PDA

View Full Version : Headlight modulator

Chris Mitchell
01-22-2006, 08:31 AM
I recently have discovered that people are getting much worse about not seeing me and wanting to turn in front of me a lot. I run with my bright headlights on during the day to maximumise the chance they will see me. In sheer desperation I bought a set of Kisan Technologies head light modulators for my FJR. They were very easy to install once I dug down to the headlight plugs on the back of the headlight housing. You just remove the headlight plug from the back of the lamp and plug the modules on to the lamp prongs and then plug the wiring to the back of the module. There is a wire for a photo cell that keeps the lights from modulating during the night time.
The net result is that my headlights flash on and off very rapidly on highbeam now. The reaction from people around me is very dramatic. Some think I am a cop trying to either stop them or get by them. But it is very apparant that they see you and have their eyes on what ever your up to. This has lead me to use the modulators when ever I get into close traffic situations and where ever people look like they are about to turn left in front of me or pull out of a side road. If I use them on IH-35 or MoPac it seems to weird them out so I turn them off unless i really want to send up a red flag and let them know I am around. I am willing to do just about anything to let them know I am trying passing by and want to stay alive.
I bought the modulators at Lone Star BMW bye the way. A bit pricey but I feel my life is worth it.

ben1364
01-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I can argue the headlamp modulator issue from both sides. Having said that, I use them but only in situations that seem particularly dicey.

cmcnamee
01-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't usually throw out my .02 cents worth on this topic, but here goes. I wouldn't inflict headlight modulators on anyone. The few times someone has ridden on a bike behind me with a mdulator going I wanted to rip the headlight off their bike.

Yes, I freely admit that they can get attention, but usually at the cost of being horribly annoying. Do we really want to be annoying other motorists on the road? Most people have a negative enough opinion of motorcyclists to start out with.

I know that many people will disagree with this statement and that's ok. We're all entitled to our opinion so be gentle! ;-)

Carl

bushwhacker
01-22-2006, 06:53 PM
I do not currently have a modulator but I am considering getting them for all my bikes.

Sept 2004 a pickup truck pulled right into me because he did not see me. I currently bear a scar across my nose among other permanent problems.

I am now in a position where I wish I had annoyed the heck out of this guy if it would have meant that he saw me and I think there would have been a much better chance that he would have seen me if I had a headlight modulator.

-

wabbit
01-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I have a modulator.

I use it on the highway when the traffic is thick and on surface streets when there is a lot of cross traffic.

When I ride in a group of bikes I do not turn on the modulator unless I am the lead bike. It is rude to ride behind another bike for many miles with a modulator flashing away.

I like it. It may annoy some people, but I would rather annoy a few people than have someone not notice me and pull out.

Of course, I don't rely on it to save my life, but it is just another tool like a helmet, jacket, reflectors, etc.

bushwhacker
01-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Anybody ever tried this one. It is only $60 plus shipping?

http://www.comagination.com/modBike.htm

Found a write up on web bike world

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/comagination/visipath/visipath.htm

-

ben1364
01-23-2006, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=bushwhacker]Anybody ever tried this one. It is only $60 plus shipping?

__________________________________________________ ___________
I have heard that the Comagination modulator works fine but that it requires a bit of wiring that the others do not require.

Fred D
01-23-2006, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=bushwhacker]Anybody ever tried this one. It is only $60 plus shipping?

__________________________________________________ ___________
I have heard that the Comagination modulator works fine but that it requires a bit of wiring that the others do not require.

Not really, it has pig tails which plug into the bike's headlight socket. You plug the comagination unit onto the headlight, and the wires from the unit into the socket.

Fred
Oklahoma City

buck000
01-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I like my Kisan PathBlazer (and TailBlazer, btw) on the Futura. However, to be honest, I rarely use it lately, flipping it on (they plug into the high beams) when a particulary nasty situation is clearly developing (left-turner a bit of a ways away yet)....

Chris Mitchell
01-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Well I did not intend to set off a fire storm by mentioning the headlight modulators, but I would never ride in a group with them flashing out of simple good manners to the people in my group. But if annoying people around me means they see me and know I am there then so be it. Common sense and good judgement should be the key to when and where to use them. I found that using them on the freeway tended to freak people out and make them even more erratic than they were to begin with, so I do not use them in that situation unless I really want to re-inforce the idea that I am around. Surface streets where people tend to turn left in front of you or pull out of side streets are where I think its most appropriate indeed. I just want to survive a bit longer. :giveup:

ben1364
01-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Speaking of the Kisan PathBlazer and other headlamop modulators, I would like to hear of various placements for the light sensor. I have found a few places but wonder what others have done. Thanks.