• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best Roads Near Pig Trail?

Reaction score
My plan is to leave the DFW area on a Friday afternoon on weekend trip and ride the Pig Trail. I've ridden it before and loved it. Need to be back in town Sunday evening.

What other roads connect to the Pig Trail, or are near by, that are worth exploring?

If I get ambitious, I may want to head towards Fayetteville, if that makes any difference to the suggestions.

Thanks!

From Eureka Springs, 62 east to Rogers is pretty sweet. Pea Ridge battlefield is on the way if you like that sort of thing.

Was just up there last weekend. Really dry. Most of the rivers just have small puddles for now. No rafting or canoeing going on.

The Pig Trail (23) runs into 16. Turn left to go to Fayetteville. Turn right to continue on 16, to 21, 123, 74, 7...take your pick. All good roads. Get yourself a map of the area. You can piece together a nice route.

I really enjoy Ark 103 running South out of Oark towards Clarksville. Excellent for first 11 miles heading South down Ark 164.

Blueberry Pie with Ice Cream was great a couple of weeks ago at the Oark General Store. Stop in and tell new proprietors Brian & Reagan the TWT bunch says Hello.

If you like riding really remote stretches of mountainous, super twisting two lane farm roads, You gotta ride Hwy 74 through Newton County. It will make the pig trail seem tame. Start East on 74 from Hwy 23 and follow it East to Ponca, then Jasper, then Mt Judea. From there you can head South on 123 down to scenic hwy 7, or loop back into Jasper via Hwy 374 & 7 North. You will encounter so many twists, super switchbacks, and scenic mountain top vistas, it will blow you away. I have heard many riders say that final section of 74 going over to Mt Judea (locals call it the road to nowhere) is the closest stretch of Hwy you will ever ride to a true European road race course. Remember to watch yourself... Those hills are some steep hills, and wicked corners. Some are blind, & off camber, others have a rapidly descending radius. They have proven treacherous to those riders who tried to overbid themselves. Then there are those locals in their old trucks, who usually prefer to take their half of the road out of the middle.

Back