• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Can someone loan me their JIS screwdriver for my secondaries?

Reaction score
I've been doing my research and I think I want to remove the secondary butterflies on my Bandit. I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible since the wife unit has decided to start college again so I don't want to buy a special screwdriver just for this one job.

Can someone loan me their JIS #0 screwdriver? I will cover your shipping expenses when I send it back to you. Please send me an IM if you would be willing.

Also, one quick question about removing the secondaries. Does it help remove any of the vibrations in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range?

I've been doing my research and I think I want to remove the secondary butterflies on my Bandit. I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible since the wife unit has decided to start college again so I don't want to buy a special screwdriver just for this one job.

Can someone loan me their JIS #0 screwdriver? I will cover your shipping expenses when I send it back to you. Please send me an IM if you would be willing.

Also, one quick question about removing the secondaries. Does it help remove any of the vibrations in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range?

I normally don't loan out my tools, but I can loan you my #0 Hozan screwdriver.

PM me with your shipping address and I pop it in a small padded mailer, and I'll send it first class mail which should only cost maybe $1.50 if that, plus $.50 for the padded mailer which is what I pay for them at Walmart, and if your carefull about opening the padded mailer, you can reuse it again to send it back in.

You also need to heat the head of each screw thoroughly to soften up the thread locker, and my screw driver is in pristine condition, so if it gets damaged at all, you keep it and buy me a new one exactly like it. So thats why its important to heat the screws up to not only make them come out without stripping out the heads, but to also keep from mucking up my screw driver. :rider:

I never experianced any vibrations in that RPM range.

BossMaverick,

Honestly, I would look for a cheaper set of JIS or jewelers screwdrivers locally. I bet shipping to and from MM will cost about as much as a cheap set, and I'm sure MM has a really nice (and expensive) set, that if it gets damaged, you'd end up buying.

I used a cheap set of jewelers screwdrivers and I got my secondaries out with out heat application. However, I do recommend applying some heat to just the heads of the screws, since I killed 2 screwdrivers getting the screws out (with out using heat) The job itself was not a big deal however, it took far longer getting the TB's out than it was to get the plates out.

The vibration you speak of should not be there. Its probably caused by one of two things, either your bike is slightly lean in that hwy-rpm range, and/or you need a TB synch. Removing the secondaries will not make the situation any better or worse (the vibration I mean)

TB synch wise, you will need a set of vacuum gauges, and the lean condition, you could clear up with a Power Commander, a Dobec TFI box, or HealTech Fi Tuner Pro (or a few other fi modules)

In a little while I may have my Fi Tuner for sale as I'm working on getting a PCV + WB2 setup in there.

Ask around, maybe one of the members here lives close to you and they can assist you with the secondaries removal and checking the TB synch (maybe check the Throttle Position Sensor calibration as well)

Hope this helps.

EF

I'm having to take an unexpected trip to the next biggest city over today. I'm going to look for the correct screwdriver while I'm there. If I can't find one there, I think I will very nervously take up MM's offer.

I did a TPS adjustment and a throttle body sync last year which helped but I still have a slight vibration somewhere in the 3,000 to 4,000 rpm range. I can't remember the exact RPM it happens at, but its when I hold it steady at about 60 mph in 6th gear. It probably would help if I got a better set of vacuum gauges since the set I used wasn't the best.

As for a EFI tuner, I don't have the funds for that right now. I know that it would be nice to have but we're trying to pay for the wife's tuition without having to take loans. I wish someone offered a service of just reprogramming the stock ECM for a reasonable cost.

Boss, there is a slight vibe right at 3,500..I feel it slightly in the seat under hard acceleration when the tach goes through about 3,500 since new but perhaps the throttle body was out of sync even then...I don't notice it at a steady pace..The Bandit is so smooth that any hint of vibration is noticeable to me.

#0 JIS screwdriver at McMaster Carr is 4.00. Shipping will run you two to three dollars. Way under 10 bucks total and you have your own.

Part number 53325A13

I got all my JIS drivers from them. Great folks and honest shipping charges.

www.mcmaster.com

I wanted either a 1/4 drive bit or a standard screwdriver with the JIS Tip #0, rather than a minature #0 screwdriver. I thought it'd be easier to exert enough force to keep screwdriver seated and break the threadlock seal with something I could grip better.

I found evidence that a 1/4 inch JIS #0 bit used to be sold, but was unable to locate one I could actually buy.

I wound up buying one through Amazon for $12 delivered, but decided it was too small. I travel to Japan on business 2 - 4 times per year, so I bought a standard JIS screwdriver with a #0 tip while over there last time. I was in a bit of a metropolitan mall, tools are high there anyway, and the exchange rate isn't in our favor to buy things in Japan, so I wound up paying about $25 US for it.

Pretty easy job to remove secondaries with it, though.

Photo comparing the two screwdrivers:

Attachments

• Marion-20120401-00050.jpg
    Marion-20120401-00050.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 146
Well I went ahead and tried it with an American #0 screwdriver. I heated the screws with my basic soldering iron before trying to loosen them. I tried two screws. I felt both starting to deform so I quit while I was still ahead.

I will place an order with McMaster Carr. I went to a couple different websites and each would've been over $10 after shipping. I didn't think to check with McMaster. I will still have to find something better to heat the screws with.

Also, I went for a ride today and paid attention to the vibration. It is right around 3,800 rpm. It is just noticeable if you hold it at that rpm. It's not major enough for me to be concerned with but I was just curious if removing the secondaries made a difference (which I now learn that it doesn't). I don't know why I said 60 mph before since 3,800 rpm is just over 70 mph. 60 mph vibration must've been my old bike.

Back