• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A few astro shots from 2012

TWTim

Reaction score
Here are a few interesting pics I've taken with a variety of cameras and telescopes this year.

Harvest Moon 2012 taken from Fort Davis in September:

314113_4354386710607_178680221_n.jpg

Jupiter, Callisto, Ganymede, Europa, and Io; taken from Midland in Early November:

JupiterAndFourMoons.jpg

Lunar surface, taken in October with a high-filter optic:

CloseWork.jpg

Related fun pics:

WildDuck_SM.jpg

199196_4245685633148_1614049358_n.jpg

Cool stuff Tim! I like the Jupiter shot showing the moons.

Check out the photos this guy has:

http://www.allans-stuff.com/astrophotography.html

He was my next door neighbor for about 15 years, total gadget freak. He's always been into photography, but has really gotten into the stellar stuff in recent years. He's got some pretty amazing stuff.

Here is his capture of the Andromeda Galaxy,

m31-l.jpg

Part of the Orion Nebulae
M43-l.jpg

The whole thing... anyone else see the face and the body?
m42HD2.jpg

To take those kinds of pics definitely requires some high-end gadgetry; guide scopes, infrared digital filters, and -- of course -- a good telescope. The pics I took above were taken with five-inch and ten-inch Meade self-guiding scopes.

Well done work on his part. Looks like he's probably got a good bit of of the gear needed for planet hunting.

To take those kinds of pics definitely requires some very high-end gadgetry; guide scopes, infrared digital filters, and -- of course -- a massive telescope.

:tab He makes good money, has an understanding wife, and has no kids :D He's one of those guys that when he gets into a hobby, he goes in deep. He has an amazing ability to learn stuff thoroughly, FAST, and to remember it in incredible detail. He's one of my "go to" guys when I have questions about things like computers, cameras, and electronics in general. We've been buying our work computers from him for 18 years and he has incredible problem solving skills. He is completely self taught, having nothing more than a high school education. What is funny is that he used to teach some Microsoft certification courses and he did not have any of the certifications he was teaching, hehe.

:tab He makes good money, has an understanding wife, and has no kids :D He's one of those guys that when he gets into a hobby, he goes in deep. He has an amazing ability to learn stuff thoroughly, FAST, and to remember it in incredible detail. He's one of my "go to" guys when I have questions about things like computers, cameras, and electronics in general. We've been buying our work computers from him for 18 years and he has incredible problem solving skills. He is completely self taught, having nothing more than a high school education. What is funny is that he used to teach some Microsoft certification courses and he did not have any of the certifications he was teaching, hehe.

Hmm; exceptionally smart, no kids, understanding wife, and obsessed with pursuing his own intellectual and artistic interests at every opportunity. It seems I've found my doppelgänger.

LOL. :mrgreen:

Hmm; exceptionally smart, no kids, understanding wife, and obsessed with pursuing his own intellectual and artistic interests at every opportunity. It seems I've found my doppelgänger.

LOL. :mrgreen:

He's about your height too :-P

Back