• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Co-Worker Hit

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
One of my employees was hit at Ben White and Lamar this morning by a car that ran a light. He's new to motorcycling, but has enthusiastically done all the right things to get off to a good start. He started with a MSF course, sought advice on gear and bikes and purchased a used Sportster for his first bike.

Early this morning, he got T-Boned in the intersection and suffered numerous severe injuries including a badly fractured pelvis, broken jaw, broken arm and fractured skull. Amazingly (though not mericifully), he was awake and talking. He has a long and painful recovery ahead, please keep Geoff in your thoughts and prayers.

Send him our best Kurt. Please tell me it wasn't an fsra.

Sorry to hear it, Kurt, especially a new rider trying to be safe. :-(

How is he fixed with medical costs? Will he need funds?

Keep us update with his progress. God speed Geoff.

Don't know for sure yet, I meet his family at the hospital tomorrow when they get here from Portland.

Hope he gets well soon.

Let us know if any fund raisers are planned.

:tab I hate to hear this when it happens to anyone, but especially a new rider. They don't have all the miles of great experiences behind them while riding to help them keep positive. They are likely to never ride again. Lord knows the grief they must get from family and friends along the lines of, "See, I told you so..." :roll: I hope he can keep his spirits up and make a good recovery. I also hope this does not wipe him out financially! Even if he has good medical coverage, that may not cover lost wages. The aftermath of that can be as stressful as the physical injuries. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

Went to visit Geoff today and he has moved to St. David's Rehab. He's in good spirits, but bored out of his mind. He's already thinking about a new bike. :-) He still has several months to ponder the decision though.

On a side note I almost (literally) ran into Officer Erskine in the hall. He was on his way to the dining room with friends and co-workers, so it was just a wave and a smile. He looked pretty good all things considered.

Good to hear, Kurt. Thanks for the update.

God speed to both.

Ugh! I just found this thread.

I go through that intersection every morning and I consider it one of the two most dangerous intersections I go through each day. Twice I've had a front row seat to a car running a red light there and t-boning another car. Both times it was westbound on the Ben White service road, hitting a northbound car on Lamar. I think the sideroad traffic often looks right past the stoplight to the next light (for southbound Lamar lanes) and blows it.

I positively... absolutely... NEVER enter that intersection without looking well down the road. Unfortunately that is one of those things a newbie hasn't learned yet.

He's in my family's prayers.

So he is on the road to a full recovery with no lasting issues?

Too early to say 100% for sure. With a pelvis fractured in 4 places, much of it will be a wait and see thing. His prognosis is favorable for a full recovery, but it will be 6 weeks before he gets out of bed to start working on walking again.

Boredom can be a real problem. Does he have a laptop so he can cruise the net? Magazines? DVD's?

Were working on that for him. I was going to drop a load of cycle magazines on him, but wasn't sure how his parents would react.

I am going to be at St. David's week after next with my wife, she is having a total knee replacement (R) she has had 24 knee surgeries, from a fall from the rear of a Honda 90 years and years ago. Dr. said she will be there over 4-5 days, so can you send me a PM and give me directions to drop by and introduce myself? I dread that intersection, and the one in front of Savers parking lot is worse, traffic lines up in two lanes in the parking lot, and vehicles are often hidden in the right turn lane, and pull out in front of you, cause they can't see the "top " of you as you approach as they can cars and trucks. I am always easing thru that intersection.
How's the shoulder, by the way, Kurt?

I sent you a PM, let me know when, I might can meet you for a Jimmy Johns sammich across the street or something.

Back