• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Plans are almost finalized...

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Slonaker
This link will take you to my server here at home to see pics of previous annual trips and also the trip route maps for the 2013 run as well as older routes. My buds here will be leaving out on Saturday morning, May 18, but I am leaving out on Tuesday, May 14. Their jobs wont let them be away this long all at once...bummer. I am mainly going to southern Arizona to see where the old west "baddies" are planted...the bad guys in the movie Tombstone. Rick has tomake a decidion on which way he will go on May 18...either in a ClockWise direction or a Counter-ClockWise direction. His decision will finalize my route so that I meet up with him either in Mexican Hat, Utah or Canon City, Colorado. If any of you guys or guy-ets would like to go along...you are more than welcome. There are 3 of us going for sure with the possibility of 5 total. If yoou want to meet up somewhere and ride with us for a ways...fine...pick your spot to connect.
We all have GoldWings, but it doesnt matter what you ride...it is going to be a great trip.

Any questions...just ask.

http://shooteraod.dyndns.org/BikeRides (pics and vids of previous rides)

http://shooteraod.dyndns.org/trips (route plans for May 2013 & previous years)

Say hello to Tombstone for me. I love it there and spent days hanging out and taking pictures there while I was stationed at Fort Huachuca

Say hello to Tombstone for me. I love it there and spent days hanging out and taking pictures there while I was stationed at Fort Huachuca

I will do that. Do you want a pic of anything in particular? I have flown over Tombstone more times than I can count, but I have never been there. When I was a kid, I hated history almost as much as school, but now I cant get enough history. I want to see and learn all I can about the old days...back when times were not to ruff I guess. I have my sheets printed out on the characters of Tombstone on where they are buried and I just want to go have a look. I was at Doc Hollidays grave a couple of years ago in Glenwood Springs, Colorado and it was just double cool, but the hike to get up there to the old boot hill is just plain mean. Feels like at times that you are going straight up. I'm getting tired again just thinking about it. I have even given some consideration about getting my Gerbing hot suit on and bust on outta here now, but from what friends in Colorado are telling me, I am going to have to run a chain on my car tire on my wing.

I know you've been out this way quite often but here are some thoughts anyhow...

Looks like Johnny Ringo's grave is also on the list before you go to Tombstone?

If you are not pressed for time after leaving Tombstone I would suggest riding 82 west to Sonoita if you haven't already been that way. Not much in the way of twisties, but it's a nice scenic route. At Sonoita you can continue on 82 until Nogales and then take I-19 north to Tucson, or you can go north from Sonoita on 83 which is also a scenic route and will take you back up to I-10.

If caves interest you at all, Benson is home to Kartchner Caverns, a "living" cave. Very beautiful inside. If it's lunch time, stop at Reb's Cafe in Benson. The Lube and Car Wash next door is owned by my sister.

Any particular reason you are coming up the Florence Highway from Tucson? You will be near Bioshere2 if Earth Sciences interest you.

If there is no special reason to come north (but I assume there is), I'd suggest going SW from Tucson on 86 / Ajo Highway down to Sells and visit Kitt Peak if you like astronomy. It's a great ride to the top.

You can then continue on 86 to Ajo and then 85 north to I-8. You will see LOTS of Border Patrol on this route so stay aware of smugglers.

When you go north from Yuma on 95 you can make "very good time" on that road. One BP checkpoint just north of Yuma, but that's it. There are lots of stretches where you can see for miles ahead.

Looks like a good ride.

I know you've been out this way quite often but here are some thoughts anyhow...

Looks like Johnny Ringo's grave is also on the list before you go to Tombstone? Yea...I am going to swing by Johnny Ringo's place and have a look. The movie "Tombstone" is the cause. I had a friend over one time who is a history nut and we got to talking about the old wild west and he told me that most of the characters' names in the movie were true. That got me to wondering and I started looking them all up and what I found is that the characters at one time were real live people...some worse than what the movie made them out to be and some not as bad as the movie made them out to be. Hollywood...go figure, but I have always had a facination with cemeteries and I want to see where these old west people are laying and now, I cant get enough of the old wild west history.

If you are not pressed for time after leaving Tombstone I would suggest riding 82 west to Sonoita if you haven't already been that way. Not much in the way of twisties, but it's a nice scenic route. At Sonoita you can continue on 82 until Nogales and then take I-19 north to Tucson, or you can go north from Sonoita on 83 which is also a scenic route and will take you back up to I-10.

If caves interest you at all, Benson is home to Kartchner Caverns, a "living" cave. Very beautiful inside. If it's lunch time, stop at Reb's Cafe in Benson. The Lube and Car Wash next door is owned by my sister.

