• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cause for concern?

Reaction score
First Name
Jeffry
Last Name
Florentine
My 2000 Bandit 600 has a funny tick/knock at about 4 times per second at about 45/50 mph. Can't hear it, but I can feel it in the grips. Does it in both 5th and 6th gears, so I thought it was chain related. When I looked at the chain I saw that the riveted master link comes off the rear sprocket cocked at an angle instead of straight. Not side to side, but vertically. When it is pushed to straighten it, I clicks back straight, but does not stay that way when it comes around again.
The bike had 7k miles on it for the first 11 years of its life. In 2011 it was ridden about 1700 miles and I have put about 4000 on it since last July. Currently at 13000 miles on the bike and the original chain.
Is it just that the chain is old and sat for too long(15 months prior to July '12)? Will it hurt anything to ride it with the annoying clunk/tick thing going? Or is it time for a new chain?

Attachments

• Chain.JPG
    Chain.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 169
I would simply replace the chain and be done with it.

You definitely found the source of the problem :sun:

AARRRGGGHH!!:headbang:
I knew it. I didn't want to believe it cause I'm so frugal it pains me to only get 13k on the chain.
I reckon the internal lube has dried up.
Oh well, it's time to lube the swing arm bearing anyway.
Thanks for the reply.

You could try just to remove/replace the master link.

However I'm big into preemtive maintenance. I only have 1 bike with a chain, and I've not seen that issue. But on bicycles, I see that all the time.

Anything odd connected to the drive train - better safe than sorry.

At least it's an easy fix.

I'd replace the master link as stated if the chain/sprockets are fine...

Yeah, I thought about just changing the master link, but then thought that if that one is dried up inside then others are too, or will be soon.
I'll start pricing the chain and sprockets(insert pitiful sigh here).
Thanks,
Jeff

If the other links are moving freely just replace the master.
It may have been pressed too tight during assembly.

If the other links are moving freely just replace the master.
It may have been pressed too tight during assembly.

Or not given any grease. It is certainly worth a shot to just replace the masterlink with a new one before getting a new chain. It will only cost a few bucks and won't hurt anything.

The master link was probably bent from the chain running too tight. In this situation, you can just replace the master.

When you check the chain for tightness, sit on the bike when checking. If you check the chain without weight on it, it will seem excessively loose.

I have been riding for 30 years and this is the first bike I have had that I had to check this way.

Been there, done that. Same exact symptoms. I replaced the master, ran the chain looser, no more problems.

Never realized a chain too tight would cause that then again I'm still learning! Another good reason to run the chain loose I guess! :)

Well, the master link was DRY when it came off.
The new one solved the problem, but the chain will not last too much longer I think.
Mostly a matter of being 13 years old, I think. Probably the rest of the links don't have much more lube than the master did.

But you have to remember, the other links were lubed and 'sealed' at the factory. The lube on the master link was only done as well as the installer did it.

Back