• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda NC700X thoughts

foggy

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on the new NC700? At first I dismissed this as an entry level bike (which is part of it's mission) but after looking at one in person and reading a few articles I think I've changed my mind. I think this will appeal to new AND experienced riders. Affordable price for a new bike, lots of accessories that include heated grips, hard luggage, center stand, a taller shield and GREAT fuel economy seem to make for a nice platform for a weekend solo rider type tourer. The reports I've read give it kudos for good handling and legroom also. Suspension and brakes are nothing spectacular but seems to work well and compliment the bike nicely.

Others thoughts?

Craig

November issue of Rider magazine just did a comparison test against a Vstrom and Versys. After reading it I gained a new respect for the base Honda but it still falls short to me versus the Vstrom as 70 lbs heavier and less fuel range. Also the gas filler is under the seat so if you pack up the bike for adventure you'll be stripping it down some to put gas in each time.

_

After a short test ride a few months ago on one of the 1st NC700X's to hit the local dealer, I was really impressed. It has a pleasant pulse with no twin buzz. Just a fun bike with enough (didn't say plenty-my main ride is a C-14 Concours) power for one up travel. I keep seeing concerns about getting to the gas tank when loaded but I personally don't see it being any bigger issue than dealing with a tank bag. Many tailbags clip/unclip pretty easy. I'm guessing most travelers on this bike will have enough room in the available top and side cases along with the huge "gas tank" glove box. Still, a bag strapped on the back of the seat wouldn't be a problem. Just my 2 pennies :)

I saw one in the CTPS showroom a few weeks ago and sat on it. It appeared to be the equal of the DL650 and Versys as far as size, features, fit and finish. I'm not the intended demographic market for this bike and I certainly haven't ridden it, but it appears to be a contender at that end of the market. If the aftermarket develops for it like it did for the DL650, it should do well.

November issue of Rider magazine just did a comparison test against a Vstrom and Versys. After reading it I gained a new respect for the base Honda but it still falls short to me versus the Vstrom as 70 lbs heavier and less fuel range. Also the gas filler is under the seat so if you pack up the bike for adventure you'll be stripping it down some to put gas in each time.

Correction, Rider magazine weight was for a farkled NC700X with adventure protection and luggage. Stock weight is almost identical to the DL650. Also Cycle World got 73mpg during their road test so the fuel range would now be only 37 miles shorter than the Strom. Giving up some Hp and ABS to save $1,300 makes me reverse my position. I now vote for the better looking Honda.

_

I was looking at used bikes, but came close to getting a new touring model. Went home to do some research and decided the hp was a bit less than I was planning on. My last bike had the same hp (63) and a bit less weight (420ish) and I was wanting more hp for 2-up riding.

As I recall the NC has a car engine (Honda Fit). And it has no top end power, so you'd have to short shift. I don't know if I'd like this characteristic. I think this means this is not a good drag racing bike. But the low-end torque lets you get the jump on your opponent (cagers).

I think I prefer to have good power spread over the entire power band.

It's just odd they drop a car engine into a bike. Does this mean it'll go 200,000 miles without valve check like a car engine?

The NC is built in Japan. This is a big deal to me, cuz my two previous brand new Hondas had mechanic problems right off the showroom floor and they were built in Brazil and Spain.

I don't think this bike will ever be the bike that the 650 V-Strom is, plus the V-Strom is a world wide selling bike that has proven it's self. The V-Strom has ABS brakes and the Honda you will have to spend much more to get the Honda model with them. The bike just doesn't have the Adventure Touring look and ride that the American riders are wanting, for me it's much more in the sport bike class. If Yamaha brings the 660 Tenere to the US, both the V-Strom and the NC700X will see sales decline for these models. Honda has Adventure Touring bikes in their foreign market, but refuses to bring them here, I guess they haven't sold all the Harley look'en cruiser bikes yet. I just don't know how long it's going to take the Japanese big four the give us those BMW GS model style bikes here, oh well, BMW sales go on. As far as the NC700X goes, I personally thought it was a nice looking bike, but wouldn't buy it because it's not of the Adventure Touring model of bike that I ride. Some day I will go into a Honda store and they will have something that I would buy besides my new CRF250L, maybe a Translap or the African Twin.

John

It's just odd they drop a car engine into a bike. Does this mean it'll go 200,000 miles without valve check like a car engine?

Well, the two-cylinder NC700 it has the same bore/stroke as the 4cyl Fit, so I guess it would be similar to half a car engine. According to Honda, the valve adjustment intervals are 8k miles for the NC700.

I have to day, thus far... I'm really liking it. Only done one short camping trip but will head out for longer trips soon.

I'm coming from a vstrom 650 that I'm selling with 75k that I put on it myself, so my comparisons between the two are fairly fresh.

