• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Finally bit the bullet

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
After much thoughts though Ying and Yang, I finally purchase another DSLR. I guess it's still a DSLR as it's a Sony A57 . Now to get a lens for it which I'm really leaning to the SonySal 18250. In fact I have bid on one at Ebay. Then a few filters for it after I have it in my hands. So, back to my bigger tank bag with a foamed pocket for the camera. I'll just be carrying the camera with the one lens on trips and rides about the area and far from the area.
So, the New Year will be filled with learning the ins and out of this camera. Wish me luck. My last big camera was a Canon D1000 Rebel which I sold it with extra lens to get the G12 a few years back.

Why the new purchase? Were there shortcomings with the G12 in a motorcycle use case scenario?

Sounds like an itch he just needed to scratch. :mrgreen:

Have fun with the new gear.

Sounds like an itch he just needed to scratch. :mrgreen:

Have fun with the new gear.

:trust::trust: Was pretty much the main reason. A few things the G12 would not do for me at certain times. I don't like to keep the rear lcd screen expose in the tank bags any more than needed and it and the view finder are useless on the move. In bright sunlight when even stopped the LCD is pretty much usless and I'm not going to carry a hood or get in all kind of crazy posistions to be able to see it. :lol2: Every once in awhile, I come upon something I love to video while rolling. The Sony has a one button push for that. The G12 you have to have the LCD screen in action , plus turn the selector to movie. Kinda ruff to do with one hand and keep the road a priority. IN traffic, not gonna be grabbing any camera :rider: I've kinda trained myself to do everything by feel and with one hand on the G12 and the Minolta Z6. The G12 being much easier and a fast camera than the Z6. The Z6 has an electronic eye viewer ( probably where sony got the idea from when they bought Minolta ) so you can see what the settings are when 1/2 pressing the trigger. G12 is just a plain look though view finder with no info but can see it's zooming .
Why sony, guess the same reason most all my friends ride cruisers or big touring bikes and I"m a KLR/Bandit person. :trust: Something different. I'm not much of a follower. :lol2: 90% of the cameras I see rap about is Canon or Nikon.
\Now, waiting for finale bids on the 18250 SonySal lens

Did get the SonySal 18250 lens. Now, for them to get here next week sometimes ( I hope ) and let the learning process begin. Also plan to get a set of filters for it. UV and CP and think good ones are gonna be 80 to 100 bucks more. With luck, I'll have just 1100 bucks into this project. I hope I hope I hope LOL

Back