• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New BMW GS's announced

7.jpg

very sharp looking

Very nice looking. Does it have to weigh almost 500lbs though.... sheesh.

What I don't get... 700cc & 800cc?
Same engines, 10hp difference?
Just seems too close to the same bike.

Really like the new color on the 800. Looks great. Would really like to test drive one, but alas that is not easily achievable on new model BMWs.

One of the options for the 700 is a European tiered license power reduction to 35 hp. The 700 also is a lower more street oriented setup. It also has lower cost components (the 800 has inverted forks, while the 650 has standard forks, cast wheels smaller shield, etc.).

Last edited:
Do exhaust pipes on most of the new bikes coming out in recent years HAVE to be so HUGE and ugly!? :huh2:

Do exhaust pipes on most of the new bikes coming out in recent years HAVE to be so HUGE and ugly!? :huh2:

Since it is coming from Europe, I suspect it has a catalytic converter in it. So emissions.

As far as the "new" model. I see it as a tweak of the F650GS (which is 800cc's) and by labeling it as 700, it distinguishes it more from the G650GS single. So now there is less confusion between the single cylinder 650 and the parallel twin 650 (800).

Since it is coming from Europe, I suspect it has a catalytic converter in it. So emissions.

As far as the "new" model. I see it as a tweak of the F650GS (which is 800cc's) and by labeling it as 700, it distinguishes it more from the G650GS single. So now there is less confusion between the single cylinder 650 and the parallel twin 650 (800).

Didnt BMW do this a while back with their 3 series? The 323 was a 2.5 litre, the 325 was 2.8 or something? :mrgreen:

Yes the 323 & the 325 have the same 2.5 liter engine. Yet the 318 had a 1.8 liter and the 328 a 2.8 liter.

This was a highly successful attempt to sow FUD amongst their enemies.

Back