• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photoshop CS6. For only $20/mo

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
Photoshop CS6 is supposed to be amazing. But it's $700 for just the basic version, so that's a bit steep for only casual use.

With CS Subscription services, you can get Photoshop (or most of the other stand-alone products) for $20/mo (with 1yr contract).
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/cssubscription.edu.html

With the nearly-annual new releases from Adobe, this would work out in your favor when it comes time to upgrade, as upgrades are included in the plan.

If you decide you need more than just PS, you can get their Creative Cloud subscription for $50/mo (w/1yr contract) and includes everything that's in the Master Suite collection.

I'm not a fan of subscription-based software, but the savings are appealing to me.

Creative Cloud does include LR4.

Anyway, thought you might like to know.

Got Photoshop CS6 & LR4 when they were released. I am still a noob in Photoshop, and consider myself fairly competent in LR. The new Photoshop CS6 is slick, and QUICK sooo much quicker than CS4.

I am even a fan of the new splash / start up screens (yes that is the nerd in me coming out.

i-mKdhcjc-L.png

i-RNCMcdG-M.png

LR4 is more than enough for me!
Figured I'd let the PS whiz kids know abut the deal.

Their splash screens are quite nice. :thumb:

Hmmm it appears that Adobe Cloud members get new features for PS6 that regular PS6 owners don't. Adobe just released ver 13.1 for Cloud members that allows filters to be used as smart objects, and upgraded crop features. Guess they are really trying to twist peoples arms to become lifetime subscribers.

:tab I guess there are a lot of people out there working for companies that don't bat an eye at software that is $500 and up per copy. If like me you need AutoCad/Soldiworks, then add another zero to that. And then you are expected to keep up with all the latest greatest versions as they come out!? I cannot afford to drop that kind of money on just ONE of the programs I need to use every year or two. Between trying to keep the hardware side of things relatively up to date and having it work with the software, it gets expensive!! Heaven forbid something like a motherboard fail. Then you have to get all new stuff because your other stuff is not compatible with the newer motherboards. Then you might as well get the new operating system to take advantage of the faster hardware. Then some programs won't work with the new OS and you have to upgrade them. On and on it goes... A one time upfront price might be okay if you could get the upgrades at much lower prices, but often the upgrades aren't really all that much cheaper than the full version. Then you get the problem that if you have been buying upgrade copies for years and have to do a full reinstall, sometimes the upgrade program wants to see a copy of the full program but will only accept versions from a few years back :doh:

I'm sure it will get to a point that everything will be treated like Apps. In fact, I bought my copy of LR4 as an App. So anytime you upgrade, you just pay for the new App and DL it. If you do need to re-install it, you don't have to bother with finding the original program disc. Just log into the Apple, Google, or M$ store where you already have your account and record of what licenses you own.

The whole cloud concept is just a way for companies to hook people. Heck of a lot easier to get people to pay $20/month for M$ Office 365 instead of $300 for Office Pro, or $50/month for CS6 Cloud, instead of $2599 for CS6 Master Collection ! :eek2: Never mind the fact you'll pay a lot more over the life of the software. I guess Adobe figures by throwing the cloud subscribers a bone by getting features regular software owners don't get gives them solace.

Obviously the pay less as you go but more over time works. The entire credit industry has been built on that model ;-) So it is not like these cloud people are exploring uncharted waters.

Obviously the pay less as you go but more over time works. The entire credit industry has been built on that model ;-) So it is not like these cloud people are exploring uncharted waters.
Not new by any means, but If you buy the lastest version every time they release it (nearly annually) it almost makes sense to go the CreativeCloud route.

For me, I do sporadic video projects. The CreativeCloud lets me use Premier Pro for $30/mo (single month) without having to pony up for the full version which will only get used 2-4x/yr.

Works out for me, so I"m sure others will as well. Course nothing is a perfect fit for everyone.

Not new by any means, but If you buy the lastest version every time they release it (nearly annually) it almost makes sense to go the CreativeCloud route.

For me, I do sporadic video projects. The CreativeCloud lets me use Premier Pro for $30/mo (single month) without having to pony up for the full version which will only get used 2-4x/yr.

Works out for me, so I"m sure others will as well. Course nothing is a perfect fit for everyone.

:tab So with the cloud thing, you can just pay for one month, use it for that month, then pay again some other month if you need it again? Or do you have to pay every month whether you are using it or not? If you can pay just for the month in which you use it, I can see that being a VERY attractive option for many folks!! I thought we were talking about paying the full price but financing it like a car.

