• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A really good reason not to ride in the summer in Texas

Actually, meandering all over the back roads of NE Texas, camping in Davy Crockett State Park and visiting the Caddoan Mounds was wonderful, it was the need to get back quickly and taking 59 all the way that was the horrible part. The long stops on the concrete freeway waiting for funeral processions, accident detours, stoplights at every intersection in the small towns....and by the way...WHERE do people eat and have a nice cup of coffee in Nacogdoches? We hunted all over the old town area, with HOT brick pavers (the beginning of the torturous part of the trip), hoping to find a coffee shop w/ a bakery or something--there was nothing. Certainly there has to be a quaint coffee shop in a college town...

Meh, just got back from a nice 2hr ride in the country. Peaceful, quiet and nice rural dirt roads. Heat wasn't bad at all.

Attachments

• veskimo-9quart-cooler-system-1-400.jpg
    veskimo-9quart-cooler-system-1-400.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 269
One the worst things about Texas: the oppressive summer heat and humidity

On the other hand if you can endure it, year around riding awaits, there is no winter to speak of in southeast Texas anyway.

North Texas gets eleven months of summer and near-summer, and one month of really bad swimming weather....

The grass is always greener. We have 3 months of warm[60-80] weather on the coast and 9 months of bone chilling cold[40-60]. A ride inland during either season results in the appropriate increase/decrease of temperatures. But we do have Hwy 36;-)

90 watt peltier, CPU water block, heat sink, inline pump 200gph. The vest is still in work. It will be poly bags with channels, but I am having issues with heat sealing patterns in there. Was thinking about maybe using a gel vest and instead running water tubing through it.

The big plus though is since its already flowing water, heating isn't but a flip of polarity. So far only in for about $50-60

Sent via VZN Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gooblety gobblety gook...gobblety gook.
The big plus though is since its already flowing water, heating isn't but a flip of polarity. So far only in for about $50-60

sounds like a plan:mrgreen:

How's that snow working out for the winter rides?

That's something they propagate up here to keep the Texans away :trust:

I live in the Denver area, not 45 minutes west where they get snow that hangs around. We had some snow in at the end of last year and a storm or two in February but it really isn't that bad, down here it doesn't hang around very long, I had the top down on the convertible a couple of days later and could've ridden if I would have wanted to. My friend has been up here for 20 years and says that he loses about as many riding days here as he did in OKC. He has a 97 Blackbird with 80,000 miles on it and commutes on it most days, much better gas mileage than his V-10 Dodge pickup even on his short commute.

Summer pretty much became my winter in Texas, the last few years I didn't put more than 1,000 miles on the bike. I just had no desire to ride in day after day of oppressive heat and humidity, riding was no longer enjoyable most of the year. I tolerate the cold much better than the heat, especially when it is 100+ at 10:00 at night like it was much late last summer. We just had enough after last summer, the little bit of winter we have here which seems much milder than the windy, icy winters that my wife and I grew up with in West Texas (Midland/Odessa area and Lubbock for school) and Oklahoma. My wife noticed it quickly, 30 degrees feels a lot different up here than 30 degrees in Texas or Oklahoma. We rather enjoy the lack of humidity and not feeling drenched in sweat just walking out to the car.

Back