost screamed like a two stroke!! :rider:

gixxerjasen
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I'd say just go for the DRZ. If you like modding, it's fantastic for that purpose. Heck, part of the reason Doug went back to the DRZ after having owned a modded DRZ and then a 610 is that he's a modding junkie. The DRZ is pretty fun to mod and responds well to them. I'm more of a just use it out of the box kind of guy, so my opinions differ. However, I'd say get a DRZ, start modding, start riding, and start grinning.

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
My buddy that had a 610 said it ran like a "raped ape" and had lots of pull above 60mph.

But, I feel alot more confident working on a drz than a husky.

plus, parts for the drz have got to be cheaper.

ekms377
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
You can find the older Hypermotards for around 6-8K.

dieselndixie
02-21-2012, 01:49 PM
thats actually how all of this got started. I had the chance to pickup a hyper for $6400. Got my wheels turning.

I LOVE the ride from the hyper, its so much fun, tons of power.....but I spin my own wrenches, and a Duc just makes me nervous. Not to say they arent reliable, but I am already having as much fun as I can have on a tight budget...italian luxury may not be in the cards just yet.

humanrace
02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I've had close to 50 bikes. I've never had the desire to change the suspension on one of my street bikes (I currently ride a stock SM 2 up quite a bit), but I've never road raced or dirt raced with stock suspension. On the street and DS, I can adjust the throttle and brakes to match the suspension. On the track I want it right.

OldTLSDoug
02-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I had a SM610, but I prefer the DR-Z

http://photos.imageevent.com/tlsdoug/2008husqvarnasm610/currentbikepictures/websize/P5242399a.jpg

The brakes are better it has a little more motor, but it has a 2 in longer wheelbase and parts are a bit harder to get. I loved the husky, but the DR-Z is a much better toy.

Chris's DR-z has an E model base gasket, FCR-MX 39mm carb, Yosh RS-3 pipe, it is sprung for a 220 pounder, as is mine, it has Stage I cams, mine has his old Stage II cams. Bothe have Emodel CDI's, mine has an MRD./SSW exhaust, BT-003's, EBCHH sintered pads. I put a seat concepts seat and fat bars on it. The thing wheelies in 3 gears and corners like it is on rails. I can run with my old SM 610 on the track and the DR-z is light years ahead on comfort. The only seat worse than a stock DR-Z seat is the stock Husky seat. Seat concepts makes one for the Husky as well, best single comfort investment you can buy. I change stuff on my DR-Z all the time so I can't ever pin it down. You cannot find a better toy, and they are reliable as a stone and easy to work on, there is a huge aftermarket and they hold value fairly well. I won't be without one in the future.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tlsdoug/2006drz400sm/fatbars/large/IMG_1392.JPG

Trailduster
02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
The FCR39 carb turns the S into a beast but does nothing for the short legged Z on the highway, I've had 3 Zs, now have a DR650, IT'S GOT LEGS.

tojo92
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Diesel...I'm in Cedar Park. Your welcome to try out my Duke II if you like. Whole other way of thinking versus a 450, but good for street use. I will have my lowered CRF450 motard within about two weeks. It's track only, but you are welcome to try it out.

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1ps_qz62Gu3QJmIopWgaryZWEQrQfHCrZCWsXlqZu-qu22pY_Sw3DE68IRme0Z_KfMLal-VpsOc5VvsDZrKO1eYQ/DSC_0185.JPG?psid=1

I have a history of converting people over to the dark side of motards. :mrgreen:

Bronco - thanks for the education on the "E" models. Mine was a first year of production, I wasn't up on the changes and evolution.

