• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin At Night - my perspective...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I was going back through archives and noticed quite a few night shots. I suppose I have quite a few since I really like shooting at night. It's not easy to do, so the challenge is there, and usually the results are pretty nice compared to daylight versions. I'll add more as I find/capture them.

I'd also encourage each of you to do the same. In the end, we'll each have our own thread of our favorite images of where we live at night.

So without further delay... I present Austin from my perspective at night.

Texas State Capitol in heavy clouds
20100103-L.jpg

St. Edwards University
20100124-L.jpg

Stubbs BBQ
20100926-L.jpg

The Paramount Theater. Austin
DSC_0578-1-L.jpg

6th Street
2011_ROT_Rally-1072-L.jpg

Pennybacker Bridge under moonlight
DSC_2092-L.jpg

Downtown/1st Street Bridge
DSC_3311-4-L.jpg

Congress Ave.
DSC_2867-3-L.jpg

South Congress Ave.
DSC_7151-2-L.jpg

Zilker Park/Downtown
DSC_0030-2%20copy-L.jpg

Some great shots!

I really like the the BBQ sign, bridge under moonlight and the ATM shot. (all are good but those really leap out at me for some reason).

:thumb:

Nice body of work being presented here sir.

Is this the beginning chapters to a yet to be published coffee table book for $60.00 a piece. "Austin @ Night by a Motorcyclist".

Thanks....

I wish, but in all honesty I'm not near good enough to make a book of any type. Although the though has crossed my mind once or twice. I just like shooting at night.

Thanks....

I wish, but in all honesty I'm not near good enough to make a book of any type. Although the though has crossed my mind once or twice. I just like shooting at night.

Dude... seriously. Go to the Hilton Garden Inn downtown, in the lobby there is a coffee table book of Austin.

Your shots are light years beyond what is in that book. Seriously.

Last edited:
Very nice. It's amazing how the city skyline has changed. The blue lights over the marquee, the halo effect over the capital ... some very nice shots that are ready for framing.

Have you shot much on campus? Some of the settings there can take on a new meaning at night.

I enjoyed much. Thanks.

You should get over to the Eastside entertainment district. It still has that gritty perspective without having to wander too far into the hood.

A little gritty, Eastside style.

#28 (B&W film)
FE_Roll_1%20%287%20of%209%29-L.jpg

Grumpy (B&W film)
FE_Roll_1%20%286%20of%209%29-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back to SOCO

Are we dead yet?
20100925_SOCO-6186-L.jpg

South Austin Central Fire Station
20100925_SOCO-6194-L.jpg

Half empty or half full?
20100925_SOCO-6259-L.jpg

She works hard for her money
20100302-155-L.jpg

Best Wurst
20100926PecanSt-065-L.jpg

Hey Cupcake...
DSC_7133-6-L.jpg

Zilker Park/Downtown
DSC_0030-2%20copy-L.jpg

Somewhere in there is the sleepy little college town where I was raised :giveup:

Thanks, Scott .... great pics!

Very nice work, Scott. I love shooting at night, but I don't get to do it nearly enough. I really like your shots. :clap:

Very nice work, Scott. I love shooting at night, but I don't get to do it nearly enough. I really like your shots. :clap:

Thanks Kory.... It's tough to find or make time, so you just have to schedule it!

I really like your work. Everything you shoot, it's obvious the effort, thought and planning you put into each shot. I'd be interested to see your cull shots because they're probably better than most shots I keep.

Your stills and night shots trump the shots with people because it's always so hard to capture the smells, sounds and emotion involved in that shot at that moment.

As for a book.......you suffer from one of the best/worst diseases a photographer can have: Perfectionism. I'd be willing to bet that even the shot you feel is the best shot isn't quite what you wanted it to be or you feel it could be just a little bit better. But if you took a poll here, with this forum full of average folks with a smattering of really good photographers, you'd find that your work is worthy of a book. :photo:

That's 2 cents worth of opinion from a guy who still misses film and rues the day black and white film went away.

Back