• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Peeling chrome

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Okay, some of you know about my long term, low budget 1976 Goldwing rebuild project. I've got the forks off now and I'm putting in new seals, and dust covers. The lowers forks are in sad shape. Particularly on the right one where the brake caliper leaked a lot. The chrome is starting to peel and flake where it has come off there is some corrosion. Taking care of the corrosion is easy enough, but I'm stuck trying to decide what to do after that.

Basically I know I need to remove all the flaking chrome, but I suspect it will keep coming off. The rest of the chrome on the bike has some pitting, but the budget will not allow for rechroming.

So my options as I see it are:

1. Paint cleaned areas with chrome or silver paint.
2. Leave rest of chrome and paint the lowers black.
3. Try to remove the rest of the chrome and paint the lowers (black, white, silver).

Any thoughts on which is a better choice? Other options/opinions?

thanks,

I would paint them black, but I am not that fond of a lot of chrome. You may want to go silver, but either way I'm sure it will look fine. It is a rebuild, not a restore, so you should be good.

Back