MaxxTraxx
02-21-2012, 09:59 PM
DRZ's rock. I loved mine. As soon as I have a garage I'll get another one. I had a yoshi Ti full exhaust, FCR 39mm carb, air box mod, head work and cams and it ran fantastic. It is the best all around urban bike out there. It will do highway rides, but it isnt the best at it. I did 350mi in one day on it and it wasn't to bad. It helps if you have an over sized tank.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199452_18375626952_708386952_112643_5075_n.jpg

roll on power wheelie 2nd gear

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408084_10150483839696953_708386952_9100515_5891556 82_n.jpg

E.Marquez
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Bronco - thanks for the education on the "E" models. Mine was a first year of production, I wasn't up on the changes and evolution.
No worries, been building and riding DRZ’s since 2003, and writing about them most every day as well, so it’s just embedded brain fluff, nothing to do when me being smart . :lol:

E.Marquez

dieselndixie
02-22-2012, 10:25 AM
tojo, thats an extremely generous offer, and I appreciate it. I wouldnt feel right without atleast swapping you for a ride on my Vstrom. (whether you want to or not :lol2: )

Im finishing up replacing the waterpump on the strom, and then I just might take you up on that on a free weekend soon. Although, im afraid it will make me want a KTM!!! Its gorgeous.

gixxerjasen
02-22-2012, 11:12 AM
The day I was at the track on the above pictures, we were lined up ready to go out, and there was this guy on a KTM next to me. He and I were chatting and he mentioned that he used to have a DRZ and loved it but traded it for his track only KTM which had...according to him...a lot of mods and a lot more power. He offered to let me take it for a spin and I politely informed him that I'd only had the DRZ for two weeks and was't prepared to hate it just yet. :mrgreen:

That said, Doug used to have a KTM track only bike and I got to take it for some sessions. It was crazy fun but expensive maintenance. You have to remember that these bikes, by and large, were not meant to be running like you run them on the street, and it does take it's toll mechanically. This is a reason the DRZ is so good, it's so beefy that it can handle a lot of different abuse and still keep on truckin.

Riding his supermoto was a ton of fun though. I took it out for a session after running my track only GSX-R600 all day. The next session on my Gixxer I nearly crashed. I adapted so easily to the SM and it's light weight that I didn't realize I'd mentally adjusted my braking as you can brake so late on those things. I suddenly realized on my Gixxer that I was way late into my turn and wasn't slowing down nearly fast enough. I made it but thank goodness for the texas sun to heat and unpucker my seat between sessions. :mrgreen:

dieselndixie
02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I had a KTM dual sport. It was awesome. But when something went wrong on it... :giveup:

Either way, I love the look of that Duke. I really need to ride a DRZ400SM to seal the deal. Of course...none of this moves forward until I sell my blazer. No way I would sell the Vstrom. its just too good of an all around bike to get rid of. Its boring sometimes, but it just does what its supposed to do.

ekms377
02-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Let me say this......I rode a SM model and thought it was a slug compared to my E model. That being said.....the bike was stock. I am pretty sure it just needed "woke" up. Like most of guys here already said......mod away.

tojo92
02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
tojo, thats an extremely generous offer, and I appreciate it. I wouldnt feel right without atleast swapping you for a ride on my Vstrom. (whether you want to or not :lol2: )

Im finishing up replacing the waterpump on the strom, and then I just might take you up on that on a free weekend soon. Although, im afraid it will make me want a KTM!!! Its gorgeous.

Cool beans. Let me know, I would be glad to be "forced" to ride the VStrom, I enjoy those. :rider:

If you try and like the KTM, well...let's just say I change bikes like some people change socks according to my friends...I like to think I am more of a serial collector :rofl:.

I have owned a bunch of motards, when you take the KTM out, we can discuss what my experience has been.

Just shoot me a PM when your ready.

Staton

tojo92
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
The day I was at the track on the above pictures, we were lined up ready to go out, and there was this guy on a KTM next to me. He and I were chatting and he mentioned that he used to have a DRZ and loved it but traded it for his track only KTM which had...according to him...a lot of mods and a lot more power. He offered to let me take it for a spin and I politely informed him that I'd only had the DRZ for two weeks and was't prepared to hate it just yet. :mrgreen:

That said, Doug used to have a KTM track only bike and I got to take it for some sessions. It was crazy fun but expensive maintenance. You have to remember that these bikes, by and large, were not meant to be running like you run them on the street, and it does take it's toll mechanically. This is a reason the DRZ is so good, it's so beefy that it can handle a lot of different abuse and still keep on truckin.

