• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #87, Olympic (ENTRY)

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
Use this thread for posting your single entry for Assignment #87 - Olympic

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and Monday, August 13th midnight.

You may post only one entry, but you may change it any time until August 13th at midnight.

I have a slight advantage -

0cc78bac.jpg

Thanks for the entries. This one was tough, I couldn't even get the creative juices flowing enough to submit anything.

philipbarrett: I'd call that more than a slight advantage!! But, this is still a great shot. I really like the composition, not cutting out any of the net or the light. The clouds fill in the sky nicely. I watched quite a few of the beach volleyball games, it was one of my favorites.

Voni: Fun shot! I think a couple of small changes could have made this one a winner. I would have cropped the person out in the bottom right. Then all of the focus would have been on Sparky and the trainer. Also, if you could have got Sparky actually balancing the ball, that would have been perfect.

1TallTXn: Love the capture here. :-D Such a cutie and you actually have her looking at the camera. Looks like she's getting in a good stretch. :mrgreen: She's well separated from the background. My one critique would be that her face looks a bit underexposed. You were battling some tough shadows, so it's understandable.

tim_cannon: Great creativity! I'd love to know how you pulled this one off. It also looks like a mess. :lol2: My only critique would be that the flash/lighting is a little harsh to my eyes. I'm not even sure if that makes any sense.

M38A1: You came up with something! :mrgreen: You can sign me up for the Olympic sized snack bar. :trust: The composition and exposure are spot on. Judging by the time of day, you either bumped up the ISO or used a tripod. Was this taken during "blue hour?" I really like the colors.

So all that being said, a winner must be picked. Philip had the best view in the house as well as a great photo. But, I asked for creativity and I felt that Tim's photo was the most creative of the bunch. He knocked it out of the park. Great job, and you're up Tim. :clap:

Thanks!
I spent a lot of time playing with bright light in the foreground to make sure the background was blacked out. We were in the garage, and the only light was the onboard flash. We had to test different methods of clapping to make the chalk visible. He clapped, he tossed the dust , and finally he just squeezed his hands together quickly to make the dust puff out.

The model is my 17 year old son. He is a trooper, but not quite as fond of my hobby as I am, thank you Nicholas.

Congrats Tim. I was whooped yesterday after work and just couldn't get out to find a location to get my shot. One night this week I may still try to get it done just so I can see what it turns out to be.

Very creative, Tim!

I do have to say that in my submission I left the announcer and table in as the commentators are as much a part of our idea about the Olympics as are the athletes.

Voni
sMiling

Thanks!
I spent a lot of time playing with bright light in the foreground to make sure the background was blacked out. We were in the garage, and the only light was the onboard flash. We had to test different methods of clapping to make the chalk visible. He clapped, he tossed the dust , and finally he just squeezed his hands together quickly to make the dust puff out.

The model is my 17 year old son. He is a trooper, but not quite as fond of my hobby as I am, thank you Nicholas.

Very well done! :clap:

Very creative, Tim!

I do have to say that in my submission I left the announcer and table in as the commentators are as much a part of our idea about the Olympics as are the athletes.

Voni
sMiling

That makes sense. Thanks, Voni. :thumb:

I got pretty lucky with that one. She loves to move and wants to touch everything!

I had a really good one of her brother, but the DOF was a too short and the focus missed his face. :doh:

Nice work, Tim! :clap:
Having used more than a few blocks of chalk, I know that stuff gets everywhere

I got pretty lucky with that one. She loves to move and wants to touch everything!

I had a really good one of her brother, but the DOF was a too short and the focus missed his face. :doh:

Nice work, Tim! :clap:
Having used more than a few blocks of chalk, I know that stuff gets everywhere

In your shot I also like the eyes peeping over the pool in the back... possibly momma making sure all is ok?

In your shot I also like the eyes peeping over the pool in the back... possibly momma making sure all is ok?
That's mom and older brother in the BG.

I was torn on the BG. It's cluttered, but gives it a real-world feel too. :ponder:

That's mom and older brother in the BG.

I was torn on the BG. It's cluttered, but gives it a real-world feel too. :ponder:

To me the background is fine on this one. Cluttered? Maybe, but your chosen aperture has also separated it well from the subject. Maybe your subject should have been something like stretching for the 100m freestyle. :mrgreen:

Back