• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lightroom 4 released

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
Adobe just released Lightroom 4.
As a bonus, they've slashed the price to $149.
Upgrade from LR1/2/3 for $79.

Press release here: link

Last edited:
So I've been playing around with LR4 Beta for a while. I've never used LR before, always used PS (CS4 as of now) which shares the Camera RAW processor that LR3 has. I have to say that LR 4's RAW processor is much better then LR3's and PS CS4's. You have so much more control with the sliders and can tweek so much more without ruining the effect it's really amazing. I went back and played around with some older RAW files and produced much better end pictures using LR4 then I could with PS. As soon as my beta copy expires I'll be ponying up the $149 for the full release version.

LR4 is now in the Mac AppStore as well if that's your preferred buying point.
Depending on how they worked the license agreement, that could be a good plan if you have more than one computer you'd like LR4 on.

I'm holding off for a new laptop. I read some comments on it being slower and I don't have the fastest mac around...

Just looked at the EULA for LR4 on the AppStore and it's not any different than if you bought it anywhere else. 1 user, 1 computer.

Rusty, it worked like a champ on my ~1yr old MBP. quad-core i7 2.0Ghz, 8gb RAM, 7200rpm drive
Haven't tried it on my ~4yr old MBP at home. dual-core Core2Duo 2.53ghz, 8gb RAM, 5400 rpm drive.

Just looked at the EULA for LR4 on the AppStore and it's not any different than if you bought it anywhere else. 1 user, 1 computer.

Rusty, it worked like a champ on my ~1yr old MBP. quad-core i7 2.0Ghz, 8gb RAM, 7200rpm drive
Haven't tried it on my ~4yr old MBP at home. dual-core Core2Duo 2.53ghz, 8gb RAM, 5400 rpm drive.

I think it's 1 user TWO computers. At least it was up through CS4.

2nd computer is allowed for training purposes.
IE, you normally use the software on your desktop, but you're flying to NYC for training, so you can install it on your laptop for the trip.
At least that's what I understand from it.
EULA appears the same as the EULA for CS5.5 which I just had to stare at extensively for work. :brainsnap:

Can LR4 be used on a color photo to make the background B&W - leaving the subject in color?

Looked it up using Google...

Lightroom: How To Do Selective Coloring

Selective coloring a photo allows photographers to emphasize certain parts of a photo and make backgrounds even more diminished. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom provides users with all the tools needed to do these effects, and it makes it extremely easy even for those that a new to the program.

Step 1: Experimenting with Color

When a user selectively changes color, it can bring out certain objects while causing others to either become obscured or at least not as prominent. For example, if a photographer wants leave only one object in color, he can change the rest of the background to black and white.

The photographer can also experiment with color to match the background with a part of the subject. For example, if a photo is taken of a woman is wearing a blue blazer, the background can be changed to blue and white to blend in with what the woman is wearing.

Lightroom users can also inverse the pattern and change the foreground image to emphasize the background. However a photographer decides to manipulate the pictures, he should make sure that the photo melds well after. Luckily, photographers will be working the Develop module, which means that pictures can be manipulated without affecting the original.

But, photographers still may want to save a copy of an original picture in case some glitch does occur.

Step 2: How to Do Selective Coloring in Lightroom

To change the color of a portion of a photograph or image, follow the below procedures to turn a section of a picture black and white:
1.Open up Lightroom, and then open the image that will be manipulated.
2.Go into the Develop module.
3.Then, go to the HSL/Color/Grayscale panel.
4.Click on the HSL tab, and go to Saturation.
5.For other colors, users should experiment with the sliders until they find the correct colors.
6.It is located on the upper left-hand side of the panel.
7.Drag it around the area until the whole section is selected.

Now, the area should be the selected saturation. If the entire area that needed to be colored wasn't covered the first time, users can fix that problem by following the below steps:
1.Select the Saturation Adjustment Brush Again.
2.Change the Amount Slider until it's at -100 again.
3.Check the Auto Mask if it's not already checked.
4.Using the brush, go over the missing areas until the entire area is completed covered.

When users survey the image again, everything should now be covered. If not, they can just repeat the above steps until they get everything right.

If photographers are satisfied with the changes, they should make the changes permanent and save their image.

OK - next question.

I have a "free" licensed copy of PS3 coming my way. What does Lightroom do that PS3 would not? Should I have both? Or does PS3 do everything Lightroom does?

Took about 5 minutes to desaturate the background of this image. I just used the adjustment brush and set saturation to -100. The mouse wheel adjusts the size of the brush. Zoom in and use a smaller brush for the more detailed edges. (Note: I am using LR3 but LR4 still has that tool)

LRExample.jpg

OK - next question.

I have a "free" licensed copy of PS3 coming my way. What does Lightroom do that PS3 would not? Should I have both? Or does PS3 do everything Lightroom does?

Photoshop version 3 or is it Photoshop CS3? If it's CS3 it will do everything and more that LR will do. LR is much easier and quicker to use especially if you are working with several shots simultaneously. I prefer both but if I could only have one it would be PS. Although, LR is getting cheaper all the time.

CS3 and 64 bit Windows 7 don't play well together.

Photoshop version 3 or is it Photoshop CS3? If it's CS3 it will do everything and more that LR will do. LR is much easier and quicker to use especially if you are working with several shots simultaneously. I prefer both but if I could only have one it would be PS. Although, LR is getting cheaper all the time.

CS3 and 64 bit Windows 7 don't play well together.
Whoops! Sorry! It's Photoshop CS3. Unfortunately, I am on Windows 7 64 bit...

If your copy doesn't work let me know and I'll try to dig up the patch I used.
Thanks! Will do. I'd hate to do any of this stuff on 32-bit. I have 8GB of RAM in the 64-bit and I'd imagine I'll need every bit of that if not more....

Thanks! Will do. I'd hate to do any of this stuff on 32-bit. I have 8GB of RAM in the 64-bit and I'd imagine I'll need every bit of that if not more....

I'm only running 8gb and haven't felt the need to upgrade. My previous setup was Vista 32 bit and it worked great.

Took about 5 minutes to desaturate the background of this image. I just used the adjustment brush and set saturation to -100. The mouse wheel adjusts the size of the brush. Zoom in and use a smaller brush for the more detailed edges. (Note: I am using LR3 but LR4 still has that tool)

LRExample.jpg

That's the way I've done it in the past.

Ain't that the truth. That's why I'm still on CS3. :doh:

I've been playing around with CS6, first the beta and now the trial copy. Some really neat things offered in it, but I seriously doubt I'll be forking out the money when my trial period ends. Just have to be content with CS4.

Back