• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How to pack a Bandit ......

Reaction score
Well seeing as how there is about 4 feet of snow on the ground, what better time to start thinking about doing some camping and riding this summer :giveup:

I've wanted to do a week long ride/camp trip with my daughter for a few years now however it’s taken me that long to season her into the rigors of touring. I hope she is finally there, last summer while caught in a major thunder and lightning storm she chose to :rider: vs returning via car, that has to be a good sign.

I've read a ton of stories of extended rides that many of you have gone on, I'm hoping that you can help me out with what and how to pack the Bandit. I'm thinking that the top case will have to go to make room for a tent and sleeping bags.

I would love to see some of your pictures, geared up and ready to roll. :eat
photostream

photostream

photostream

I'm assuming you're going two-up; you didn't specify. That does tend to make things a little more crowded. Here's a story, including a ton of pix, from a TWT'er who two-up'ed with his wife from Texas to Alaska a couple of years ago, on a Vstrom. Not a Bandit, but the general frame sizes are similar. Maybe this'll give you some ideas.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668295

WOW !!! that report just killed most of my morning, I loved it, not sure the boss would approve but oh well.

The information was perfect, nice to see that the top case can be kept and still have room for gear. I have a few months to master packing before I actually have to ride.

Thanks for the help, and new desktop image!!! Some of the best travel pics were in that post.

Attachments

• 488377_10151190383977079_1918329791_n.jpg
    488377_10151190383977079_1918329791_n.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 46565_1558345924320_4022827_n.jpg
    46565_1558345924320_4022827_n.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 143
By the way, I bought my Strom from that guy. He had two identical red DL650s - he kept the one that went to Alaska; I bought the "fresher" one. Yeah, cool report. It's part of what convinced me that that VStrom was what I wanted.

So, is your daughter riding two-up with you, or will she be on her own bike? Makes a huge difference in packing style.

I don't remember exactly what JGlow used, but I've seen bolt-on rack kits that can be retrofitted to most top boxes. They allow you to go pretty vertical. Just remember that if you're carrying a bowling ball, put it near the bottom. :rider:

I'm not going to lie, after reading the Alaska post I've been thinking about the V !! If he could manage to carry his wife on the back seat for 500+ miles per day and still be married then its a great indication as to the comfort level of the V.

I know with the Bandit the rumblings coming from the rear seat on a 500 mile day would drown out all other noise!!

My daughter will be riding 2 up for the next 3 years (13 years old). Both she and I cannot wait till she is old enough to get her own wheels ..... perhaps a V is in my future after all :rider:

One thing i did notice in the post though was the # of times the V was laid down while stopped. The first time i saw one i commented that the seat height seemed to be rather high, not sure my wife would be as receptive to landing in the ditch as J's was :giveup:

I'm not trying to sell you on a new bike, although the Strom would be a good one. But you already have an excellent bike - frankly, one that got heavy consideration when I bought my 650. But if you can do it on a Strom, you can do it on a Bandit. Have a great trip.

Thanks Tim. I'll have to get a few pics when we are geared and ready to roll out, but alas that's going to be a few months down the road.

Oh how I envy you southern riders. Your winter = my summer :puke:

FWIW, Before the Bandit on my 650 Nighthawk we went camping. Bride sewed two thermal/plastic coolers straps together to sling over the pillion. Cooking/camping supplies on one side. Clothes on other. Rolled up sleeping bags one on top of each[with duct taped swimming air mattresses]. Tent/tarp rolled up and bungeed under headlight resting on fender[minor wear marks]. Always found a grocery store to buy fixings for supper and breakfast. We loved it-will go on Bandit with new Cortech soft luggage this summer. Oh, expandable tank bag for small stuff. Practice FULLY packing SEVERAL TIMES including an hours ride one way to see how it all works. Good luck! Pictures are a MUST!

Also GPS, cell, tablet with dc cords set up to charge off bikes battery.

Anyone else looked inside their front fairings and thought "what a waste of useable space"?
If only there was a way to easily access this area. It could be used to store first aid kits, tyre repair kit, wet weather gear, cell phones, wallets etc.
Just need to figure out a neat and tidy way to make access lids and storage boxes in there.

There's some info over here. He's got more pics of his dirt bike riding than the bandit though in his actual ride report. Friend of mine rode across the country and back on a bandit stopping to ride dirtbikes with friends and family along the way. But the thread starts off with his questions about packing the bandit.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41526

Anyone else looked inside their front fairings and thought "what a waste of useable space"?
If only there was a way to easily access this area. It could be used to store first aid kits, tyre repair kit, wet weather gear, cell phones, wallets etc.
Just need to figure out a neat and tidy way to make access lids and storage boxes in there.

I've tried that with my VStrom fairing. I had this idea that I would mount some small pouches for glasses, garage door opener, etc. Turns out that practically all the space is needed for steering. I did, however, manage to cram my Stebel horn into a corner in the lower fairing.

Back