• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sidi Balance Oil --tough enough?

Reaction score
Is the Balance Oil strong enough for Texas style dualsporting and trail riding?

It looks like it's cooler than MX boots and lighter. My thigh got a cramp from holding my foot over the brake pedal. So I'm looking for something lighter. My MX boot (ALphin 3) is also quite hot. I want better ventilation. Hence, my interest in the B. O.

My thigh got a cramp from holding my foot over the brake pedal.

I've always put my foot on the footpeg, but what do I know.

The Balance Oiled is a trials boot, so it will offer less protection than an MX boot. It does make an excellent dual sport and light trail riding boot.

Brake pedals are generally adjustable on dirt bikes Being very tall with big feet, it is an important thing for me. Just make sure that if you lower the pedal you still have the correct amount of free play in the pedal, if you have a disc brake.

Regardless of what boot you have, you should adjust your pedal correctly to fit you.

The pedal doesn't appear to be adjustable (2001 KDX) unless by cutting and welding. The pedal height is perfect when I use the brake standing up. But when I sit down, the pedal is too high so that my heel cannot touch the peg.

My XR is the other way around. The pedal is too low when standing up and just right when sitting down. It is also not adjustable.

Looks like the boot is "water proof". Doesn't that make it hot?

I know it's a risk to use lighter boots. I went down once and got my foot trapped between the swing arm and the wheel, and had to use my free leg to push the bike off me. Haha. Must have been a funny scene if somebody saw it. But I crashed because I was going crazy trying to catch somebody. Moral is to take it easy.

The pedal doesn't appear to be adjustable (2001 KDX) unless by cutting and welding. The pedal height is perfect when I use the brake standing up. But when I sit down, the pedal is too high so that my heel cannot touch the peg.

My XR is the other way around. The pedal is too low when standing up and just right when sitting down. It is also not adjustable.

Looks like the boot is "water proof". Doesn't that make it hot?

All disc brake systems have to have some type of adjustability, even if it is only for free play. Your KDX has a clevis and a pin arrangement that is part of the rod that goes up into the master cylinder. You will see two nuts on top of the clevis. You should be able to loosen one of the nuts and turn the clevis in or out to make it longer or shorter. This will adjust your freeplay. You can adjust it so there is a bit more freeplay in it and it will help you with brake control when seated.

Drum brake pedals like your XR can also be adjusted, at least somewhat. It is just a matter of how soon you set up the shoes to engage the drum.

The Balance is waterproof because it has an oil treatment applied from the factory. I doubt it makes the boot any hotter, but I have not ever worn them. I have never been bothered by any boots being too hot though. Too many other things more important.

Can you use knee pads with the Balance Oil? I've read the top of the boot is lower than regular MX boots. Would the knee pad slide around too easily?

For dual sport use - Yes
For trail riding - No

And I say no to trail riding because you already have proper Alpinestar boots so wear 'em. Get used to the weight, heat and feet positioning and in time you'll barely notice any of that.

If all I had was hiking boots or combat boots it wouldn't keep me from trail riding but you already have some better boots. For serious trail riding I think quality boots are just as important than a helmet for preventing injury.

_

If hot feet are an issue, get yourself a pair of Fox Racing Coolmax socks. I swore by them for trail riding and MX in the Texas Heat. I rode all summer long in the hottest temps. Sure my feet got hot and sweated a lot, but I never noticed it until it was actually time to take my boots off.

Back