Riding his supermoto was a ton of fun though. I took it out for a session after running my track only GSX-R600 all day. The next session on my Gixxer I nearly crashed. I adapted so easily to the SM and it's light weight that I didn't realize I'd mentally adjusted my braking as you can brake so late on those things. I suddenly realized on my Gixxer that I was way late into my turn and wasn't slowing down nearly fast enough. I made it but thank goodness for the texas sun to heat and unpucker my seat between sessions. :mrgreen:

I had a 2006 KTM450SMR that was street legal. I ran the begeezus out of it on the street and the track. After all the high dollar repairs, and the "new" motor...I had one more instance that caused me to hand it over to a friend to part out or fix as he saw fit for a minimal sale price. It was a BLAST on the track and I was alwways grinning, but it was expensive to keep running just as most of the 450's are.

The Honda CRF450 tard I am getting back has lots of improvements, but even then...the builder informed me to expect a full "service" including crank every two years. I can live with that due to the low cost I am getting it for. I just set aside a little each month for that event.

As for switching bikes, I took the Duke II and my ZX10R to GSS for a track day and swapped back and forth. Talk about some mental gymnastics! It took a few laps each outing to get reacquainted, but at the end of the day I am not sure what was more sore, my legs from riding or my face from grinning. :rider:

Exevious
02-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Let me say this......I rode a SM model and thought it was a slug compared to my E model. That being said.....the bike was stock. I am pretty sure it just needed "woke" up. Like most of guys here already said......mod away.

I had the E before the SM... both stock engines... My SM has a bit more zip to it.
I would assume that it is the smaller wheel diam. changing the final drive ratio that causes this.

Can't

gixxerjasen
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I had a 2006 KTM450SMR that was street legal. I ran the begeezus out of it on the street and the track. After all the high dollar repairs, and the "new" motor...I had one more instance that caused me to hand it over to a friend to part out or fix as he saw fit for a minimal sale price. It was a BLAST on the track and I was alwways grinning, but it was expensive to keep running just as most of the 450's are. I so badly want a race prepped 450 for the track. I'm fine turning a wrench, but if I have to attach a funnel to the bike to be able to pour the money in fast enough, I may just end up with a DRZ. And when I say that it sounds like a consolation prize, but it really isn't.

Oh, and one of these days I need to give a Duke II a flogging. I hear those things are a hoot.

tojo92
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I so badly want a race prepped 450 for the track. I'm fine turning a wrench, but if I have to attach a funnel to the bike to be able to pour the money in fast enough, I may just end up with a DRZ. And when I say that it sounds like a consolation prize, but it really isn't.

Oh, and one of these days I need to give a Duke II a flogging. I hear those things are a hoot.

They are fun. Really street oriented and little heav, but the motor makes up for it. I enjoy mine.

dieselndixie
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
Well...good news....i sold the K5 (well, only good news in terms of money...i really loved that truck. and will own another one day. STOCK!!!)

Anyway, bad new....uncle sam wants me to pay HIM this year! Damnit. :giveup:

Shouldnt hurt me tooooo bad, but I was planning on having more cash left over after paying off a medical bill.

Anyways....on with the hunt.

What are your thoughts on going this "style" route...maybe not just this one in particular....

drz in DS mode
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2868344665.html

extra set of motard wheels
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2837185563.html

is it really the best of both worlds? or does it end up being a hassle?

Drumboy
02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Get those wheels but wait for an E model for around $2,000 (make sure it has a title) and you can plate for less than $200 and then really have the best of both worlds.

dieselndixie
02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I guess I have to ask myself though....how much DS riding would I actually do.

I currently have a FULL farkled VStrom 1000 (i take it places it dont belong!)
a fully setup dirt only 450x

if I added a supermoto....would I really be laking in the DS area enough to need a bike for it?

hmmmm.....

Exevious
02-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I guess I have to ask myself though....how much DS riding would I actually do.

I currently have a FULL farkled VStrom 1000 (i take it places it dont belong!)
a fully setup dirt only 450x

if I added a supermoto....would I really be laking in the DS area enough to need a bike for it?

hmmmm.....