Any particular reason you are coming up the Florence Highway from Tucson? You will be near Bioshere2 if Earth Sciences interest you.

If there is no special reason to come north (but I assume there is), I'd suggest going SW from Tucson on 86 / Ajo Highway down to Sells and visit Kitt Peak if you like astronomy. It's a great ride to the top. I am going up this way to find Mattie Blaylock Earp grave site. She is up close to a small airport out in the middle of nowhere as is Johnny Ringo but I can come back down and go the way that you suggested. After I find Mattie, I was going to head on over to Yuma and see the old Yuma territorial prison. More than likely, I will stay the night in Yuma rather than go to Lake Havasu. After checking motel prices it will be over $100.00 cheaper to stay in Yuma than go to Havasu. After Havasu, I am going up to the old route 66 and go thru the town of Peach Springs. My understanding about this place is that the name of the town was changed to Radiator Springs in the movis "Cars". After this I am going down to Prescot and visit the grave of Big Nose Kate, who was at one time Doc Holliday's girlfriend/wife.

You can then continue on 86 to Ajo and then 85 north to I-8. You will see LOTS of Border Patrol on this route so stay aware of smugglers.

When you go north from Yuma on 95 you can make "very good time" on that road. One BP checkpoint just north of Yuma, but that's it. There are lots of stretches where you can see for miles ahead.

Looks like a good ride.

I have spent alot of time North of I-40 in Arizona on the different roads and also alot of times North & South of I-8/I-10 but I was at 34,000+ feet all the time. I just havent taken the time to get on the ground and go patroling so this is actually my first run in the lower areas and I just want May to hurry up. I also hope that it isnt going to be like a broiler oven with the heat. Looking at GOOGLE EARTH/MAPS shows to have hundreds of neat stuff to see and I see a "to be continued" trip on the horizon for me and the other guys that I am going to meet up with in Mexican Hat, Utah.

The only thing that worries me alittle with this trip is when I drop down from Johnny Ringo's grave site and go to the town of Douglas on my way to Tombstone. I really dont care to be that close to the border, but I will be wearing my .40 cal. All I want to do there is get on the right road to Tombstone and get the heck out of there. Another bud has told me to expect the border agents to stop you alot...thinking that you are a drug mule. He told me that when they went thru the area a few years ago, they got pulled over all the time. He said that he finally got mad at one agent and asked him if he had a 2-way radio. He said the agent told him yes, he did. He asked him to get on his radio and give the others a description of him, his motorcycle and license plate number so that all his other little friends (this guy is 6' 9' and about 350 pounds of TNT oil field worker) to quit stopping him every 30 to 40 miles because I aint no drug mule and I am getting tired of this with you guys going thru my stuff. He said that he assumed that that is what the guy did because he was stopped again until the next day. I laughed about it, but I think it would get old with me too...however I amnowhere near my friends size. My size it more like the flea on the Great Danes back, where my friend is the Great Dane..lolol.

If I change things up a bit and head the way you have suggested instead of running West on I-8, I will stop in at your sister's place and say hi for you. If it is really hot, I might even ride thru the car wash. I am going to pull up my Microsoft Streets & Maps program and do some refiguring and see what I can come up with. How about gas/fuel? I assume that it is readily available going the way you have suggested, but should I carry some extra for that "just in case" situation? I didnt want to if I could help it but I do have the room to tote a 2 gallon jug. If I remember right, my Goldwing holds 6-1/2 gallons and normally, I can get 225 miles before my light comes on leaving me with about a gallon left in the tank before it starts sucking air. I just dont want to be caught up out in the middle of no-where-ville with no gas or cell phone service all by my lonesome. I do have a mini work bag with tools tire patches and a 12v air pump I got from Wally World. Now before some of you laugh, this little pump works like a champ and it is only about 1-1/2 x 4 x 4 in size. I have only had to patch a tire one time on the road and the Wally World patch kit worked perfect and the little pump did the rest...then I went on with my rat killin.

Thanks for the route suggestion...I am going to seriously look into it. If I need to pass ole Mattie by on this trip todo it...Oh well, she will get over it and it gives me a needed excuse to make a return trip...:trust:

I also hope that it isnt going to be like a broiler oven with the heat.
May will be fine. Might be around 100 but not likely and the higher elevations will be fine. Yuma/Havasu will be warmer than the other areas you are going to. Just remember to stay hydrated.

