• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ABS, gearing change and speedhealer

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
I've searched the forum and can't find anything regarding this. I am planning to pick up a 08 1250S Bandit with ABS. One of the things I'd like to know is if I change the gearing, will it through off the speedometer like the normal Bandit or is the speedo pickup in a different place?

If so, where is it? I think I am likely to drop the countershaft sprocket 1 tooth or maybe go up a few on the rear. If it throws off the speedo I'll definitely want to get a speedohealer to compensate. Does anyone know if it will work with the ABS version of the Bandit?

I've searched the forum and can't find anything regarding this. I am planning to pick up a 08 1250S Bandit with ABS. One of the things I'd like to know is if I change the gearing, will it through off the speedometer like the normal Bandit or is the speedo pickup in a different place?

If so, where is it? I think I am likely to drop the countershaft sprocket 1 tooth or maybe go up a few on the rear. If it throws off the speedo I'll definitely want to get a speedohealer to compensate. Does anyone know if it will work with the ABS version of the Bandit?

The speed sensor on the Bandit 1250 is on the sprocket cover and reads off the sprocket. Changing the gearing will affect the recorded speed, and the ABS model is no different to the non-ABS model in this regard. A Speedohealer is the way to go.

Thanks so much. Since I don't have my Bandit yet, is it on the outside of the cover and just held on with a screw? If so this is similar to my Vee and SV.

I assume they bury the speedo wires you need to change under the tank or seat like most of the other Suzukis.

Not to stir the pot or anything but what is the reason for changing the gearing when you haven't even owned/ridden the bike yet? Are you aware that unlike most motorcycles it makes torque pretty early and even down shifting is optional most of the time on this bike!? :trust:

Yes, I am aware of the abundant low-end torque. It is similar to my Vee and SV. I tend to ride most of the time with a passenger and gear in the mountains and this will help out there. I will ride it for awhile though before I make the change but the speedo is off right now. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Similar in that they are all Suzuki's. Power delivery will be a different world than the V's you are used too.

You are going to like it! :eek2:

Yeah, I seen no reason for a gearing change on the Bandit...The low end from idle to about 4,000 rpm is stronger even than the hayabusa and ZX14 (of course it's a different story after that)...I usually ride between from 3,500 to 4,000 rpm and very rarely exceed 4,000 rpm as it pulls so hard below that even in 6th gear and it pulls the instant you turn the throttle...I had an RC51 before the bandit and the Bandit makes the RC feel like a slug , I mean the difference is so striking it's not even funny.

The sensor is under the plastic cover over the front sprocket, it connects to the harness under the left side panel, which is where you insert the healer connections

MIke

Thanks so much! I've already got one on order though it looks like the ones from my SV or Vee would work.

As for the power output, I tend to be a power junkie. It also depends on where you ride. For example on the V-strom forums a lot of people thought the 650 was plenty enough. Ride the 650 at high altitudes and it runs like a little 350 at seal level.

I did some timed runs at altitude with my Vee and it was slower than a 650 would normally be at sea level. Then add a passenger and an uphill passing situation and I am glad I had the Vee (1000) rather than the Wee (650).

When I'd finally come back down from riding at 8,000-12,000 feet and had a chance to ride closer to sea level I enjoyed the Vee a lot more.

I can appreciate the torque the B1250 has. I am really looking forward to it. I regeared both my Vee and SV, added pipes, modded airbox and a power commander on both. They both pull pretty well. From my limited seat time on the Bandit, I'd say it is about the same as my Vee pulling down low and weaker than my SV. The SV does have a nice, satisfying top end rush too.

Having said that I didn't buy the Bandit to be a race bike but I will almost surely do a stage 2 setup on it. I do miss my ZX12R from time to time. What I am hoping is the Bandit won't be bland have some "soul". The SV has character. The Vee is very capable but sometimes almost boring. As it is modded now it is very competent and a great sport tourer just down about 30 hp from what I'd like.

The Bandit speaks to my mind in many ways. I just hope it will speak to my soul after I have it for a while. I don't want a bike that is like an appliance to ride...

I just dropped my front gear to the 17 tooth and I like it.

Even tho' the Bandit is a Torque monster, it also is geared for the moon.

I'm enjoying the extra grunt even though it wasn't "needed".

Very small price to pay for a performance change. It does run through the gears faster and has crazy power no matter what gear you're in, even more so than stock.

Hi All,

About the speedohealer...
If I understood correctly what I've read about the device, when trying to fix the speedometer accuracy, maintaining the standard sprockets ( 18 / 43 ), will cause the odometer to be immediately off. Is my understanding correct? This means that is impossible to have, on standard settings ( or any others ), 100% accuracy...correct?

As far as sprockets go, its better to add 3 teeth on the rear rather than go down one on the countersprocket: saves chain wear.

Hi All,

About the speedohealer...
If I understood correctly what I've read about the device, when trying to fix the speedometer accuracy, maintaining the standard sprockets ( 18 / 43 ), will cause the odometer to be immediately off. Is my understanding correct? This means that is impossible to have, on standard settings ( or any others ), 100% accuracy...correct?

Yes,that's correct.

I have a smaller front sprocket and think its much better .I also have a speedo healer .I have no idea what i should set it at .With normal
gearing i had it set at -7 any idea what it should be with one less tooth
on the front ?

You are close at -7%, but if you want to improve the speedo accuracy then another -5% may be needed, you should check the accuracy against a known reading and adjust accordingly. I run -13% on mine with 1 tooth less at the front and I find that pretty good against GPS & flashing sign speed readers whilst still reading high

Mike

Back