I don't know what mileage the DL1000 gets... but one thing that I have used to sell the wife... was the 75-80 MPG that the DRZSM gets when commuting to work.

if you live in any place like I do, your not moving more than 30mph stop and go.. with occasonial 40-50mph break.... if you can actually do 75 or 80 well then the bike will do it.

I prefer being on the DRZ, cause if some asxhole runs me of the road..... it can get me thru a ditch. Any of my other bikes, well it would be a fight to stay up!!

gixxerjasen
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I never got those kinds of numbers, but running 60-80mph on my back and forth to work daily I was getting 58mpg steady. I did have the glee one day of encountering total stopped traffic a few miles from home. To my right was a pristine unoccupied service road and the only thing separating me from it was some grass and a curb. I grinned and blasted off the road, through the grass and did a nice jump off the curb onto the service road leaving everyone else just sitting there.

dieselndixie
02-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Mpg sounds good. I'm trying to see what is out there and what prices they are bringing. I'm tired of being the guy that sells a fully tricked out bike and taking a loss on all the upgrades. I want to be on the other end of that deal this time around.

Any years to avoid or things like that? Im pretty sure I want a SM model and not convert the others.

gixxerjasen
02-24-2012, 11:21 PM
I don't think by any real means that the DRZ has had any bad years, or really ever been changed, by and large. I think it was 07 that they started putting fatbars on it stock, but not much else.

Have you been perusing www.supermotojunkie.com by any chance? Lots of bikes with lots of farkles for sale over there.

tojo92
02-24-2012, 11:28 PM
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69900

You might want to check this out. Grab a set of tard wheels and you're set.

Heck, I ran an older LC4 with a "sportsman" set up and it was very nice. (Just buy street oriented tires for these wheels). He has a cush drive set up, so it's an easy way to get after it.

Staton

Hood Ornament
02-25-2012, 08:35 AM
How's 57hp sound?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/388747-the-tale-of-a-57hp-05-drz-smnow-60-hp-103108/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196264

It sounds a lot easier when you can just buy it that way already. Not to mention get much better components.

http://www.novoworks.com/misc/albie/690push.jpg

dieselndixie
02-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I dont want to upset any of the orange crush out there...I used to be one!

But, I work at a motorcycle shop and can get just about anything for the japanese bikes for good prices. I dont have access to many KTM parts. Same reason I am avoiding the Husky. My last KTM (400EXC) was dual sported. Was a great bike in every way. But I had a few issues with it that got costly. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. I love riding the "exotics", but since I have a few other bikes to maintain....I think I am going to keep it as cheap and simple as possible since this will be a play toy only basically.

Hood Ornament
02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I know what you mean about bad tastes. My DRZ did that to me. Left me stranded twice in 5K miles, my 690 only did that once in 25K :lol2: The DRZ was pretty much boring in motard setup and was OK as a dual sport.

As for parts, not having the fortune to work at a dealer I have to get mine like most other folks. So I get my Suzuki, Kawasaki, and KTM parts from pretty much the same dealer off the internet.

dieselndixie
02-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Its just the way it goes. I (knock on wood) have never had an issue with any Honda bikes (8-9 of them) I have owned, but I have a buddy that has gotten the worst Honda ever built and has all sorts of issues :rofl:

I try not to "blame brands" as some people do. I just know that as a 3rd bike...I need it to be cheap entertainment, and simple to mod. If I was starting from scratch, and had an empty garage and a full wallet...a 990 adventure would be the bike I craved....or a multi1200....or a f800gs....actually, the list goes on.

OldTLSDoug
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Legs, but the DR-Z400 can spank it. Unless it is a distance test....

dieselndixie
02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
well of course, the water pump rebuild on my strom is taking longer than expected. really wish I had a 2nd streetable bike in the garage for the time being!

I am still doing lots of research on the SM models.

OldTLSDoug
02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
I do miss the KTM 525 SMR at times, it was fun.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tlsdoug/bikeridesandtrackdays/lstd8182006/large/IMG_6263.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/tlsdoug/bikeridesandtrackdays/lonestartrackday682007/large/IMG_12302.JPG