• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ironbutt ride report for 4/28

Reaction score
I will try and convey what an enjoyable experience it was for me. Thanks to photoryder (Nelson) for all of his hard work in planning, video, and hosting our ride. He made sure we had a witness to send us off, detailed every stop, welcomed us to San Antonio, and a homecoming crew to congratulate us. Thanks to iMotoPilot (Jorge) for sending us off and welcoming us home. He got up in the wee hours of the morning, tracked us all day, and was the first to shake hands at the end.

Thanks to all of you that tracked us all day on SPOT. This was my first time using it so I'm glad that it worked out and everyone was able to enjoy our adventure. It will really come in handy this summer on my two week adventure tour.

Everyone arrived on Friday and met at the hotel. We were all looking forward to this and it was finally here. Traffic was bad coming into San Antonio around 5pm and being able to reroute the GPS was priceless. We decided to go get a beer and get introduced. This ride would be a first for Photoryder, TWTourist (David), and myself. Dutch1957 (Rusty) would be documenting his third on this trip. We talked about the trip details and headed to Target for last minute items. Dutch was clearly regretting a 4am start so the challenge was going to be convincing him that this was a great idea. TWTourist asked to be tailgunner and we agreed that we really didn't have a preference so he was to pull up the rear. We pull out of our watering hole enroute to Target and guess what??? TWTourist could make a 747 blush with his "landing lights!" I can feel my mesh jacket melting onto my back!! I guess I'll need sunscreen afterall for this ride and adjust my mirrors before my retinas get blistered. We eventually go our separate ways and end up back at the hotel. Dutch and I enjoy a slumper party till after 11pm and set a wake up call for 3:15am......

OMG! WHO IN THE **** IS CALLING US AT THIS HOUR!! I manage to find the phone..."It's 3:15 and this is your wake up call" I'm still wondering where the **** I am and when I turn the lights on...who is this strange man in my room? I shake the cobwebs out, jump in the shower, get my clothes on and head out the door. We arrive at the starting point at 4am and everyone is there with coffee in hand already. We get all electronics set, last bathroom break, fuel up, and get ready to ride. Photoryder convinces TWTourist that he needs to ride his Boeing 747 out front and light the way in the dark and then he can fall back to tailgunner....GENIOUS!! I was wondering how I was going to approach this subject.

We pull out at 4:45am and turn west. The ride will be pretty simple, set cruise control and turn around in El Paso. It was just as we planned. Speed was 75 just outside of San Antonio and turned to 80 in Kerrville. I was amazed that the speed never reduced even in the towns with exits. Our average moving speed was 79 mph. We could cruise at 83-85 and never even worry about LEO. We tried to minimize our time stopped and keep hydrated. We passed the time with video, pics, and kept napping to a minimum. We turned around just east of El Paso city limits and headed back. It was good to look up and see that you were headed BACK to San Antonio. As we pulled into the Border Patrol check point we all tried to dime out the next guy and see if we could get them to cavity search somebody. I had my camera ready but they didn't believe my story about TWTourist. The last couple of hours were made much more enjoyable with my Russell Daylong seat and my "magic undies!" I bought a pair of LD Comfort shorts to test and they were amazing. All of our bikes performed flawless and we had no issues on the ride at all.

iMotoPilot was able to track us all day and as we pulled into our final stop he arrived shortly with friends David and Julia. We can't thank you enough for your encouragement and well wishes. It took us about 17.5 hours and ended up being 1052 miles. We took a few pics and decided to celebrate with a beer and dinner. At dinner we all agreed we needed to do this again. We gave Photoryder all the memory chips and he will produce a great video I'm sure. Sounds like a border to border will be next on the bucket list. As we sat there I thought I would never get out of the chair. We managed to get back to the hotel and sleep hard for a few hours. I got up early and headed back to Austin thinking back on a great ride and new friends. It was a great time and I can't wait to do it again. Next time I hope to wake up to a beach somewhere.....

Great report! It was definitely a great experience and having great riders whom I am proud to call my friends now made it all that much better.

The videos and photos are amazing but I have so many that it is taking me a while to edit. It'll be here soon! I need to send Dutch his memory card this week before I forget.

Border to Border is on my bucket list for sure, but I wouldn't mind doing another SS1k or a bunburner. One thing I learned on the ride is that I NEED cruise control...must...get...one....SOON! Lol.

Cheers!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Gixxer,

We were only getting bananas, oatmeal, and greek yogurt for breakfast. Dutch also needed his Boost for the ride. Ironbutt.com has an all inclusive list for the rally and you can adapt that to a SS1000. I can send you my personal list but it isn't anything special. I had a 100oz camelback bladder in my tank bag and made sure to hydrate all day.

Oh yea, I've been all over that list, I just didn't know if there was some magic item you discovered would be good to have along at the last minute.

Very nicely done. The weather was nice, the bikes ran great and everyones riding style were close enough that no one felt as if they were being pushed. It was a pleasure to ride with all of you guys. A B2B is definitely on the list.

Great report !
If you guys do this again soon let me know! I'll tag along on the next one!:rider:

Hey where's the pix? :trust:

Back