• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Front stands that fit our bikes?

Reaction score
Looking to do a fork spring/oil change don't have one with a center pin. Will anyone do!? I recall reading about removing the fairing as well!? :giveup:

EDIT: Also will I be able to do the head bearing as well or will need to make something to hold under the frame!?

Looking to do a fork spring/oil change don't have one with a center pin. Will anyone do!? I recall reading about removing the fairing as well!? :giveup:

EDIT: Also will I be able to do the head bearing as well or will need to make something to hold under the frame!?

I first place a specially sized rod through the rear axle that fits both ends of the axle, and then I place two jack stands underneath each end of the axle rod.

IMG_1906-1.jpg

IMG_1910-1.jpg

I then use my Pit Bull front lift to raise the front of the bike up, which in turn places the axle rod on the jack stands
IMG_1912.jpg

I then place this wooden support stand I made underneath the frame, and then I lower the bike down onto the support stand and remove the Pit Bull front lift. I have since added another cross member to the stand at the bottom to stiffen it up some more, and the bike is very stable when it's on the support stand
Frontforks011.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Thanks MM! Guess I should have mentioned I have a rear spool stand already just not a front one with a center pin just the under the fork kind. Do you still think a rear and front isn't enough to work on the front end safely!?

EDIT: Also what pin size do our bikes use?

Thanks MM! Guess I should have mentioned I have a rear spool stand already just not a front one with a center pin just the under the fork kind. Do you still think a rear and front isn't enough to work on the front end safely!?

EDIT: Also what pin size do our bikes use?

If you want to pull the triple trees for bearing maintenance, you have to place the bike on some sort of support stand like I made so that you can remove the front lift, otherwise all you can do is pull the fork tubes out.

During my recent naked conversion, I had to pull the triple trees off so that I could smooth and powder coat the lower triple tree as well as grease the bearings, and it's so much easier to do without the fairing.

If you want to pull the triple trees for bearing maintenance, you have to place the bike on some sort of support stand like I made so that you can remove the front lift, otherwise all you can do is pull the fork tubes out.

During my recent naked conversion, I had to pull the triple trees off so that I could smooth and powder coat the lower triple tree as well as grease the bearings, and it's so much easier to do without the fairing.

That makes sense thanks! Guess I'll have to build something or find something. Don't they make stands for the side of the bike as well? Off to google/amazon I go! :trust:

That makes sense thanks! Guess I'll have to build something or find something. Don't they make stands for the side of the bike as well? Off to google/amazon I go! :trust:

I'll post up the cut list of 2x4's pieces for the support stand, and a picture of the mine with the extra cross member, as you can build one in about an hour, and the only other thing you need is one 8 ft 2x4, two galvanized 2x4 tee brackets and some #12 wood or deck screws the correct length for all the joints, which can all be gotten at Home Depot.

The support is nice because it's cheap to make, sturdy and the bike is rock solid when it's up on the supports, and the wooden support won't chip or scratch the paint on the frame. :rider:

Gee thats flash .Mines the centerstand and a 4lt can of used paint under the headers .

I used the centrestand and a car jack under things with a block of wood to spread the load

Ditto here on my last front end job (flush forks and new oil, clean and regrease head bearings). Used a scissor jack with a piece of 1 X 4 under the exhaust. No problems. Biggest feat was tying the handlebar with all da stuff on them to an overhead line so it was clear of the upper tree.

Thanks MM!!! :D

Tasman,

The outside to outside width of two vertical supports that the frame sits on must be 14 1/2" in width for it to line up with the centers of the frame tubes, and if it’s any wider or narrower than 14 1/2 “ outside width it won’t work, trust me. The vertical supports cross member must also be at least 3 1/2" down from the top of the supports so that it clears the exhaust.

On the support stand I made, the height from the base to the top of the vertical supports is 11 1/8" which places the frame members parallel against the tops of the vertical supports. So if you are lifting and supporting the rear of the bike using the lifting spools on the underside of the swing arm or any other point other than what I used, you are going to have to make a slight adjustment to the length of the vertical support members to get the frame to sit level on the top of them.

I think I made the two vertical members a little long to begin with and then trimmed the length of them down until I got the frame to sit level on top of them, as it's easier to cut something down then to lengthen it.

All you need to make this support stand is one 8 ft 2x4, two galvanized tee brackets and some wood or deck screws. I’ve got some left over stain from another project, so I’m going to stain my stand just to make it look a little nicer, and like I said the bike is rock solid when it sitting on the rear support and this frame support. :rider:

Framesupportstand-1.jpg

Back