• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fuel injection gets better in cold weather ?

Reaction score
So, every little dip we've got in the temps so far I've noticed the bandit 1250 FI gets noticeably smoother...Anyone else notice this ?

Any thing with an ECM will run stronger in colder weather. Colder air is denser air. VERY simplistically put: The puter (ECU or ECM)adds addition fuel to equalize the mixture ratio and builds more hp.

Most any engine will run better in cool air, ECM or not. Same reason, but the ECM does a better job of taking advantage of the thicker air.

+1 to everything above. Cold weather is even more noticeable one an engine with a turbo and intercooler, like my old WRX. Not only is there cooler, denser air, but the intercooler is getting much cooler too. Not to mention most likely you're not also running the AC.

Race cars (in series where it's allowed) use water injection to cool and add density to the fuel/air charge.

Race cars (in series where it's allowed) use water injection to cool and add density to the fuel/air charge.

they do the same with turbo intercoolers. The Subaru STI use to come with one stock (it may still). One of the Subie guys I use to run with would strap a chunk of dry ice on top of his intercooler when he did the Texas Mile

Incidentally my buddy who's fairly competitive in Formula Atlantic claims that the WRX STI is as close to the real racing experience (good & bad) you can find in a street legal vehicle.

Do you guys remember the old 2 strokes coming alive in cold weather. Wow! Not a lot of front wheel wear on the old 750 3 cyl Kawa in the winter. ;-)

The opposite end of the equation -- heat costs horsepower. That's a common theme with the announcers at Indy 500 races.

But here's a more practical demonstration of that. If you drive a little 4-banger to work as I did for many years, you'll of course note the power drop with the a/c running. But if there's a hill you go up every day (for me, it was Loop 12 southbound onto Spur 408), pay attention on those stupidly hot days and you'll feel the additional loss of power to your engine. Yeah, engines love cool weather.

Incidentally my buddy who's fairly competitive in Formula Atlantic claims that the WRX STI is as close to the real racing experience (good & bad) you can find in a street legal vehicle.

They are fun cars. I just had a WRX wagon, but it was still fun to drive. I was doing autocross in it and knew several guys running STIs and they were very fast.

I remember when it would get cold my old RC51 would hit a lot harder when the power came on at 7,000 rpm and it felt stronger...But with the bandit it might be slightly stronger and revs quicker when it's cold but the thing I notice most is it just feels smoother...It's already pretty smooth but it seams on another level.

Back