• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photog Tool for Moto Travelers

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace

Anybody have one of these little beasts?

There is an article on it in the lastest BMW ON magazine

Open Box Review

These two videos really only show the physicality of the unit.

Read the article in BMW ON or do a Google search for more in-depth applications.

One of the big features is you can buy the "frame only" version and plop in any compatable hard drive you buy other places or already have.

WiFi capable

RAW capable

Supports a wide range of camera cards

View/Edit/Sort/File on the fly

The BMW article touts it as a valuable moto travel tool for photogs

I like my iPad better. Less storage, but bigger screen. Plus Verizon data in addition to wifi.

I could see how it would useful for a long trip for image backup though.

$450 +/-.... wow.

So how would you deploy that? Shoot your shots during the day, then every night burn them to this unit? Would you still keep the images on the camera disc or clean that off?

I know on my trips where I've taken a laptop and the camera, I shot images, copied them to the laptop, as well as kept them on the camera disc. Run out of space? Drop a new disc in the camera. That way I kept images in two locations until I got home to be 100% sure I had 100% of my images.

On Monday, I'm contacting Hyper to find out if this device can handle video files.

Couple of weeks ago in Mexico, I ran out of space on the IPad for all the video I was capturing. Had to keep it on the card then buy more cards.

THIS is why I'm interested in this.

BUT FEAR NOT, Hyper makes the world's only backup hard drive for the IPad

That is what Rusty might be interested in

What about uploading to the web/cloud via wifi in the evenings? Photosync on the ipad works well to upload to Smugmug for me. I've not been to MX enough to know if the wifi is reliable though. Or just pickup some spare SD cards in large sizes like 64gb?

Wifi is a possibility, not only with ICloud but with devices such as Airstash

When traveling, WiFi connectivity to ICloud is a very frequent limiting factor due to proximity and bandwidth.

With local devices such as Airstash, new possibilities are open but you'll have to study the pros/cons on your own to determine the best application for your situation

See my other post about flash memory on the cheap today. In my G15, a 64gb card is well over 10,000 photos. I haven't done the math on video storage, but it has to be up there.

I could see something like this being good for video. However, for the photographs, memory cards are so cheap that you can afford to bring several 16GB sticks with you and that's a whole lot of photos.

I do recall times in the past when memory was small and expensive that I took laptops with me on trips so I could offload throughout the day. Man did that suck.

Actually, it's kind of funny. We don't even reuse our memory sticks anymore because when one fills up, we just buy another one and the stick becomes our backup of the images on our computer. Who'd have thought we'd see the day that would happen.

But HD video....yea, not there quite yet. :D Close, but not quite. Although, for $450, you could buy a lot of sticks. I got my 16GB on sale for $15 at Walmart. $450 would buy 30 of them or 480GB of sticks. Something to consider.

In the US, when on the move (not hunkered down in some out of the way NP), I have no problem finding WiFi at least once a day. I do tend to take multiple 8gb and up sd cards, but just so I have spares if one fails. I will use the ipad to pull from the camera and move photos up to smugmug. In my P&S camera I have an EyeFi card that will auto upload to smugmug whenever it sees an open wifi network. Sometimes I will switch that card over to my DSLR. It will work in a "infinite" card mode and as the card fills up it will remove photos that have already been uploaded.

I use Snapseed to edit on the ipad, but usually wait until I get home for serious editing.

I think I'm done with traveling with a laptop for a while. However I'm probably going to get an android tablet to try out too.

Using the camera connection kit, you can move video from a GoPro to the IPad.

Without jailbreaking the IPad, moving files off of it: :doh:

I jailbroke my ipad a while back, but reverted. It crashed a bit more often and the reason I did it was for gps routing, but that just didn't work out. So I went back for stability.

From Hypershop, I just ordered the casing only Colorspace UDMA2

This means it has no hard drive coming inside it

I do, however, have a new-in-the-box Western Digital My Passport @ 1TB

I will harvest the hard drive out of that and insert it into the case of the Colorspace when it arrives.

All of this is straight up and SOP - many users have done this already. Standard 2.5" SATA hard drive.

Bada Boom Bada Bing!

Once I verified I can x-fer video files with this I was off to the races

Once I discovered you can add your own hard drive I was sold

My main deal is to keep the card in the camera(s) and GoPro empty, and push content through the workflow faster/easier.

Sure, backup capability is there - but that wasn't my driver.

I can see how that would be really nice when you have a Gopro. The video files can take up a bunch of space. Looking forward you your review once you get it.

Back