Tourmeister said:
So with the cloud thing, you can just pay for one month, use it for that month, then pay again some other month if you need it again? Or do you have to pay every month whether you are using it or not? If you can pay just for the month in which you use it, I can see that being a VERY attractive option for many folks!! I thought we were talking about paying the full price but financing it like a car.
Both options are available.
  • $50/mo for 12mo for every application.
  • $20/mo for 12mo for a single application
  • $30/mo per-mo for a single application.

only thing you have to watch is the auto-renew on the per-month thing :deal:

figure the out of pocket cost for adobe photoshop ($420+ using a google search) vs 20$ a month, for 12 months... (240) or even @ $30 a month...360 if you used it the whole year.

figure the out of pocket cost for adobe photoshop ($420+ using a google search) vs 20$ a month, for 12 months... (240) or even @ $30 a month...360 if you used it the whole year.
For the first year.

if you buy the box, you get to keep the same version indefinitely.

Using the Creative Cloud, you get to keep the latest version with no extra cost. vs having to upgrade.

Depends on the individual I suppose.

I purchased CS6 last year, before the creative cloud anounncement...I will be looking at the month to month next year to keep up with the updates.

So with the cloud thing, where are your images stored? Do you upload them and do all work in a web based environment? Or is all the processing done on your computer? Do you download the program and it only works by checking the cloud to see if your subscription is current?

From what I understand, your photos are stored wherever you want them and you actually download the programs.

When you start Photoshop up it checks to make sure your account is current and if it is, everything works fine. If it isn't, then the programs will not start.

Good explanation here

:tab I guess there are a lot of people out there working for companies that don't bat an eye at software that is $500 and up per copy. If like me you need AutoCad/Soldiworks, then add another zero to that. And then you are expected to keep up with all the latest greatest versions as they come out!? I cannot afford to drop that kind of money on just ONE of the programs I need to use every year or two. Between trying to keep the hardware side of things relatively up to date and having it work with the software, it gets expensive!! Heaven forbid something like a motherboard fail. Then you have to get all new stuff because your other stuff is not compatible with the newer motherboards. Then you might as well get the new operating system to take advantage of the faster hardware. Then some programs won't work with the new OS and you have to upgrade them. On and on it goes... A one time upfront price might be okay if you could get the upgrades at much lower prices, but often the upgrades aren't really all that much cheaper than the full version. Then you get the problem that if you have been buying upgrade copies for years and have to do a full reinstall, sometimes the upgrade program wants to see a copy of the full program but will only accept versions from a few years back :doh:
If you are on the Autodesk Subscription Program you get all updates when they are released, AutoCAD was $500 per license a year. I think Revit is around $800, not sure what the subscription rate is now on the new Revit suite with all versions and Max included. Right now I just use licenses from work (laptop) or an education copy on the home desktop, I would like my own copy but at about $8,000 for the initial Revit Suite I can't justify it at this point. I got my my Revit 2014 Beta email yesterday, so I get to play with the newer stuff even if I can't buy it.

I bought my Photoshop CS5 for $220 about 6 months before CS6 came out on a 12 or 24 hour sale on Newegg.

Last edited:

I got the regular version of PS6 for $200 because I had bought LR4. Most of Adobe's products have a longer lifespan then 1 year. CS5 was released in April 2010, CS6 was released in May 2012. Now if I had to pay $400 for it, and knowing what I know now, that you get extra features with the cloud version, then I would have opted for the cloud version. BUT, I have to wonder what the next generation cycle will be.

For the first year.

if you buy the box, you get to keep the same version indefinitely.

Using the Creative Cloud, you get to keep the latest version with no extra cost. vs having to upgrade.

Depends on the individual I suppose.

Yup, usually I only upgrade most software every other update. For instance, I was using CS4, so I went ahead and got PS6 this go around( I almost never us AI anymore so I didn't need the suite)

The main reason I went for PS6 is because I really like the content aware tech which wasn't available in PS4.

So with the cloud thing, where are your images stored? Do you upload them and do all work in a web based environment? Or is all the processing done on your computer? Do you download the program and it only works by checking the cloud to see if your subscription is current?
Scott (the other one) nailed it.

You download the application to your computer and it runs as normal. Once every 30 days, it has to "phone home" to verify it's still active.

Instead of entering a key, it phones home. Otherwise, functions as if you'd bought the box.

I've used Premier without internet connection for a long weekend with multiple reboots and no troubles. Just make sure you activate before wandering away from the Internet.

Files CAN be shared/stored in the cloud (25gb, I think) but that's not where your normal work flow will store them.

Back