• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question(s) for Bandit 1250s owners

1wd

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

So this bike quest of mine has taken some interesting twists and turns (pun intended). I'm riding a Kawasaki Ninja 650R and want to move towards a full size sport-touring bike that will fit me better (6'2"), can handle highway and occasional two-up riding better than the 650. Here are the bikes I have test ridden: (caveat - all of these bikes have more than enough power for me)

Kawasaki zzr1200 - Incredible speed, but a little to much toward the sport side of sport-touring, one of those bikes I'd like to have in the stable.
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - power was there but did not like the gearing of the bike
Kawasaki Z1000 - if I can have two bikes this may be the second!
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - had high expectations, was disappointed in the performance and handling.
Yamaha FZ1 - great bike, just not the one.

I still need/want to test ride the Kawasaki Concours, Triumph Tiger 1050 and the Honda St1300. From what I've read the Concours may make my final list.

The two bikes that are at the top of the list for me and I have already ridden are the Suzuki Bandit 1250s and the Yamaha FJR.

The Yamaha felt great on the highway, wind protection was great, the bike also was fun round town.

The Bandit did not have the wind protection of the FJR (How close can I get to it with another shield)? But what blew me away was the smoothness and fun of the motor. I have never ridden another bike where the term smooth as butter applies. The bandit is definitely in my price range where as the FJR is just outside of it but I would be willing to get a higher mileage one if it came down to it.

So my question for you bandit 1250s owners is, can you give me any other pro's or cons between the two bikes. Thanks.

Hi,

Pros:
Engine (power, torque)
Gear Box
Performance (speed, acceleration)
Relation Cost \ Value
Reaction to mods \ upgrades
With little investment it's a great sport-tourer (with a better screen and a full set of cases )
It's not a thirsty beast (depending of the mood of the driver)
RELIABILITY

Cons:
Wind protection
Weight
Brakes could be better
Unconfortable seat

A lot of info, about all this subjects on this forum.
And, btw, a lot of nice guys!!
:)

Yes, there definitely is a lot of good info on here. Thanks for your input as well. I guess I'm looking for comparisons from riders who owned an FJR and then came over to the Bandit 1250s or still own the FJR and have the bandit. Unfortunately, I can't own more than one bike right now, so I'm gonna have to compromise, although I don't see owning any of these bikes as a compromise.
:sun:

my 2 cents, see my pictured avatar and album windscreen setup...19" V screen with custom cut hinged top is incredible!...I am still amazed at the quiet smooth protection it affords at even 100mph plus sustained..that; and the flipped 180 degreed footpegs and standard 1 1/2" bar risers make mine supercomfy...never rode an fjr though, too heavy for me....

The Bandit radiates less heat than the FJR, handles much better, and with Givi bags has more luggage capacity. The FJR has more bells and whistles but for me, the handling was so poor I traded it for a Tiger 1050. Loved the Tiger but had to settle on one bike due to kid going to college, enter Bandit.

I wish Suzuki would put a 17" front wheel on the WeeStrom. I would buy one in a minute.

I'm glad to hear and see from others on the site that you can get some pretty good wind protection on the bandit. The Madstad adjustable windshield looks pretty interesting. I took a 06 FJR out on a fairly mild day so I didn't have any heat issues at all, supposedly the bike had some mod (think it was factory) to direct the heat away from the rider. I should have a chance to ride the Tiger 1050 within the next week or so. I'm just not sure on the looks of the bike. Was suppose to ride the Concours today, but it raining. ;-(

blchandl2, did you have the bandit and tiger at the same time? What made you pick the bandit over the tiger? Thx.

Hi,

Pros:
Engine (power, torque)
Gear Box
Performance (speed, acceleration)
Relation Cost \ Value
Reaction to mods \ upgrades
With little investment it's a great sport-tourer (with a better screen and a full set of cases )
It's not a thirsty beast (depending of the mood of the driver)
RELIABILITY

Cons:
Wind protection
Weight
Brakes could be better
Unconfortable seat

A lot of info, about all this subjects on this forum.
And, btw, a lot of nice guys!!
:)

I agree with all of the above except the gearbox, but I started my own thread for that. I've been surprised to experience the occasional 48mpg and 50mpg tankful.

The 2009 I took out for a ride was absolutely flawless in shifting, at least compared to my Ninja 650r or any other bike I have ridden. Not sure if you have a gearbox issue???

I have found proper chain slack[AND LUBE] and great oil make the tranny VERY SMOOTH! YMMV:sun:

Last edited:
My only shifting problems are directly related to me being lazy on shifting or ( as said above) maintenance items. Seems the 1250S likes to have its shifter preloaded a bit. At least , that works for me.

blchandl2, did you have the bandit and tiger at the same time? What made you pick the bandit over the tiger? Thx.
Yes, I had them both for a period of time. The Bandit was newer and the nearest Triumph dealer is over 70 miles away. the Tiger luggage is small, the right case in particular due to cut-out for the exhaust. Loved the Tiger engine, the triple is sweet!

Back