• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #81: Self Portrait (ENTRY)

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #81 - Self Portrait

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and Monday, May 21st midnight.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until May 21st midnight.

All forum posting rules apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
7210392526_6c0349e662_z.jpg

Thanks to all who entered.

Voni: What a squid! :eek2: :lol2: Seriously though, it's great to see you on the bike. My criticisms would be that I wish the whole bike was in the frame instead of cutting the tire/wheel off. Also, the white balance is throwing me off. It looks like you were battling some harsh sunlight. It's coming across too green/yellow on my screen, but maybe you were going for that. Great smile, you look happy.

PGlaves: This scene looks familiar! I like the bikes, the road behind, and the whole scene. The only thing that is missing is you in front of the camera. :doh: For this assignment I was trying to get people in front of the camera, with at least one eye visible.

Tracker: Looks like you're having a ball of fun here. :lol2: The jury is still out on the tilt of the picture for me. There's a nice yellow halo around your head combined with the vignetting makes it almost look dreamy... or a nightmare. :mrgreen: I like your expression in this one. Nice setup.

1TallTXn: :rofl: I got a good laugh out of this one when I first saw it. Looks like you're one of those super talented people who can practically pop their eyeball out of their head. I like the use of the square crop. I dig the creative expression. My critiques would be that the overall image looks a tad underexposed and seems a bit flat. You should frame it and put it on your wife's nightstand.

tim cannon: It would appear you took advantage of a flash here to give a dramatic effect. Your face looks perfectly lit to me and very sharp. You cut off the top of your head, but I'm not so sure it bothers me. I like the drama in the sky, but I wish the house(s) were not in the background. I would have like to have seen the camera angled to get only the clouds in the background, it would have made for a nice effect.

Bob Dahringer: I like this shot. It looks as if you're in an environment you're very used to, whether that's the case or not. You probably didn't have the space, but it would have been nice to have seen more of what you were doing with showing all of the pen, you're hands, and maybe what you were writing on. Overall a good self portrait.

Fiddyone: In front of the camera and an eye visible, this one fits the bill. I like the use of the pano crop. I wish the focus was more on the eyes instead of your fingers. Actaully, we could probably run your prints from that photo. :mrgreen: It looks like it was a dark scene and a flash or light of some sort was used, and it did a good job of lighting the scene.

Once again, thanks to all who participated. I'm here to pick a winner, so for this one I'm going to go with tim cannon. I really like the clarity/sharpness of this photo and it looks like an excellent use of flash. He really pops when compared to the background. Don't worry, I was not swayed by the awesome mustache. :mrgreen:

Congrats, Tim, you're up.

Thanks!

This was a fun challenge. Ya'll took some great portraits!

As for this shot, I was playing around with poses, focal length, and the flash in the house when I noticed the lighting and clouds from the incoming storm looked pretty cool. I went outside with the tripod, set the camera back to auto focus and took one shot with the remote shutter release before the heavens opened up.

I took the shot with a Nikon D5000 with a VR 55-200mm lens.
The actual focal length was 55mm at F/4. The shutter speed was 1/30s. I used the built in flash in Front Curtain mode.

...I took the shot with a Nikon D5000 with a VR 55-200mm lens. The actual focal length was 55mm at F/4. The shutter speed was 1/30s. I used the built in flash in Front Curtain mode.

That right there shows me you don't need a lot of fancy gear to make a shot happen. The equipment that's out in the marketplace really does a good job in capable hands. And here I was thinking remote strobes/umbrella and reflectors. :doh:

Oddly enough, I didn't notice the similarity between my avatar and my post until today. The avatar was taken by my daughter a couple of years ago while I was fishing (she had been fishing, but got bored).

Back