• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DR 650

Bugs

Reaction score
All:

Here it is , my first thumper. Got it today in Conroe, $5300 plus tax/title. 2011 model, I've been eying it for six months. What to do first???? I think I'll just ride it.

Mike B

Attachments

• DSCN0502.jpg
    DSCN0502.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 289
Nice looking bike!
Congratulations.

What to do first???? I think I'll just ride it.

Good decision, add gas, do a preflight inspection and go riding. Only after riding the bike yourself under all conditions will you really know what the bike needs or what you want to add if anything. I've seen bone stock bikes ridden for 20K plus miles and highly modified bikes with a long list of add ons costing thousands but only 500 miles on the clock.

miles = riding = enjoyment = value

_

Dig the white. Looks good. As the others said, just ride it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I think you need to park it in my garage next to my Black one. :-P J/K Looks great and no Doo needed. ;-):rofl:

Good decision, add gas, do a preflight inspection and go riding. Only after riding the bike yourself under all conditions will you really know what the bike needs or what you want to add if anything. I've seen bone stock bikes ridden for 20K plus miles and highly modified bikes with a long list of add ons costing thousands but only 500 miles on the clock.

miles = riding = enjoyment = value

_

+ 100

Excellent choice, you will have a ball. I had one for a couple of years ( now have drzs). I personally know 2 people that have 70 and 80 thousand ks on theres and haven't needed to touch the top end.:rider:

All:

Its been a month now with the DR. Things added, Pro Cycle engine skid/bash plate, tailored feeler gauges for valve ck, box of oil filters, and Pat Walsh cargo rack. Also have Cee Bailey tall ws That I don't care for. Its totally fine without it. For any local Houstonian ,50 bucks for the ws, come and get it if interested.

Love the bike. Somehow makes a 60 yr old feel 20 again. Well, almost. The engine is lovely, much less vibration than I suspected. Its smoother in the 60-70 indicated range than a VTX1300 I used to have. I begin to see, the beauty of the thumper engine. Wonderful power band, engine does'nt care what rpm , you ask , it gives.

For break in, a little between factory and motorman recommendations. I changed the oil at 100, and at 660 oil and filter and valve ck. Checked the valves again at 1000, all good both times. The bike gets 58 mpg for a high and 50 for a low. More later

Mike B

You been over to DR Riders yet.

Congrats on the bike. I like mine but mostly use it for trail riding, otherwise I'd take the windshield off your hands.

Bug, love my 09 DR. If you can come ride the back roads of Southeast Texas with us June 30th.

Check my post out. It"s under Dualsports riding upcoming ride/trip.

We meet up at the Donut Palace in Kountze,TX at 7:30am and head out around 8am. Will ride the back/dirt roads from Kountze to Warren, Big Sandy,Sota, Ollie, Moscow and much more.

got my dr in april. been on several rides, trailer and camped in Arkansas (queen wilhelmena park) camped in lukenbach for harvest classic then one week in shriener park in Kerrville road the hill country(etc)
trailered and camped at steinhagen lake and rode western lousiana and east texas.
yep all on the dr. my other bikes sit lonely in the garage (2007 ST 1300,2007 VFR INTERCEPTOR)
SILVEE, I would like to do the back roads Woodville, warren, would you send me the road numbers etc

Back