• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #79 - Fixin' (ENTRY)

Reaction score
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #79- Fixin'

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and Monday, April 23rd midnight.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until Monday, April 23rd at midnight.

All forum posting rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
6936388880_704fccbdde_z.jpg

When I picked the topic "fixin" I had no idea what I would get and I got just about what I expected. There are several very good images, but somebody has to win. So:

K1B1122 - Fixin to drill. I like the sharp focus on the drill. I'm not sure if you manipulated the depth of field so the rest was out of focus or if it just came out that way.

Voni - Fixin to ride. I really like the crisp sillouette effect from the sun rising behind the person packing the bike.

achesley - Fixin to be all jacked up. I like the dog and the building. The band of light is captivating. The stuff on the right side distracts, but may be part of the story.

Tracker - Fixin to dig it. The red earth is captured brilliantly, but to my eye the off kilter angle detracts from the image.

Tim Cannon - Fixin to be leaking, or maybe not leaking. That is an interesting perspective. I think a little got lost because I would like to see more contrast or a slightly darker exposure.

M38A1 - Fixin to .... ? I love the sharpness of the spoon but am at a loss to discern exactly what is going on in this photograph. It is a great image, and if I knew the "story" it would be better. But that may be my fault.

Bob Dahringer - Fixin to go up. Good shot with a lot going on. As with all such shots the parallax detracts a little bit but the sky is great.

Fiddyone - Fixin to put it back together. I like this one a lot. The contrast is good and the detail jumps out.

So - even though I'm not sure what is happening, purely from a photographic viewpoint, M38A1 wins again.

Take it away, Scott!

K1B1122 - Fixin to drill. I like the sharp focus on the drill. I'm not sure if you manipulated the depth of field so the rest was out of focus or if it just came out that way.

I shot mine at f/2.8, so there was a shallow depth of field with the focus on the drill, which does alot of fixin' around my place. :mrgreen:

Congrats, Scott! Is that what I think it is? About to get a fix I suppose. :eek2:

....but am at a loss to discern exactly what is going on in this photograph. It is a great image, and if I knew the "story" it would be better.

Thanks for the nod Paul....

As for the shot, the assignment was titled "Fix'n" and I took a very dark and sinister approach to shooting it. Think drugs, cheap motels, dimly lit rooms, "..hey man - I need a fix". And you have to look close at what's going on as there's more to this than just a spoon.

How I shot this:
An old tarnished spoon
Torchy's Tacos matchbook and burned matches
Rocksalt for the ice cream machine (the crack)
Kayro syrup (it's thick and stays in a droplet) for the drop on the end of the 1cc syringe
A small wattage lightbulb to cast a yellow hue like a cheap motel room
A black piece of posterboard to cover up the white textured wall
An itty-bitty bag that held a lapel pin for the 'crack baggie'
Natural light, no flash

Yeah, I'm out there on the edge a little with this one...

Again, thanks for the nod

Congrats. Mine was just a poorly composed, quick documentation shot.
I liked fiddyone and Bob's shots as much as Scott's.
I think Kory's had a lot of potential if the comp could have reduced the clutter behind the drill or gone for an even greater depth of field. As it was, the background was a little too distracting, I think.
I appreciate everyone that participates--I always learn something from the process.

I thought Kory's B&W conversion was superb. I wish I could pull stuff like that off. The "One World Trade Center" in the bottom right of Bob's shot was no accident I'm sure. That was a nice touch.

Andy? All I could think was how FEW blocks that garage was supported with and thinking of the pup running underneath!

I'll have a new one up today. Anybody have any preferences? Multiple shot entry again? A specific object? Hmmmm..... :ponder:

Great photo concept, and Scott you really went out there for this one. Congrats!!

I was in the middle of adjusting my valves on my Vstrom and decided to take a pic of everything.

'Fixin" This was a great subject, open to wide ranging interpretation as so aptly shown by Scott. Another one of his many hobbies and interests? :eek2:
My shot was my interpretation of trying to fix the New York skyline; whatever is built there, no matter how grand and magnificent, there will never be a suitable replacement for the grace and grandeur of the Twin Towers.
That my shot has a sign for the WTC was just lucky happenstance; my focus was primarily on the cranes working on the site; Im always looking for good crane shots to send to my friend and TWT's resident crane guy Jamie (JAR675) ;-)

Great submissions by everyone else. :sun:

Great subject and lots of entries. I finally got the spoon story after M38 explained it. LOL > shows how much I know about drugs. ;-) Figured I would put another photo up to show continuation of project. It's going to be a sewing room for the wife at 19 x 20 feet. That was my half of the Carport, then reduced to the last quarter, then out all together. Sigh!
002.jpg

Back