• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I finally got me a DSLR.

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
I know.. I know... quit saying "I told ya so".

My little micro 4/3rds was quite the workhorse and I didn't have any qualms about it until.... I took a bunch of pictures at a birthday party. I don't like indoors all that much, and I really try my best to avoid people at all costs and I certainly don't go out of my way to take photos of them, so this was never really a problem. But once put in that situation the lack of low light was made quickly apparent to me. Anything at ISO800 or above was pretty much completely useless, and with the standard f3.5 lens it wasn't exactly a low light monster. Andddd... I'm not a big fan of flashing everyone to death so I try to not use it if at all possible.

Anywho, enter the Nikon... I settled on a combo that would suit my needs and still remain easy and simple to carry. So I ended up with a Nikon D5100 and a 35mm f1.8. That's it, no less, no more. Eventually I would love to get the Tokina 11-16, but that is going to be a little ways down the road.

Here are some sample pictures from just messing around the day I got it.

First picture out of the camera. I have a ritual that my first ever picture from a camera is one of Rachel and this one is no different. Turned it on, Aperture mode, f1.8, take picture. I did do a minor crop to it, but that is it. I didn't want to mess with what the camera was doing just yet.
MessinAround-1.jpg

Just fooling around in the garage with the DOF.
MessinAround-2.jpg

And this was the most impressive so far. This was taken at ISO6400 and f1.8. What you don't see is that literally the room was dark when the photo was taken. We turned out all the lights and the only light coming into the room was from the window behind him. Even the auto focus was having one heck of a time trying to get a lock.
MessinAround-3.jpg

Grainy, sure. Soft, yep. But it was IN THE DARK and it now looks like it was a normal day in that office. I think I'm going to like this thing.

Great camera and the 35mm pure amazing, my years old D80 is itching for an upgrade. Whatever you do, don't read lens reviews.....Camera Farkles will put you in the poorhouse.

Great camera and the 35mm pure amazing, my years old D80 is itching for an upgrade. Whatever you do, don't read lens reviews.....Camera Farkles will put you in the poorhouse.

The D80 will drive the auto focus on non-motor lenses, the D5100 will not. I have them both, the D80 is still a powerful camera. The video on the D5100 is simply amazing, and of cousre it takes great photos too, good choice in my opinion. That 11-16mm or a 10mm-20mm will have you wearing that camera 24/7.

:chug:

First picture out of the camera. I have a ritual that my first ever picture from a camera is one of Rachel and this one is no different.
MessinAround-1.jpg

:argh: Hopefully for the next new camera I'll have gotten better sleep the days before.

I'm excited about your new toy. I can't wait try it out. Er, enjoy watching you use it. :trust:

Congrats on the 5100, but more importantly, congrats on the 35 f/1.8. Nice choice! :clap:

Thought I would add to this thread a little bit. So after lots and lots of shooting with the 35mm lens I wanted to get something a little different. But... I wanted to stay prime, and I wanted to stay fast. I just really like not having a zoom lens. It makes me think more.

So today my 85mm f1.8 arrived and I am loving it. Opened all the way up, it has a DOF of about 1/4" at 2'. The detail is amazing, and I can't wait to experiment more with it.
Pug-1-2_zpsed9353d5.jpg

Nice. Care to share how you shot the last two (faces)?

Shoot-thru umbrella camera left?

Nice. Care to share how you shot the last two (faces)?

Shoot-thru umbrella camera left?

Straight flash held in my left hand about 2' to the left and a little above. Guys tend to tolerate straight flash better than the ladies do. Both of those were taken during meetings in my office at work. They truly were the definition of it is better to be lucky then good.

how is that done...
the cool pic that is black/white with only one persons' color accented?

how is that done...
the cool pic that is black/white with only one persons' color accented?

I did it in Lightroom, but almost any middle of the road photo editing software will do it. Basically you remove the saturation from the entire photo using the brush tool, and then go back in and erase your brush marks over the area that you want to be color. It isn't too time consuming, but it isn't instant either.

Very nice, Bill. And you're absolutely right - shooting with a fixed lens DOES make you think more. Just makes me realize how lazy I've become.

Question about the new camera. Does it have depth-of-field previewing? I sure miss that about my old Nikons and Yashicas.

:clap:
lot's of good stuff there. The B&W of your co-worker is very strong.
Given the distance/lighting challenges of graduation, another great one!

Question about the new camera. Does it have depth-of-field previewing? I sure miss that about my old Nikons and Yashicas.

To be honest... I have no idea exactly what you are talking about.:lol2: I do see what the lens sees although it is not 1:1. The DOF will be fatter when seen through the viewfinder, but thinner when actually shot. I wish I could go deep into the physics of this, but it is over my head. Much like how the DOF on a full frame is thinner than a crop sensor body all while using the exact same lens.
:clap:
lot's of good stuff there. The B&W of your co-worker is very strong.
Given the distance/lighting challenges of graduation, another great one!

Thanks! I must confess about the graduation picture though. I knew going into it that I was setup completely wrong for shooting the kinds of distances that graduations deal. So I borrowed a friend's something-200mm lens for the event. I swapped between that and my 35mm whenever I had the time.

The b&w photo of Vince is probably one of my favorites that I have ever taken. If you know his personality it just makes it even more of a perfect fit.

Okay, so you do see some depth-of-field change through your viewer as you play with the aperture, but it's not 1:1 what you'll actually get on the picture. Did I get that right?

I love technology, but honestly, the science of digital photography is way beyond me.

Two more that I am very happy with:

Jessie, our former screen QC technician, in the screen aisle here at work.
JessieM-1_zps4394d600.jpg

And Mike, our head IT guy, with a nice corporate'ish profile shot for an award that he won.
MikeGolden-1_zpsf43e3ee0.jpg

Okay, so you do see some depth-of-field change through your viewer as you play with the aperture, but it's not 1:1 what you'll actually get on the picture. Did I get that right?

I love technology, but honestly, the science of digital photography is way beyond me.

Oh yeah, you can 100% tell what is going to be in focus and what is going to be blown out. It just isn't to the scale that you see through the eye-piece. For example, the picture of the Pug laying down was just a tad soft towards the left of the frame, but when I shot it, it was much more so. But you can certainly tell what will be soft and what will be sharp.

my old AE-1 Canon film had a button that allowed you to see actual depth of field. The problem was it also didn't let as much light through as the viewfinder view; something about the split mirror deal IIRc.
oops. it is there. how'd I miss that :doh:
jG3jj.jpg

Last edited:
Back