• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seeing the light...? Flashes

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
:tab For anyone into flash photography, you know that Canon and Nikon are proud of their hardware! But there seems to be a relatively new (last few years) contender in the market making great strides and getting good reviews. That player would be Yongnuo (no idea how to say it, but I heard it pronounced in a YouTube as "Yong no"). I have been reading reviews of various models on blogs and Amazon, and I have watched some YouTubes on them. Most folks seem pretty happy with their performance and quality.

:tab Here is their most recent offering that works for Nikon/Canon:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professional-Speedlight-YN-568EX-Speedlite/dp/B00ANHKQ4U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_6]Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon[/ame]

It even works with the Nikon wireless commander mode for off camera control. I found a few reviews as well:

YN-568EX Speedlite Review

YongNuo YN-568EX – TTL & FP HSS Flash Review

:tab The lowest price I have seen is around $175 compared to something like $500+ for a Nikon SB-910...

:tab Anyone have any experience with this brand, good or bad?

Re: Seeing the light...?

Anybody...? :ponder:

Nope. I'm a 'company' man.... Ping Bill, he's got some of their stuff.

Sorry, I have an investment in Vivitar 283 flash. I have about 4 units, remote flash, special battery packs and chargers, flash filters, special holds...

Yea, it is all 30 years old.

You'd be wayyyyy surprised at how many people still use the 283 units today. 99% are off-camera workhorses fired via remote triggers since they have a tendency to fry modern day DSLRs from the hotshoe.

Sorry, I have an investment in Vivitar 283 flash. I have about 4 units, remote flash, special battery packs and chargers, flash filters, special holds...

Yea, it is all 30 years old.

Same here!!!!
(Man,you have to be old...!):rofl:

I'm looking at one now on the table next to me. Am I old too? lol

Back in the day... all the pro photographers used the 283. I remember the press core following the president had 283s with a simple white card taped to bounce the light. I had a special holder for that but the pros travelled light.

I did a few wedding, numerous portraits and an endless stream of expensive hobby shots using all kinds of photo equipment but always 283s. The last one I bought was from a NY shop and was clearly a lower quality unit. I wonder if it was a knockoff.

I have three and all work. The first was purchased in 1980. You can do a lot if good work with one 283 on a lightstand with an umbrella and a bounce board

Anybody...? :ponder:

hmmm, very interesting.
bought my triggers through these guys Cowboy Photography in Dallas

I've got a set of the Yongnuo wireless triggers and they've worked well. I've got a used Nikon SB-28 that I shoot in manual mode with them. These were shot with the SB-28 through an umbrella using the triggers.
20121222-DSC_0013.jpg

20121223-DSC_0062.jpg

Last edited:

I've got a set of the Yongnuo wireless triggers and they've worked well. I've got a used Nikon SB-28 that I shoot in manual mode with them. These were shot with the SB-28 through an umbrella using the triggers.

:tab I have a barely used SB-28 (bought it new 15 years ago). Will work on the body in manual mode. I was just thinking I'd like a decent on body flash with the ttl metering.

:tab I have a barely used SB-28 (bought it new 15 years ago). Will work on the body in manual mode. I was just thinking I'd like a decent on body flash with the ttl metering.

TTL would definitely be nice for a quick shoot. It does take me time to setup in manual mode, although I'm getting faster. :)

Scott-
If you're looking for an inexpensive ttl mode, poke around for an SB600. They can be had for about $200 these days.

Scott-
If you're looking for an inexpensive ttl mode, poke around for an SB600. They can be had for about $200 these days.

I'd definitely do this. My daughter got me the SB-700 for father's day last year. I'd love to pick up another one some day too.

Nope. I'm a 'company' man.... Ping Bill, he's got some of their stuff.

Yep, I have their non-TTL model as I mainly use triggers and am in full manual mode. For $75 their non-TTL flash is the best money you can buy. It was the flash that we were playing with that I brought down to Houston with me. I honestly couldn't be happier with it and am thinking of picking up a few more. For the money I could have a 4-flash setup for less than the cost of a single SB-900.

Now that being said, I have no idea how well their TTL stuff works as I have never played with it yet.

OK gents, so why flashes and not studio strobes if you're doing studio style work?

OK gents, so why flashes and not studio strobes if you're doing studio style work?

For me it was portability as well as cost. I can carry every bit of camera equipment I own in one small camera bag, and one bag that has my tripod, light stands, umbrellas, and reflectors. If I went with studio strobes not only would I be out much more money, but now I am in my truck to try and carry everything.

The downsides are that I don't have as quick of a recycle time on shots, and I can't overpower full daylight so I have to be choosey on where I shoot.

I dont have a modern DSLR and if I did I don't know if I would attach an older flash to it for fear of frying the synch circuit. Some flashes have high current running through that connection.

Last edited:
Full retail is around $350, but I have seen a few places selling it for as low as $275.

edit:
Looks like the cheaper places are sellers in Hong Kong, so there may be extra charges for customs and there is also the time factor. B&H Photo, Amazon, etc, sell them for around $350.

Last edited:
Been reading up on this on. It appears to be the real thing and is compatible with Nikon CLS. Which is a plus!

However, there are a lot of complaints of it being DOA upon delivery, which is promptly replaced by the seller, but still aggravating.

There are also complaints of it overheating, and shutting down. Which doesn't surprise me as that is a similar problem that has plagued the Nikon SB-900. My SB-900 has done it a couple of times during heavy use, but at least I can say that when it comes to the 900 reviews, they were not mis-leading. The SB-910 has corrected this problem though on the Nikon flagship flashes.

My gut instinct on this is buyer beware, but for what its worth, there are more positive reviews than bad. And in my opinion, the SB-700 is a better choice and is cheaper too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-700-Speedlight-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0042X9L6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358053296&sr=1-1&keywords=sb-700"]Amazon.com: Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Back