• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cafe Racer Build!!

Reaction score
Hope you guys are ready for another long thread on a custom build Cafe racer! I know I'm eager to post and learn!

So I have been playing around with the idea to start building a cafe racer about a year ago. I have finally decided to pull the trigger. This week has been an exciting and costly week for myself. I have recently purchased a 1976 honda cb550F super sport engine a 19" front wheel and a 18" rear wheel. And today just bought a CB550F frame off of ebay. (all items have been off of ebay) I am almost at a stopping point due to finances. Really wish I already had 6 grand saved up. I decided to go the route of buying every little part by its self or as a packaged deal for god knows why. I actually think it will be more bad *** personally.

I've been reading some other forms and have also been looking at and liking the front end suspension of modern crotch rockets/ street fighters. So I have also decided to purchase a yamaha r6 front end. Although I'm sure I'll run into some hazzards doing this with the bearings on the steering rod on the Tripple trees. I'm buying the tank and body from BCR. I'm looking for a boxy/square swing arm if anyone knows where to get one let me know! I have a ton of work ahead of me and I'm thinking I might be getting in over my head...But if you dont learn to swim you get out and jump back in! Once I learn how to post pictures ill show you guys the progress and purchases!

Are there any skilled mechanics in the houston Area that would like to help me tear down my engine and clean it? teach me a few things? I have nice cold beer of your choice for the help!!

Good choice for a start. I tore my 1970 CB750 (mutt) down a few years ago and have had it on the side until I get rid of my 1979 GS1000 and 1980 CB750.

Good choice on the BCR as well, I am considering their whale tank/seat. I am also looking at Carpy's exhaust.

:popcorn:

I am almost at a stopping point due to finances.

help me tear down my engine and clean it? teach me a few things?

this is one way to go about it.
ideally you would have a complete running titled bike & lots of parts before your broke. this may take longer than you anticipate. good luck

Yeah I really like Carpy's exaust! but he only builds them for 750's... I'm going with BCR's steam punk Seat with either the sprinter tank or the pinas. I need to start a photobucket page and I'll post pictures...hopefully work doesnt get to busy and I can get to that today!

ok so here are some pics of what I have and the possible seat tank set ups.

I personally Like this first seat tank set up.
PhotoGrid_1358106921598.jpg

Second option
PhotoGrid_1358105116105.jpg

These are items purchased thus far minus the frame
IMG_20130113_131623.jpg

IMG_20130115_231954.jpg

What style are you basing your design on? Do you have any links you can post as an inspiration? I've seen some very nicely done bikes using modern components that don't blatantly offend the retro look. But I've also seen mostly modern components that are just brilliant. So many ways to go.

Are you doing fabrication, painting etc yourself? You mentioned finding a mentor for the mechanicals, and it seems a great way to jump start the learning. I'm thinking about some continuing education classes from a local community college, but I'll advance much more quickly finding a tutor.

Sounds like fun!

I dont, Just the look thats rolling around in my head I like the boxier look more than than the nice rounded out style. however I would like to have modern suspension and braking. This was my original color idea still playing around with what I want but I'm really digging black/white and copper accents. Cool to see someone else that has done it. Confirms it Would look beastly. He has r6 forks as well
[ame="http://youtu.be/p49GXj5hSrU"]Honda CB550 Cafe Racer - YouTube[/ame]

Good choice and good look with it. I'm putting together my CB750 Cafe that I bought from a member here more than a year ago. It has CBR900RR front end, CBR F3 Swinger with dual shocks plus a bunch of other little parts here and there. Depending where are you located, I might be able to help you tear down your engine, clean it and check overall condition of internals.

I do have a JMC boxy swingarm that is underbraced for a CB550. It was handmade in the UK; eccentrics adjusters anodized gold and axle included. The quality is great. It only needs some fresh paint and that's it. Just keep in mind this swinger is not inexpensive. If you are interested, just let me know.

Nick.

Good luck on this build, I look forward to seeing it in person (I live in Houston as well).

Also, good luck on the mentor part. I have posted several times for assistance, of any sort, with carburetors and all I got was krickets and recommendations for shops.

If you would like any help, let me know. I travel a lot for work, but when I am home, I am off (with the exception of the honey do list).

Too late to start with a rolling project, but that's neither here nor there.

I've had several 550s over the years, including "THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY" (just posted a long story about it, in the "general" section, about 2 weeks ago)

I can overhaul that engine blindfolded. All you need is the shop manual and cheapcycleparts.com

There's a lot of good resources around Houston, and a BUNCH of parts to be found.

Don't be in such a hurry and you'll save money.

sorry guys, I've been all over the place! I had to travel out to mexico for awhile for work. and then once I got back to the states just been working a whole lot. I havent really had much time to work on the bike other than cleaning the engine up. I bought a great product called strong arm brand spray. It does some amazing work on rust and oxidation on chrome. I'm currently waiting for my friend to stop by with a torque wrench to take more of the engine a part. That engine was supper dirty! here are some more pics although not many..This first picture is AFTER cleaning...
IMG_20130125_185413.jpg.html
IMG_20130124_123544.jpg.html
20130125_181318.jpg.html

BEFORE Strong arm Brand spray
20130207_193446_zps5bfa51d2.jpg.html

AFTER spray...rust literally slides right off!
20130306_095515_zps047c8092.jpg.html

I think I'm going to need new wheels regardless...def. need new spokes!

The photo links don't work here, although they worked in the twtex e-mail advisory that I received when you posted in this thread

Weird.

Back