• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR/DR Sell me!

Reaction score
Current bike in sig looking for something to go off roading here and there nothing serious. Learned on a KLR 250 and from what I recall the brakes weren't that great, etc. Thinking of something older and cheap and easy to work on. Suggestions? :rider:

You talking big bike for roads and jeep trail, or little bike for playing in the woods, etc?

I'm seriously considering selling my DR650 as I ride a lot more aggressively offroad than I thought I would, and a 250-450 would suit me better (I didn't know where to ride when I got it).

I fear the same thing so maybe 400 max!? Lighter is better just in case. Not looking for a BMW GS or anything like that. Remember older and cheaper is fine for me! :)

PS: Would have to be street legal just in case!

Stay with team green, and get a KDX 200. Saw one on CL the other day--low hours, cheap, etc. If I don't already have one, I'd be all over it. You KLR is going to feel like a play bike compared to KDX.

Street legal more then likely just in case I go from trail to trail etc! :)

Just remember, in TX there is no such thing as trail to trail via streets. Only reason I asked is because I thought the very same thing a few years ago only to realize that what I really ended up doing more, was trailering to a riding area and riding a full on dirt bike.

To keep it light and street legal consider DRZ400s or plated E, XR650L, or plated XR650R. For a more high strung and high maintenance ride the KTM EXC bikes are very capable and light; 450 or 525/530. The DR is simpler than the KLR in that it's air/oil cooled vs. water cooled. And the DR is lighter than the KLR but heavier than the previous mentioned bikes. DR is more closely related to the XRL but the DR doesn't have as good suspension for off the road. Me; I'm very happy with my DRZ. Light, low maintenance, rugged, and good for off road. The S model after 2002 has the same suspension as the E so if I was getting another I would go with newer than 2003.

Back