• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sargent Seat - ZRX1200R

Keith

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Foster
I added a Sargent Seat to the ZRX last week and finally had an oppertunity to try it out. My thoughts and impressions follow, but it should be noted that I'm 6'1" tall and north of 250 (I'm also cranky at times, but that has nothing to do with the review)... ;-)

Better Than Stock?
The Sargent was better than the stock saddle by a WIDE margin, but still wasn't comfortable for the long haul. I began to feel saddle pain (monkey butt) at the 100 mile mark, which is about 25 miles more than the stock saddle was able to provide. My "bumm" also recovered MUCH faster on the Sargent than the stock saddle - which allowed me to take much shorter breaks during the ride. So for "bumm" pain the Sarget was not only better, but even when it did get uncomfortable I was able to simply move around a bit (stand or sit back on the pillion) and keep moving. With the stock saddle you had to stop completely, get off the bike, and then when you got back on you really weren't any better than you were before. I believe the Sargent will get better as the saddle gets broken in. We'll see next week as I have a 300 mile ride planned...

Any Issues?
Now for the bad - Unfortunately, the Sargent lowers the seat height by about an inch (dishes out the main seating area). This works great to reduce the "slide into home plate" feeling you get with the stock saddle, but I didn't need to be one inch lower. Matter of fact - at 6'1" I could stand to be one inch higher than stock. So now - with the Sargent in place - I'm actually 2" lower than I'd like to be....

I have a set of Buell lowering pegs that are suppose to give me an inch of additional room at the knees. I'll need to install these to get back the inch I lost in saddle height. The bike also has 1" bar risers and I may need to remove these as the lowered saddle gives me too much cockpit room for my upper body.

Quality Saddle?
You bet! This is one VERY nice looking saddle. The workmanship is excellent and the saddle fit with no modification to the bike at all. It also comes standard with a fairly good sized tube that attaches under the seat (great for storage of small items). It appears a flat tire emergency repair kit would easily fit in there. The tube is a bit larger in diameter than a soft drink can and just a bit longer.

Changes?
I have a feeling that I'll eventually need to send the Sargent in to have extra gel added. That should give me back some of the height I lost.

Conclusion
Good purchase. I'm pleased with it for now and believe it will address all of my complaints with the stock saddle in the end. As mentioned, I do think I will still need to have it modified slightly, but I need to wait until after break-in to be sure. As a "tall" rider the saddle was not exactlly designed with me in mind, but it's SO much better than the stock saddle that I feel I have a good platform to work with.

Save the lack of seat height, my review of the Sergeant for a VFR800 is virtually identical.

Highly recommended upgrade :thumb: :thumb:

My ZRX came with both a fancy recovered stock seat and a Sargent seat, I have yet felt a need to try the stock seat as I am happy with the Sargent seat on my SV.
I have done a 300 mile ride and been just fine but the pie run to Conroe this last weekend topped 400 miles and my back side was fried!
Time to add a air hawk air pad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I have two ZRXs I'm beginning to amass a few "left over" parts. With the purchase of the Sargent seat I now have 2 stock seats, one "owner modified" seat, and one Sargent. So far the Sargent has them all beat.

I took the Black '01 ZRX out yesterday. It has one of the stock saddles. We did 100 miles and my tail hurt when we finished.

Today I installed the Buell lowering pegs on the Green '05 ZRX (it has the Sargent seat). Only got to take it for a spin around the block, but the initial impression was positive. It appears I got my leg room back!

Next mod for the '05 is actually a reverse mod. It currently has bar risers and they bring me too far up. I'd like a bit more "reach", so we'll pull the risers off and see how that works. I'm thinking "some" forward lean is better than none as it moves the spine angle forward and should relive pressure on the tail bone.

ya still need to try a corbin on a 200+ day....still got my extra one you can borrow
I'd like that. I figure I'll eventually have a Wog, a Corbin, and the Sargent. Personally, I think the hot ticket is a Sargent with Mr. Wog's super nifty super duper padding upgrade...

Back