• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just joined from Plano

Adan

Reaction score
Howdy folks, :bigokay:

I’ve just joined this wonderful forum after being invited by Tourmeister from the ADVRIDER forum. I am 32 and have lived in the Dallas area since ’98. Moved here from El Paso/Juarez area where I grew up. I am very fortunate to have two older brothers (6 and 11 years older) that share my passion for motorcycles, so I literally grew up on and around motorcycles. The younger one lives in El Paso and enjoys riding/socializing with a very active local group of mostly cruisers http://www.centauros.com/ The older one lives in Guadalajara, Mex and has been riding mostly off-road lately, but does some two-up touring on BMWs as well.

My first bike was a H 250R three-wheeler that I rode in the streets in Juarez,Mex and off road for a good 3 years (Ahh those two-stroke fumes). We had a group of about 10 HOOLIGAN teenagers that terrorized the neighborhoods with our loud and fast (they seemed awfully fast to us) off-road machines popping wheelies every chance we got. I progressed to street machines after riding a Motocross and a large displacement enduro thumper for less then a year. My first real street bike was a silver & red K GPZ750, the loudest, and probably the fastest, bike I’ve ever owned. I had several other street bikes, including a Y Seca, H Magna, and H VT1100, used mostly for commuting to school and getting across the border quickly. I got hooked on boxer twins some years back after buying a glacier green R1100RT, I had not been as passionate about a power plant since the incredibly smooth & powerful liquid-cooled engine on the H Magna, that engine was virtually indestructible and full of character! The RT was traded-in for a new R1150GS after one of my ridding buddies low-sided in the hill country in an identical machine and got a check from his insurance to replace it. I couldn’t pass up the low interest financing :-) I miss the RT’s radio and incredible protection from the elements, but opted for the GS because of the leverage provided by the large/tall handlebars that results in more “confidence-inspiring” handling in the twisties, not to mention some improved-surface riding capabilities.

For the last three years I have been riding about 8K/year, mostly on 2-5 hundred mile one-day country-road rides to interesting places to eat, and a few 4-day weekend outings to the Hill Country, CO, AK and LA. My favorite one so far was a ride up to Arkansas through Mena to ride scenic 7 and “float” the Buffalo River on canoes. My wife use to ride with me on some of these trips, but now that she is pregnant, it might be a few years before I do any more two-up riding.

A few of us will be getting our monthly “twisty fix” tomorrow (Sun Jan 11) riding up to Muenster for lunch (great German food at The Center). Last weekend’s ride to Goldthwaite to ride 2005 and catch 16 back up to Dublin had way too many straightaway roads. We are meeting at the Starbucks on McDermott @ 75 in Allen tomorrow at 8:30 AM. Anybody in the area is welcome to join us.

I look forward to riding with Y’all sometime, :-D

Adan
Plano, TX
R1150GS Blue/White

:tab Getting a lot of GS's here at TWT :-P Welcome to the site!

Adios,

Back