• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'67 BSA Lightning rolling project resurrection

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Zuniga
I got a deal recently on this '67 BSA and a mongrel 55/62 Triumph pre-unit from a guy that had been calling me for almost 3 years trying to sell them too me for WAY too much; he finally came down to a price I could handle and I drove the 70 miles over and picked them up.

What I got was a somewhat complete, 70% original, non-running roller, worked over in typical 70s fashion (peanut tank, high bars, extended forks, etc)-

405575982.jpg

I promptly stripped off the wired-on sheet metal fork wrappings, goofy headlight & mounting, and Honda meter set, then I installed some closer-to-correct stuff I had on the shelves.

Besides installing a nice tank I've had sitting around for years, and a decent seat to replace the really tatty one it came with, I also pulled the overlength fork tubes and replaced them with a halfway decent set of standard length ones I had on the shelf for just such an occasion, and a complete tail light & grab bar setup from the era.

405575860.jpg

Too late for regrets, I sold my '67 Spitfire basket case that this bike replaces in my collection. The Spitfire hadn't budged an inch in over 8 years, so this one has a far greater chance at actually running and riding in my lifetime.

Thinking back, I probably would have swapped out a bunch more parts before selling off the basket, including the original exhaust headers and headlight ears.

The main reason I say it's too late for regrets is what I found when I went to start sorting why the engine was stuck.

405575976.jpg

Best case scenario is that it had a quart of oil in the sump and was just recirculating it furiously, and not sucking air from the "T" hose going to the tank...

I don't even want to think of what the worst case scenario is, although overall it will still cost less than building the basket case would have.

Back