The only thing that worries me alittle with this trip is when I drop down from Johnny Ringo's grave site and go to the town of Douglas on my way to Tombstone. I really dont care to be that close to the border, but I will be wearing my .40 cal. All I want to do there is get on the right road to Tombstone and get the heck out of there.
The only place I'd be concerned about would be around Ringo's grave because you have to walk back in there (I think). Douglas is a fine little town and there are SO many BP agents in the area no one is going to mess with you. They have a very large station on the west side of Douglas that you will pass on your way to Bisbee. You should make time to take the trolley tour in Bisbee; it is a great historical place. Be sure to stop at the Mine monument and look down into the pit.
7524483898_d1d3f64a38_c.jpg

Another bud has told me to expect the border agents to stop you alot...thinking that you are a drug mule.
I've put in a lot of miles near the border at all hours of the day and night and have never been stopped. The only time an agent even spoke to me was when I was taking photos of the border fence at Naco, and even then it was just a "you folks okay?" question. I responded that we were just sightseeing and he said "have a nice day" and moved on.
7524618222_f8fa94f3f3_c.jpg

If I change things up a bit and head the way you have suggested instead of running West on I-8, I will stop in at your sister's place and say hi for you.
It's not likely that she would be there; they have a manager and usually only hit the shop once or twice a day.

How about gas/fuel? I assume that it is readily available going the way you have suggested, but should I carry some extra for that "just in case" situation?
Only gas concern would be if you were to go to Kitt Peak and then on to Ajo. Fill up at Three Corners before you get to Kitt Peak and there is one more small station just before Kitt Peak if you are feeling paranoid. All other areas have plenty of gas available within the Wing's range.

I am going up this way to find Mattie Blaylock Earp grave site. She is up close to a small airport out in the middle of nowhere
My understanding is that the cemetery is on the north side of Hwy 60 as you are westbound from Superior. Once you reach Winkelman you'll be going north on 177 and that is part of what we call The Winkelman Loop (Superior, Winkelman, Globe) and is a familiar ride to many riders in this area.

Just north of Winkelman is Kearny. If it is breakfast / lunch time than follow the signs to the airport. The West End Cafe will be across the railroad tracks and to the left. Good place.

After Kearny you will pass the Ray Mine. It might be hard to see but there is a turn-off to the right near the NW corner of the mine. You'll need to ride about 1/4 mile of washboard to get to the observation point but we've done it several times two-up on the Wing - no issues. If you're lucky you'll catch them exploding out a new section.

As you come into Superior you will go west on Hwy 60. Look for Los Hermanos on the south side for some really good Mexican food. Watch for the speed cameras too. There is a nice set of restrooms in the Los Hermanos parking lot if all you need is a pee stop. Just a little further west on the south side is the Buckboard Cafe. There is a teeny-tiny museum on the west side of their building. There is a photo and story in there about Mattie.

It looks like your route will be taking you through Coolidge on your way back to I-10 / I-8. Tag's Cafe is on the main drag on the right side as you roll through town. Parking on the front sidewalk for motorcycles is encouraged and you may see several other bikes there as well. Good food whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The locals (farmers and ranchers) fill the place up on Saturdays and Sundays.

After checking motel prices it will be over $100.00 cheaper to stay in Yuma than go to Havasu.
Either Yuma or Quartzsite will be fine. As you are going up 95 from Yuma you will see a large cannon on the west side of the road at the Yuma Proving Grounds. This is the Atomic Cannon. As you continue north look up to your right to see one of the tethered border blimps. It will probably be up between 3000-5000 feet if it is flying.

When you ride Route 66 to Seligman, stop for ice cream at Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In, in business since 1953.

If you haven't already ridden it, your route from Prescott to Jerome to Sedona to Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff is one of the better rides in the state. Keep that camera ready.

Your route from there to Kanab looks fine. As is the route to Mexican Hat. Have breakfast / lunch at the View Hotel in Monument Valley and this is the view you will have from the restaurant.
4752566221_1852e5a3fd_b.jpg

Thanks so much for all the good info here. I am printing it out to tote with me. As for my camera, I went and got myself a new GoPro Hero 3 silver edition just for this trip. All my other pics and videos came out pretty good but I am going to try to make some very good vids. Going to take my netbook along also to unload the camera chip each day. I have two 64 gig chips, but I might fill both of them up, so I need something to go along to move the vids over to and free up chip space. I was looking earlier and somehow missed it, bit there is a road that I can cut across to save from going all the way down to Douglas. One was West Gleeson Road and the other is West Davis Road. It looks like Gleeson might be dirt for teh last 15 or so miles but Davis looks like pavement all the way over. It might be a last minute decision to take one of these. If you are going to be close at hand when I am going thru...maybewe can meet up somewhere for some munching time at one of the places that you mention to eat.

Back