• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet Wind Noise 'Scarf'?????

Mark G

Reaction score
Months ago there was a discussion about cutting down wind noise in intercom microphones. Someone posted a comment regarding a stretchy cloth product that sort of seals the bottom of the helmet, drastically reducing wind noise. I've googled until my eyes bled, and can't find that particular product. Neoprene neck gaiters aren't the answer...much too hot most of the time.

Anyone?

Motrax Wind Stop Helmet Skirt for $14.99 at Cycle Gear.
stopwind%20picture_310x307.jpg

I’m also interested in reducing wind noise. While riding, the wind noise is fairly loud but I notice that by placing a hand at certain points at the base of my helmet, the noise is reduced quite a bit. Perhaps this gizmo is just the thing?

Anyone have any practical experience with these? Is the wind noise cut dramatically? Seems like it might be uncomfortable or possibly too hot. What keeps them from slipping off the bottom of the helmet?

The NOJ one is the one I remembered, thanks. Both those products are reviewed by wedBikeworld. They like the wind skirt, but not the NOJ thing.

I'm afraid they're both going to be unbearable in Texas.

Even just a plain ol' bandanna around your neck helps to fill the gap between your neck and the helmet. I would guess in-helmet wind noise is reduced by almost half just using this 99-cent accesory. Plus it's probably tons better for cleaning fingerprints of your sunglasses and visor!

Cycle Gear in Austin didn't have the one on their web site, instead they had the other one, the NOJ, but only the "winter" version. Lone Star BMW has the "NOJ" one, but Denise looked pretty dubious about it. So instead she gave me a wind sock to put over the Autocom mike, which may or may not solve the problem I have...the slightest crosswind puts so much wind noise into Suzanne's mike, if I didn't know better, I'd think she's trying to drive me crazy with that "static".

Surely not?:shock:

I swear, the next bike I get will be a BMW, just so I can deal with Denise all the time. Ditto for the next wife. No, no, not a BMW, Denise.

Ear Plugs!! That’s the only answer I’m afraid. I’ve tried the Noj and made my own. The problem is noise coming in from underneath the chin bar and neck roll. It’s especially bad on my VFR because of the straight cut cam gears. Riding in cold enough weather to use a balaclava helps some. It doesn’t matter which helmet either, although fit is obviously important. Some motorcycles produce more ambient noise than others. I find the disposable earplugs work best for me. I just turn up the volume on the Chatterbox and I can hear music or voice just fine. Don’t forget to turn the volume down without the plugs though.
Hugh:rider:

Agreed, Hugh. My problem is wind noise in a microphone. I'll try gluing some earplugs on the mike, maybe that'll help?

By the way, I use custom molded earphones, They're the greatest.

They call them "bandanas", cowboys used them I use them, have for years, keeps the wind noise out of the mike , keeps you warm in the winter, wet it in the summer and it keeps you cool. Dang handy if I say so myself.

bushwhacker said:
These items have probably been removed from the market as defective, inherently dangerous products.

The cause oxygen starvation and lead to accidents.

See this thread -

http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7054

Sorry guys - I just couldn't resist - :rofl:

-

Apparently I'm going to have to quit my job to keep people from getting to punchlines ahead of me.
;-)

CycleCat said:
Even just a plain ol' bandanna around your neck helps to fill the gap between your neck and the helmet. I would guess in-helmet wind noise is reduced by almost half just using this 99-cent accesory. Plus it's probably tons better for cleaning fingerprints of your sunglasses and visor!

And of course blowing your nose, and mining or boogers.

I’ve gone on a couple of trips with guys that were using Autocoms. So far I haven’t seen any other microphone that cancels out ambient noise. My Chatterbox is useless much over 30 MPH for talking. I can hear them great. Four of the guys were riding BMW RTs and one was on a VFR. The price of Autocom seems to be coming down fast.

Mark,

You may have difficulty finding the Motrax Wind Stop Helmet Skirt because most get returned. Simple friction as a holding force is insufficient, so the skirt will not stay put. It slides off the bottom of the helmet and ends up flailing around the rider's neck. Until that happens, however, it cuts wind noise beautifully. Takes about 30 minutes to fail, though.

As for the Autocom, the mic placement and VOX settings may need to be adjusted for Suzanne. Everything I read about VOX on scooters focuses on these two adjustments to being critical. Also a real pain to get right.

Last edited:
vfrhugh said:
I’ve gone on a couple of trips with guys that were using Autocoms. So far I haven’t seen any other microphone that cancels out ambient noise. My Chatterbox is useless much over 30 MPH for talking. I can hear them great. Four of the guys were riding BMW RTs and one was on a VFR. The price of Autocom seems to be coming down fast.

Hugh,
Make sure your mike & speakers are the "Noise Reduction" model NOT the "Stereo" kind. It's written on the plugin (it also has 3 wires instead of 2 & costs twice as much). The "Stereo" type is fine for hearing but useless for talking.

In the never ending quest to quiet up my helmet (Arai Quantum F for reference) a bit, Ive been using this one since late summer ->

http://proline-supports.com/acatalog/Shop_Wind_jammer_21.html

- it stays put > never slips/moves/rolls

- it did help with the wind noise coming from behind my ears/back of neck <insert wind noise jokes here>

- it poses no problems to get the helmet on/off

- i like it and would recommend it. Ordered off their site, here in a week or so - no problems

- between the wind jammer and some increased padding around the ears under the liner and my Etymotics, Im now a happy rider.

- ebill

Although one cannot tell the difference b/w the Windjammer II and the Motrax Wind Stop from the pictures, if the WJII stays in place, then it is worth the price. The skirt does a great job of minimizing the low frequency turbulent air under the helmet--if it will stay in place.

Then again, maybe it just appeared to be quieter to my oxygen-starved brain.

Sleepy Weasel said:
Apparently I'm going to have to quit my job to keep people from getting to punchlines ahead of me.
;-)

There is no shortage of witty comebacks in those 2000 some posts.

:rofl:

has anyone tried any of the throat mic's? They work quite well in Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and the turrets of M1114s - both of which have quite a lot more ambient noise than my bike could ever hope for. I just use ear plugs to cut down on wind noise that I hear.

kocook said:
Mark,

You may have difficulty finding the Motrax Wind Stop Helmet Skirt because most get returned. Simple friction as a holding force is insufficient, so the skirt will not stay put. It slides off the bottom of the helmet and ends up flailing around the rider's neck. Until that happens, however, it cuts wind noise beautifully. Takes about 30 minutes to fail, though.

As for the Autocom, the mic placement and VOX settings may need to be adjusted for Suzanne. Everything I read about VOX on scooters focuses on these two adjustments to being critical. Also a real pain to get right.

Yeah, we've spent hours and hours and done every trick Autocom can think of, and nothing works. Shoei helmets like ours come with a little chin thingie that absolutely does the trick, but falls off when you're on the freeway in heavy traffic. Or so she says. I think perhaps she hates that enclosed feeling and th'ows it away. Litterer.

Don't buy the NOJ thing, I got one for Christmas and I can figure out how to put it on.

bowillyard said:
Don't buy the NOJ thing, I got one for Christmas and I can figure out how to put it on.

First, you put in your left leg...
(ok, so I beat Sleepy to it)

Back