• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's up with Super Sport riders?

JRW69

Reaction score
Did a few hours today to enjoy the beautiful weather and stopped in at a Shell station. As I was pulling in there was a group of 6-8 sport riders in the parking lot. About 2-3 three start pointing at me and laughing. I thought one was going to walk over but he just waived me off and turned and walk back to his group. I guess I'm glad I didn't pull up to them. I'll take it that I'm not cool enough or a "real" rider with my little TU250. Oh well, not riding for them anyway, just a shame though I think. I thought it was a brother/sister(hood) of being on 2wheels (or three) that it was all about, not how many CC's. Now I know why I ride solo. Still a beautiful ride this afternoon!

Yeah I have gotten the attitude from so called "sport" riders before. I've heard it all, that 750 is a girls bike, how do ride that thing on the highway, and a bunch of other BS. I just ignore it and ride my own ride. Real riders don't care what you ride, only posers do.

Like every other community, there are cliques within the motorcycling community. Ignore them and do your thing.

Had to look up a TU250...

What a neat bike! I'd bet that makes for one fun ride!

I really wouldn't read that much into it. You have no idea what they were laughing at. It could have been the bike, or you, or just some private joke they have. Don't take it personal, especially if you don't even know if it is.

Well , I guess you`ll just have to buy a bigger bike :giveup:

JK. They must have been some young guys ???

Yeah I have gotten the attitude from so called "sport" riders before. I've heard it all, that 750 is a girls bike, how do ride that thing on the highway, and a bunch of other BS. I just ignore it and ride my own ride. Real riders don't care what you ride, only posers do.

Only things I've generally heard about my Shadow 750 are:

"Nice bike"

"Those things run forever" :rider:

I have experienced the same reaction from sport riders when I pulled up on my Honda ST1300. I just smile to myself realizing that I likely get to ride more often and certainly cover more miles than any of them will any time soon.

Sure they may cover a stretch of road a little faster but I doubt they enjoy it more. At least these type usually wear helmets and protective gear...;-)

I've caught some flak here and there for riding ST bikes but eh I get over it. One dude gave me lots of crap till I found out he had never ridden outside of the DFW area. He basically hopped from bar to bar via 820 and 35 at well over 100 MPH. That was his entire riding experience.

Generalize and assume much???
This sport bike rider could care less what you ride it effects me not in the least.

To the tour riders that think they enjoy grinding out miles more then I enjoy the same miles at a faster pace with more rest stops.... I would hafe to disagree.

:lol:
Squids and posers ride all types of bikes cruisers, sport bikes, tour bikes, adventure and everything else.

Anyone getting feathers ruffled at what another rider has to say about the bike they ride might want to look inward first at why they ride.

A rider happy to just ride cares not what someone else says about the ride, just that they do ride.

Enjoy your bike.

Last edited:
Don't be hate'n on posers :rofl:

I would not pay any attention to them. Some of the most fun I have ever had has been on smaller motorcycles. Come ride with us on the pie/camp runs and you will see interest in every shape,size,brand,and cc of bike. There are riders of smaller bikes that will give those boys a run for their money in the twisties. One pie run there was a small red dual-purpose Yamaha that brought a ton of attention. Another TWTer Carl and I rode my wifes 250LTD around the neighborhood and had a blast. We both have big/heavy 1000cc rides. It is a real pleasure riding the smaller less complicated and lighter motorcycles. Drew

Another thought, just go look at their bikes and ask some questions. Most people are interested in talking about their stuff. You might learn something and they may be disarmed.

You also never know what riders might be riding that day. Rman loves to ride his TW200 to town but on another day just try to catch him on a gravel road on one of his other bikes....

Psh, I've gotten attitude from just about every motorcycle group out there when I wasn't riding something that matched what they are riding.

But each group is different. Riding an ST bike I waved to a Harley rider who flipped me the bird. I also came up on a group of Harley's in Colorado while riding my sport bike and they were putting along at 35mph, but they saw me coming and waved me by.

Some people are stuck up and enjoy looking down on others. Don't let it ruffle you, just go back to riding and smiling.

As negatively as we are judged as a total group from those who don't ride, you'd think we would be less judgemental and more supportive of each other regardless of brand, size, etc. Many times we are, many times not.

To flip the original scenario of this post around, I'd say the smaller bike riders can dish it out too. Just say anything less than a glowing complement about their bike to a wr250 rider and see for yourself. :lol2:

Only things I've generally heard about my Shadow 750 are:

"Nice bike"

"Those things run forever" :rider:

You must not hang around too many Harley guys.

When I had my M50, I got a lot of "When are you going to buy a REAL bike?"

Now with the Versys I just get a lot of "um...what IS that thing?" :)

in my exp, most of the race bike riders i've encountered are inconsiderate.
btw, i dont call the race bikes "sport"

In my opinion, it all comes down to what makes an individual ride and how they see themselves... It's no surprise that a lot of riders judge others, because I would guess that to most people who own a motorcycle it mostly serves as a lifestyle accessory or more importantly- a symbol of how they see themselves...

Some sportbike riders get them because they are a symbol of machismo, speed and danger- making all other less capable bikes a joke. On the other side, many who buy cruisers get them as some misguided symbol of their rebellion or tough guy image (even though they are the most common bikes here in Texas and seem to mostly be ridden by doctors, lawyers, suburban soccer dads who like to tie on a doo-rag on the weekends)...

How's that's for some more passing judgement? :)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have nothing against anyone or any bike, well unless you put me in danger somehow. These were young(ish) probably 21-25yr olds if I had to guess. It didn't bother me, I was just writing about what I came across yesterday. No harm, no foul, I still enjoyed my ride. It is nice to know (or maybe not so nice) that most have experienced some sort of none approval because of what we ride. I'll go back for a visit when I get my ZRX. J/K

Now these were way more interesting and fun to watch!

Attachments

• 2013-01-06 14.24.47-1.jpg
    2013-01-06 14.24.47-1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 95
Thanks everyone for the comments. I have nothing against anyone or any bike, well unless you put me in danger somehow. These were young(ish) probably 21-25yr olds if I had to guess. It didn't bother me, I was just writing about what I came across yesterday. No harm, no foul, I still enjoyed my ride. It is nice to know (or maybe not so nice) that most have experienced some sort of none approval because of what we ride. I'll go back for a visit when I get my ZRX. J/K

Now these were way more interesting and fun to watch!

I bet the zebras were faster in the turns than the sport bike riders.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Drew

Back