• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #99, Cold (COMMENTS)

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Use this thread for posting your comments, and/or current/prior work for Assignment #99: "Cold".

This assignment, lets put our creative caps on and capture Cold in an image. Your challenge is to make me feel *Perceive* cold by viewing your image.

You MAY provide a simple title to your image if you believe text is necessary to set the context of your submission.

Two wheeled content is not required for this assignment.

Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, or even film; all shooters are welcome. Post processing is allowed for this assignment. All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and Monday, January 28th at midnight.

Last edited:
Brrrr....

IMG_0316800.jpg

Re: Assignment #99, Cold (Comments)

So again, I struggle with this. I'm getting a 'personal' aspect you want in the submission based on the wording "...make ME [sic] feel cold".

I see a subtle difference in making YOU feel cold vs portraying just cold. Like a frosty mug of beer could portray cold, but a person mid-air off a diving board into a pool with snow around it would make YOU feel cold.

Over-analyzing? :giveup: Sure is a sunny day here too. :giveup:

Here ya go, hop in. Maybe it will get your mind around the cold aspect a little better.

111_1174.jpg

I think you're two shots are exactly what I'm struggling with and the assignment. The bike on the trailer to me just says "cold". The pool makes me feel cold looking at it.

But if you didn't have the bike in the first shot on the trailer, ie: on the road with some gear on it, I think it would make me feel cold instead of just being cold.

See the subtle differences? I just want to get it right for the assignment.

Don't think about this to hard.

What I am wanting is for your image to convey a feeling. I want that feeling to be cold. Each and every one of Desert Skies photos convey the feeling of cold to me.

A simple photo of ice cubes would also convey cold to me.

I chose "cold" for this assignment to give all that choose to participate latitude to create an image that is interpreted by the viewers "cold", instead of something like, take a picture of an Apple. I truly hope that I am promoting creativity.

Last edited:
OK, concept #1 isn't going to fly real well.... The idea came from my athlete friends who typically take an "ice bath" after a hard event or workout. The super-cold water contracts the muscles keeping the blood supply tight and close allowing for the best oxygen transfer which equals faster muscle recovery. So yeah, they sit in a tub filled with cold water only and dump multiple bags of ice in it and just sit.

I was contemplating having one of my friends come over and shoot them in the tub in an ice bath. I was going to put the SB700 with a blue filter under the ice cube layer and hopefully have that flash provide for some cool diffusing up to the athlete sitting in the tub in their tri-shorts/top. For the topside exposure, I was going to do typical studio portrait lighting with them holding a coffee mug and wearing a hat.

My flash unit works on remote just fine under the 10-12" of water I experimented with tonight. I set mine up on Remote which is visually triggered by the popup flash from the body in Commander mode. I'm not sure how a wireless radio transmitter would work through the water though???

Where I ran into an unintended result was, the ice cubes didn't really do anything spectacular. I was hoping to get a really fractional look through them, but I suppose they were too white with air bubbles to begin with. Maybe store bought ice would be different since it's a lot more clear?

Anyway, I'm not sure this idea of Cold is going to fly..... On to concept #2. :doh:

i-bp5ZKsN-L.jpg

Re: Assignment #99, Cold (ENTRY)

Well, I'm no photographer but I have this "cold" thing down. :eek2:

P1010297-X2.jpg

P1010187-X2.jpg

IMAG0520-X2.jpg

IMAG0544-X2.jpg

IMAG0548-X2.jpg

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the time period requirements. I got excited. :doh:

Last edited:
Folks, re-read my rules for this assignment and wanted to clarify the true intent of my thinking. I have since added the word Perceive to better elaborate on the theme.

Hope this helps.

Think Cold Blooded, Cold Hearted.... Doesn't necessarily need to be 'temperature' cold if I understand the latitude...

Back