• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

front sprocket

Reaction score
anyone fitted a 19 tooth front sprocket and if so what alterations are needed, (any mods to the cover and chain length also any detriment to performance.) many thanks Lee

I put a 19 tooth sprocket on a go cart once... too big... I assume that isn't your application though. What yr and model bike would help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well, being as this a Bandit thread, I'm gonna think your talking about that. I looked at that but clearance is might slim with the stock 18 in there on my 1250S. Think I would just mess with the rear and leave the front along.

sorry for for not posting make model my bad, gsx 1250fa same as gsf 1250 well nearly.
Many thanks Lee

going down 3 teeth on the rear is about the same as 1 tooth up on the front. Hope this helps, YMMV. What end result do you want? Less accleration[with maybe increased MpG] and higher top end[if engine can pull it]? Then you're on the right track. Going the other way increases accleration[more wheelies] with the ensuing drop in MpG. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
most of my riding is done 2 up touring with all 3 boxes full, just looking for a little less rpm at cruising speed, but only if the motor will take it, not too worried about fuel consumtion as last trip i averaged 49.5 mpg on all sorts of road from french tolls to austrian passes all done 2 up and loaded, so not to bad.

If you want more power add 3 teeth to the rear sprocket. Sorry, misunderstood your last comment about wanting to reduce RPM's. Not sure if cost outweighs benefits, especially considering loss of pulling power for top gear passing, etc.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying with reference to loss of power by gearing the bike up, thats why i asked if anyone had done it and had first hand experience of the change,
Many thanks Lee

I preferred the 42 teeth rear to the stock 43 tooth rear. Less rpm , mileage to close to see a difference. With all the bottom end of that engine, you still have ALL the get go you will ever need. I notice very little difference in the pulling power from Sea level to 14,000 feet with either sprocket on the rear. But, preferred the lower rpm. I did get surprised by the front coming up faster when getting on the gas to get out of the way of things. I don't need/want that at my young and tender 69 years old. ha ha ha ha. I will go back to 42 rear soon as I need to change out the rear tire. I have a new one in stock. ;-)

I put a 19 tooth sprocket on mine and didn't notice any loss in performance but it sure was more relaxed on the freeway and it also made the speedo just about right on the money. Cheap to do as well. I did have to shave a bit of metal off of one of the cover supports as the sprocket tips just touched on one of them. simple fix.

Thanks for that roll it on, so no major downside on performance.
Thanks all, Lee

Back