• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another "Is it safe to travel to Mexico" Thread

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
Please forgive me for starting another thread on this topic, but I am looking for more current status information than was contained in the older threads.

A few friends and I are planning to spend some time at the Big Bend Ranch State park late this December

I was thinking it might be fun to go south of the boarder for one day and night to celebrate New Years. Crossing at Ojinaga and traveling to Coyame or the city of Chihuahua to go in search of UFO's by day and ring in the new year that night?

How safe or unsafe is this?

I see that the State Dept. has issued a travel warning for the state of Chihuahua but the concern seems to be primarily about Ciudad Juarez. Since we will be entering at Ojinaga and avoiding Juarez, will we be OK.

To spend New Year in Chihuahua sounds like fun, but because of the celebrations are we safer or in more than normal danger.

I know everyone has opinions about travel in Mexico but I'm looking for advice from those that have actual first hand knowledge.

Your thoughts?

You could always go "hiking" in the mountains between Turkey and Iraq. Why not? What is the worst that could happen? Right?

Actually I would be more comfortable in the farther from the border towns. They have always had their problems with corruption and taking advantage of the gringos coming over. Most have a non eventfull time, but those that don't have no recourse and no rights under Mexican law. It an't the USSA.

Be carefull and have fun if you go.

Bob. My riding experience in Mexico is limited (one trip) and distant (almost 4 years ago). I'm sure others will chime in with any changes since that time, but from what I read and hear, things are @ at the same Defcon again after a spike in violence. So much so that I am in the earliest planning stages of a return. Maybe sooner than later. (I just sent a possible destination out last night to the nephews based on a Ride Report on ADV.)

I hated the border town we picked for our crossing. And we picked a good one and spent the minimum time there. Still, I simply didn't like any part of it.

I have two concerns with your trip:

1) Your bike and its propensity to breakdown.
2) "Celebrating" in Mexico.

These can be handled, at least somewhat, with preparation and judgment. But they are there.

Other than that, go for it. I might be right behind you. ;)

Maybe it would it be safer to travel in a larger group? Like a dozen gringos on big noisy motorcycles. Wear some scary skull and crossbone leather vest too. Grow out your beard or something. Stop taking baths.

:duck: With "Fast and Furious" handled so well by our wonderful leaders, I'd head out tomorrow.

John

I traveled that same route three weeks ago with no problem. I am headed tp Parras de la Fuente in a couple of weeks and anticipate no problems.

I'd hate to find out that no authorities there are smarter than the ones in McKinley County, NM. :))

+1. A buddy and I crossed into Ojinaga, while staying in Presidio, with the intention of celebrating Tuesday night. We had a nice meal and starting hunting beer. After feeling very unwelcomed we decided that this was not the fun and friendly Mexico of our college days. We then had a very hard time finding a taxi back to the border. I would not suggest it.

Is it too early to say I told you so? He he

Considering I have close ties with several Hispanics with family in Mexico, even they are cautious. One of my friends (the one you met in meridian SP) actually has a 'going to mexico' car. Its old, beat up, and even then they are still very cautious. The women won't wear makeup, and if you didn't buy it at Walmart or target, it doesn't go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking that a Ural would make a good "going to Mexico" vehicle. When they stoped laughing they would feel sorry for the poor gringos driving them.

Someone on a Harley-Strom with freight train lights, however, could be a problem.

I am currently in Guatemala, been here for 5 weeks studying spanish, backpacking, drinking beer, whatever. I rode here from San Antonio, through Nuevo Laredo, Saltillo, SanMiguel de Allende, Oaxaca, San Cristobal, etc. If I didn't read the papers, I would hardly have known there is an issue, although I will say the streets clear out earlier than they used to. It used to be that there would be couples pushing baby strollers in the zocalos at 10 pm, now by 8 it's pretty empty. I'll be back in SA in 3 weeks, mas o menos, ask me then what the return trip looked like.

There were masked mexican army soldiers in trucks patrolling the streets in Saltillo, which can be good or bad. Good they are there, bad they need to be there. The odds are heavily in favor of you not having any trouble, but like anything, there is risk. As others have said, the border areas are most likely to be trouble. I have been treated very well by the mexicans I have had contact with.

Studying in Xela?

I rode through Mexico to Guatemala in February. Zero issues going there or coming home.

A texting teen in McAllen almost took me out, however.

My spanish classes are in San Pedro on Lake Atitlan. My original plan was to take two weeks of lessons there, then two more in Xela, but I liked my teacher, so I signed up for the other two weeks in San Pedro again. After the firs two weeks, I took a week off to do a backpack trip from Nebaj to Todos Santos, arriving in Todos Santos for day of the dead, but that is a whole other story. I am going to Antigua after next weeks classes for some dental work :(

Buddy of mine said it best, Why would I stand outside in the middle of a lightening storm? Sure, the chances are I'm not gonna get hit, but I'd be thinking about it the entire time.

If you can have fun and don't obsesses over it, it's probably ok for you.

Bob, watch this report then decide on going to Mexico. They also address the killing of anglos in Galeana; a favorite destination of many here on TWT. The Mexican Mormon War (Drug Cartels vs. Mormons Full Length) WARNING: Violence and harsh language!

This is like posting a YouTube video of the recent Colorado movie massacre and asking somebody "Do you really want to go to movie theaters anymore?"

Travel advice from those who actually ride a motorcycle in Mexico carries more weight, at least to me, than media reposters.

There are so many ride reports of trips in progress over on ADV right now its almost too hard to keep track of. Those are the guys I'd send a PM to and ask them for their first-hand take on what the risk climate is.

There are scores more from riders who have been there this year. Ask them too.

As for Galeana, send a PM to JDowns, he was there last week, riding all over the back country. That should be recent enough and first hand enough to get a picture of what its really like.

Last edited:
Back