• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Touring version of Laminar Lip and Burgman 650

R

Red Brown

Hi Folks,

Having used a Clearview XXL wind screen for about a year, it provides excellent wind protection at the expense of three items. The Clearview XXL impacts top-end speed about 8-10 mph, fuel consumption by about 3-4 miles per gallon and slow speed (less than 15 miles per hour) turning. The Clearview XXL due to it's size it quiet heavy and thick.

I then recently decided to try again my old GIVI with a touring version of the Laminar Lip. I fitted the LL on the same level at the GIVI screen. Then I went on a 30 mile high-speed ride.

Results: While not as quite as the Clearview XXL, the GIVI with the Laminar Lip had eliminated all buffeting. The wind noise was only slightly louder than the Clearview. I also noticed the Suzuki Burgman 650 handled better in general once the Clearview XXL beast was removed.

I am going to stick with the GIVI and the Laminar Lip touring combo. I am 5-10 with a 31 inch inseam.

Because all fairings and windshields are different, the effectiveness of the LIP may vary model to model. So mine works quite well. They have extensive models for almost all type of modern bikes. They can be visited at:

http://laminarlip.com/

Another feature of the inverted airfoil is that it increases down pressure on the front wheel. As a motorcycle proceeds down the road, air pressure ( effectively from the front-- although the air really is not moving, the bike is) tends to rotate the motorcycle around its roll center lifting the front wheel and loading the rear. The LIP opposes this action to some degree.

The LIP does all this without your having to add a larger windshield. In many cases it works better than the taller replacement accessory windshields, because although they may be taller, they do nothing to control airflow.

So if you plan to purchase an expensive aftermarket windshield or are fed-up with your stock one, consider getting The Lip for only around $75.

Red

Red Brown said:
The LIP does all this without your having to add a larger windshield. In many cases it works better than the taller replacement accessory windshields, because although they may be taller, they do nothing to control airflow.

So if you plan to purchase an expensive aftermarket windshield or are fed-up with your stock one, consider getting The Lip for only around $75.

Red

I agree :thumb: , Trinity came with a Laminar lip; I am very impressed by how well it works.

The only comment I would add is that it may be best to bolt it down if you ever get on the highway with the Burger. I've personally saw it fly-off when it was secured with the Industrial Velcro. The PO and I were coming back from Arkansas and decided to Kamikazi-it back home on I30, it was not particularly windy, and we were not going particularly fast. Turbulence from a semi knocked it right off and it almost hit me. My buddy called the company and they sent him a replacement Lip with some plastic bolts.

Red Brown said:
Then I went on a 30 mile high-speed ride.

Suzuki Burgman 650

This two things seem mutualy exclusive to me ? :trust: :lol2:

Seriously, thanks for the info, I have been interested in the "Lip".

Doons said:
This two things seem mutualy exclusive to me ? :trust: :lol2:

Seriously, thanks for the info, I have been interested in the "Lip".

It does close to 120 mph, which generates a significant amount of wind blast.

Red

Adan said:
I agree :thumb: , Trinity came with a Laminar lip; I am very impressed by how well it works.

The only comment I would add is that it may be best to bolt it down if you ever get on the highway with the Burger. I've personally saw it fly-off when it was secured with the Industrial Velcro. The PO and I were coming back from Arkansas and decided to Kamikazi-it back home on I30, it was not particularly windy, and we were not going particularly fast. Turbulence from a semi knocked it right off and it almost hit me. My buddy called the company and they sent him a replacement Lip with some plastic bolts.

The 3M fasteners have to be applied correctly. The surface has to be cleaned with soap and water to remove residue. Then it should be at least 70 degrees. I warm the surface with a dryer on high heat. Then apply the 3M locks, then leave them alone for 72 hours. THEN add the Laminar Lip. Sometimes people don't follow this process causing the surface with the fastener to not mate properly.

If one has a very fast "crotch rocket" type of bike, Laminar Lip provides another type of fastener that is more permanent. I like the ability to remove them when riding in slow city traffic for maximum air-flow to the helmet vents.

Red

I have one for my 05 Sprint ST, it is very good quality and preforms as advertised. But I don't like how it looks on my bike, and I found that I like the wind during the summer, so I leave it off most of the time. :)

bowillyard said:
I have one for my 05 Sprint ST, it is very good quality and preforms as advertised. But I don't like how it looks on my bike, and I found that I like the wind during the summer, so I leave it off most of the time. :)

Just a quick follow-up...

With all the 30+ MPH wind today and yesterday, it proved a good time to test the Laminar Lip. With regards to the ST1300, it does NOT really add that much more wind protection. It does help allievate back-pressure as the adjustable screen is moved up. In one particular location, the Lip causes a "howling" noise that is bothersome without ear plugs.

The other thing is for a rider who is around 5-10, the Lip blocks a clear view of the road if the screen is the upppermost postion. This can be eliminated by taking the screen off and placing the OEM screen on the NEXT level up on the bracket.

I have heard from others about the screen flying off at high-speeds. The Lip company can provide free of charge very durable fasteners that requires DRILLING into the stock screen. You always run the risk of cracking the shield unless you use heavy masking tape to offeset the surface tension by drilling on the lexan like material.

Overall, the adjustable stock screen is sufficient for most uses, I just like to "optimize" a little or an excuse to tinker.

Red

Back