• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Senior Photos - Kyle

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
I did some senior portraits of my sister-in-law's brother-in-law (no, not myself :lol2:) two weeks ago. Looking to get some honest feedback so I can improve. I go back and forth on if I think they look any good or not. I'm certainly my worst critic, I still don't feel like I've taken a great photo yet. But at the same time, I'm not about to blame my gear.

Thanks for looking.

7155473644_3794fe67a7_c.jpg

7155475994_7117bca230_c.jpg

7155477972_6ea3c41b22_c.jpg

7155484368_25f44a1712_c.jpg

7155487684_fe2c35cfc0_c.jpg

7155490158_e487edf1bb_c.jpg

7155492502_391066c78f_c.jpg

7155494826_8ce671cf5c_c.jpg

7155497216_5f9608a12c_c.jpg

7155499016_2519b0395d_c.jpg

#4, #6 and #10 are my favs!

Excellent Work on all of them. Good posing used throughout. #8 doesn't work for me as he gets lost a little in the back ground.

#4, #6 and #10 are my favs!

Excellent Work on all of them. Good posing used throughout. #8 doesn't work for me as he gets lost a little in the back ground.

My wife definitley agrees with you on #8. I may just spot him out of the picture, because I like it for myself. :lol2:

Thanks for the feedback. :thumb:

#3 I like the composition, yet he's almost lost due to the lack of contrast between subject and backdrop
#4 Very nice. I'd have trimmed a bit of the space above his head
#6 Very nice! maybe a teensy bit over-exposed
#7 Just begging for some photoshop titling :trust:
#8 subject is lost in the picture. Thought about doing some layering in PS to give the subject color while the rest is B&W?
#10 I like it, yet I think it needs something, but what I don't have a clue.

I ain't a great photographer by any means, just going off of what I see.

Excellent work :thumb: :clap:

Technically I believe they are all excellent.

Yet for a senior portrait, I personally tend to favor the smiling shots over the serious lack of facial expression for what should be a cool moment in his life and anybody sharing the joy. That said, I've got to go with 1,2,4 and 5 with 4 being the favorite.

First of all, congrats to your sister-in-law's brother-in-law!

I agree with Scott about favoring smiling shots for senior portraits. I think you did a wonderful job - they are fabulous pictures! I found it interesting that all the serious pics were the B&W's, while the happier shots were in color. By design?

#1 is a wonderful close-up; #2 has "personality" written all over it - a happy senior! and #4 is another great "personality" shot and I especially like the setting and the clairty of the subject against the rocks.

So of course, gotta go with #1, #2, and #4

Great job! I know y'all are proud of him.

I think #1 is the best. #2 would be better had he been wearing a different shirt that wasn't so big and baggy though it seems to work in the B&W. But I do agree the B&W lacks contrast and the look on his face isn't very pleasant. I also agree that #8 he could have been closer so he didn't get lost in the photo. B&W's can be really good but it's also a challenge to get the right contrast and ... what am I looking for ... I think for portraits the background has to be blurred some. The subject can get lost if everything is in focus. Again they're difficult because we're looking at it in color but the camera is taking it in devoid of color. I like the rest of them. Good job. Rule of thirds, all that stuff.

Back