• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

brake squeal

whoa

Reaction score
First Name
david
Last Name
day
Not the high pitched kind, this is a low pitch rumble. Kinda like an old dump truck. Comes from the front as I finally roll to a stop. Brakes fine, just makes the loud noise.

Read online to put duct tape behind the pad to reduce the vibration but no help. If that works at all, it may be for the high pitch problem.

The old pads did it as well, the replacement pads started almost right away. Rotors seem OK, but I can check to see if they can be turned. The bike had 7k when I bought it and now has 20k, no difference in the noise.

Any ideas what causes and how to fix the rumble?

Maybe inherent to Triumph?? :shrug: My Speedmaster sounds like that and so did my Sprint ST. As long as the pads are good and the rotors aren't warped you're OK.

whoa said:
Any ideas what causes and how to fix the rumble?

Well if the feel is smoooth and there is no vibration, a pair of earplugs would do good.

Ummm....I've never had this happen on a bike....but my F150 was doing the same exact thing. Low pitched squeal when coming to a stop. It was on the rear and the axle acted like an amplifier and the bed like a speaker. It was LOUD!! Talk about embarassing!. It turned out to be a warped rotor that was wearing the pads unevenly. New rotor and pads fixed it.

You don't turn bike rotors, there is no equipment that well do it, you may be able to get a old brake turning machine adapted to work but seeing how they are not thick enough to take anything off you would be wasting your time. Galfer makes some neat looking rotors and EBC has some too. FYI expect to pay through the nose:giveup: I just dropped 160+ for each of my rotors, the Ma Kaw wants 300+.for one. Do an inspection, see if the surface of the disk is worn below the original surface. Mine was DEEP to the point that I had no more piston to push out. Uneven wear patterns are a sign of trouble to come.

Back