• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

v strom or tiger or keep klr

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a machine with a little more power on the highway. Highway speed where I live is 75-80 mph, not much left in the KLR. Thinking of a V-Strom 650?/1000 or Tiger 800, as a possible replacement. About 90% highway driving 10% Texas dirt/clay riding.
The KLR fits me well and I upgraded the suspension for a 300lb rider. I really don't want to buy a new machine and re-do the suspension. Neither the v-storm or Tiger are great fits for my build, they would need personalization, which I don't mind to much. I just don't want to spend several hundred $$ on the suspension and personalization. I would appreciate any comments on both machines considered.
Thanks

:tab Don't replace the KLR... ;-)

:tab Given your size, I think you'll be disappointed with the Strom in terms of its power, suspension and brakes. I owned a 650 and put about 12K miles on it. The 1000 might be better on power and brakes, but the suspension is still a weak point. I've ridden but have not owned a 1000. The big thing in favor of the Stroms is that they will likely be significantly cheaper than the Tiger, so you could still get either one and pay to upgrade the suspension and also have money left over for accessories. I know some folks will use their Stroms as a DS machine, but I did not like the Strom off pavement at all. I've not ridden a Tiger (the 800 anyway). I would expect good power from them, good suspension and good brakes. However, I would also expect higher cost for parts and work on the bike. At least that was my experience when we owned a different model of Triumph. If you are seriously considering the Triumph, you might also look at the BMW 800GS.

:tab Of course, if you keep the KLR and just get a second bike that is a dedicated street bike, that opens up all kinds of other options. There are a LOT of people on AdvRider and here on TWT that have both a KLR and a 1150/1200 GS. I did until just last week. I sold the KLR because it hasn't been getting ridden since I bought the KTM 530.

:tab If you don't have the option of keeping the KLR and adding a second bike, a used 1150/1200 GS would be a good choice. They have loads of power, great brakes, and the stock suspension is good. They are very popular with large framed people.

I'll go against the comments above. Dump the KLR and get a Tiger Explorer. The BMW would be my second choice if you are as stated above, large framed. For dirt roads the 800 would shine over all the others but may be lacking on the highway for you. The Wee Strom would get you what you have with the KLR when it comes to the highway and be less dirt road friendly. The VStrom would do good on the highway but will lack behind the 800, and KLR on the dirt roads. The Explorer would shine on the highway and be a good dirt road bike. If the BMW needs parts or service you would be spending more on it than the Triumph, Suzuki or Kawasaki.

The only one that can decide what's best for you is YOU.

Posting with Tapatalk for iPhone.

My strom 1k will do 80-90 MPH all day long without complaining. However as previously noted, you will need to fine tune the suspension as it tends to be rather plush under my 230+gear weight. (IMHO anyone my size should just keep suspension work in mind when buying a bike as most will need tweaking anyway)

It is capable off road if you really want it to be much so like a GS would be. If you plan on going that route an upgrade to woody's rims (superlaced spoked) and knobbies or aggressive DS tires is suggested. Also suggested is a drop a tooth in from and gain two in the rear.

Hope this helps

Sent via VZN Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

:tab My only real reason for keeping the KLR is for when you ride dirt roads. If you drop it, you are not out big bucks for minor damage. If you drop the Strom and have no guards on it, again you are looking at a potentially cracked fairing which means $$. Same issues for the Tiger. So for me, it is having a "beater" bike so to speak for when you are riding off pavement and a "nice" bike for paved and real easy dirt roads. IF you can only go with one bike, then the Tiger is indeed a good choice in terms of power, brakes, off road ability and suspension (although I bet at your weight you will want to redo the suspension even on the Tiger, especially if you will be carrying luggage). It has been a few years since I last owned a Triumph, so I don't know if relative prices have changed much, but back then the Triumph parts were considerably more expensive than similar parts for Japanese bikes. I do recall enjoying the triple engine a great deal though. I have ridden the Legend 900, Sprint RS/ST with the pre 1050 engines, Speed Triple with the 1050 and pre 1050 engine, and the Tiger with the pre 1050 engine. Loved all of them! Great torque and sound.

I've got a 2010 Tiger 1050, and although the klr would be much better on dirt, with Continental TKC-80 tires supposed to be coming this summer in the correct sizes for 17" tires the Tiger may be improved for gravel.

It definitely is great on the road and I see some wonderful deals on low mileage examples on the 'net. I'm keeping mine!

I've got a 2010 Tiger 1050, and although the klr would be much better on dirt, with Continental TKC-80 tires supposed to be coming this summer in the correct sizes for 17" tires the Tiger may be improved for gravel.

It definitely is great on the road and I see some wonderful deals on low mileage examples on the 'net. I'm keeping mine!

:tab TKCs really help. In all fairness, I never put any on my Strom 650. However, I think what helps the most with the "feel" of the bike is the larger diameter front tire. It just tends to roll over stuff and be less affected by ruts/rocks/sand than does a smaller diameter wheel. However, the original poster mentioned that he only does maybe 10% off pavement riding. If he sticks to that, then the Tiger would probably do very well. On the other hand, if like so many of the people that start riding dirt roads a little, he starts to drift to more and more dirt... I predict he'd be missing the KLR if he sold it and had only the Tiger. Unless he has a really nice KLR that he can sell for a significant chunk of change to help pay for the Tiger, I would recommend just keeping the KLR and adding the Tiger. Then if he is out and about on the Tiger and sees a dirt road or three he wants to explore, he can. But if he wants to spend a day doing mostly dirt and not have to worry about it getting to gnarly for the Tiger, he can take the KLR.

:tab At last year's Texas Adventure EPIC ride in Arkansas, I took both my 1200 GS and my KLR. The first day I knew I'd be getting into stuff that I would not want to ride with the 1200, so I rode the KLR and we did indeed get into some pretty hairy stuff. The second day, I knew it would be all pavement, but also that if I did hit some mild dirt, I'd have no issues on the 1200, even with street tires.

:tab The problem with dual sport is that it is always a game of compromise. There isn't a bike that can do single track trails and still be great on the highway. It will either be better at one (like my KTM) or the other (like my 1200 GS), or okay for both but not great at either (this is the KLR). This is why it is so critical for the rider to get a handle on exactly how he/she plans to ride the bike. Right tool for the job and all that ;-)

I know, I really need to keep the Tiger and buy a smaller dual sport. I have the same situation as the OP from the opposite side!

I had a DL1000 and had to spend quite a bit to fit me. I am 6'5" and a bit over 300lbs. I added new progressive springs and heavier oilk to forks and then added a Wilbers rear shock. Had to have bar risers also. The cast wheels were beat to heck pretty quick riding my farm and local dirt roads. The motor let go at 27,000 miles when clutch basket came apart putting metal shavins all through the motor. I was 3 months out of warranty and Suzuki would do NOTHING!!! Luckily I bought a burned bike on Ebay that the motor was good and save over $3000 compared to what the dealer wanted to fix it. I promptly got rid of it and bought my 08 R1200GSA. I rode every ADV style bike before I settled on the BMW. I loved everything but the price tag. That said, Robert and the folks at Lone Star made me a great deal and the rest is history. I love my BMW period. I have a KLR650 and a KTM950SE so I have knowledge of the bikes you speak. The KLR is like a goat that goes and goes. Shoot I am riding KLR today(mainly cause I need tires on the other two:lol2:)The KLR is great for what it is and can be set up for a wide variety of riders. I put 86,000 miles on my old KLR. I have not run the Tiger very much, but in my test rides the Tiger seemed kinda cramped:eek2:

Back