If I'm doing MANY hours on the interstate, I'd prefer a vstrom.
If I'm doing mild off-road 20% of the time, I'd prefer a vstrom.

Thing is... in reality, I simply don't do that many interstate miles. More likely to take two-lanes when possible. Nor to I go off road. It's not my thing. I've done it and it was somewhat fun, but I'm more about getting there and less about the ride itself. The only times I go off-road is when I have to get to a campsite or up to a better vantage point for a photo over a dirt or gravel road. Other than that, I'm on pavement.

Add to that, MOST of the time I'm riding it's around town on errands, etc.

So, there's an difference between the riding I'm prepared to do if I have to and the riding I actually do in reality.

When I first got back into riding in 2005 I thought I wanted to do a bunch of travel AND off-roading on a bike that wasn't too expensive so I got a KLR. It was perfect for what I thought I wanted to do, but after discovering I wasn't diggin' the off-road stuff as much as I thought I would, I moved to the vstrom. This bike was also a great value buy and has served me very well on the pavement and some off-road too.

As the sort of riding I really do is getting more dialed in, I thought I'd get one that was a great buy, fun to ride around town, low maintenance since I'm a klutz when it comes to wrenching ;), but one that could manage the little bit of interstate and an occasional dirt/gravel road to get to the campsite or better photo vantage point. Great gas milage was also a bonus, and nimble/light handling around town is pretty sweet too.

It's too early to tell if I made the right choice until I get some longer trips under my belt, but for the riding I actually do as opposed to the riding I thought I wanted to do... this bike is looking like a winner. :sun:

As I recall the NC has a car engine (Honda Fit).

Nope. Not really.

This was best explained by a member over on the NC board -

This is my stock response for "Isn't it half a Jazz/Fit engine?"

Just about everything in technical detail that appeared for the last year on the NC700s was given out at the world press debut and it was there that the NC project leader Uchida made this remark: "I got a hacksaw and cut a Jazz engine in half, but it didn't really run very well so we had to put some more work into the NC700X". It was a throw away remark made half in jest but it has been endlessly repeated because it was made in a room full of journalists and it made it into print and onto the web. That in itself does not make it any more true than it was at the time it was said.

The NC engine and the Jazz/Fit/City engines share virtually nothing in detail. The 270 degree crankshaft arrangement is different, the valve train is different, some are 8 valve heads, some are 16 valve, the fuel delivery system is different, the electrical generating system is different, the water pump is driven differently, etc, etc.

The only detail that is the same is the bore diameter of the 1339 cc auto engine. Other commonalities in the relationship between the NC and the Jazz is the oversquare dimension of the bore and stroke which is common in auto engines (and old fashioned v twins of all makes) and the approximate 1/2 displacement of a 1.3 liter Jazz engine sold in the EC and USA. To date there have been a total of 4 different engines available in the Jazz worldwide and the displacement varies from 1246 cc to 1496 cc. Some are VTEC and some are not.

It isn't "half a Fit engine".

So, no. It was just a tongue in cheek comment by an engineer that grew legs....

A couple of good reads if you're really interested in the NC engine and concept -

http://world.honda.com/NewMidConcept/introduction/index.html

http://world.honda.com/Global-700cc-engine/index.html

p2.jpg

trey

Here's a sign you've got a new bike... I had some new gloves on order at Cycle Gear and got a call they were in. Figured I run over and pick them up before the 4 oclock traffic, but noticed it had started to rain.

I'd normally just wait until the rain stopped or go another day or take my car. Instead, because I realized I hadn't ridden the nc700x in the rain yet... wanted to see how it handled in the rain before I have to find out on a longer trip. At least, that was the rationale I used as an excuse to head out in a downpour that I really didn't have to get out in. ;)

Handled great! But the front tire felt like it was wanting to run along wet tar snakes more that it does with the Metzler Tourances on my vstrom. Could be I'm not really quiet used to street tires yet though.

You have the Bridgestones (some came with Metzlers)? I just replaced them with PR3s...

I really disliked them in the wet -- the Michelins were a wonderful change this morning -- much more confidence inspiring. And you're right on -- they were really bad at coping with tar snakes in the wet.

trey

Well, the two-cylinder NC700 it has the same bore/stroke as the 4cyl Fit, so I guess it would be similar to half a car engine. According to Honda, the valve adjustment intervals are 8k miles for the NC700.

It has the same bore, 73mm; the stroke is not the same (80 vs. 89.4) at some sources, though it is at others
The notion that the NC700 engine is one-half of the Fit engine has been proven to be false.
The Fit engine provides castings and reciprocating mass for two Honda marine engies, the BF75 & the BF90.
No parts are shared with the bike engine. Some reportss state engineering of the engine between the car division and bike division was shared.

Back