• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Longer Wearing Tire Suggestion.....

Reaction score
Hi there, just planning a trip south when the snow disappears long enough for me to escape these northerly climes (ie: northern British Columbia Canada).

I hope to do a 6000 mile ride and I'll need to replace my tires along the way.

Currently I have a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's installed with about 2500 miles on them.

I'm not much of a canyon carver (ie: have yet to drag anything on the bike after owning it for a year (2008 1250)) so I'm wondering if there is a longer wearing tire out that that would not sacrifice performance for longer life too much.

If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks and take care!

What Tasi said. Unless you get crazy on the turns and throttle, I don't see any reason not to get at least 10,000 out of them. I've been running the 2's. 1st set went 14,000 and the second 12,000 due to a slow leak I never found. 3rd set , I changed out prematurely due to upcoming trip I though may be over 7000 mile and I had 5000 on the tires already. Dang trip ended up being about 4500 miles. LOL could of left the 3rd set on.

Wow really....?

That's in miles not KM's right....? ;-)

I'm happy if I get 10 000 miles out of my cruisers Metzler 880's!

Okay I'll test em out on this trip and see what happens.

Awesome thanks folks!

Waiting for spring!! :sun:

I am currently running PR2's on my 02 K1200RS. This bike is known for eating rear rubber. I have 12,700 miles on the set. The front is close to replacement (maybe 2K give or take) but the dang rear tire still looks decent. I will be replacing them in the next several months, in anticipation of a 4K ride in May. My replacement..... well duh... PR3's. I think you are good to go for a long while IMHO. Just keep them air up......

Everything they said about the Pilot Road 3 is correct,my brother-in-law runs them and he loves to act 20 years old and eat up the twisties he gets 8 to 10,000 miles. He and I started riding 50 years ago. He as well over 100,000 miles on his RT and it delights him to buy a new set. That means he,s just returning or just preparing for another trip.

SAFE RIDING !

+1

I had the PR2s and have gone to PR3s. 22,000 km so far from the front which looks only half worn. The rear has 12,000 km on it and seems about a third down. I am impressed.

As Tasi said, stick with 'em.

I had an 03 FJR & routinely got 4-5K miles out of Bridgestone BT021s...Metzeler ME Z6s & other similar sport touring tires. I finally switched to a Metz ME880 in a 170/60VR17 size (which fit the 5" rim just fine) ...Doubled my mileage on these rough as a cob Texas roads!! Handling didn't suffer either. I kept running the sport touring Z6 on the front though. The 880 didn't like the cornering force inputs on that front end!! Been wanting to try a new one on my 650 Strom but haven't as of yet. I have run a used 880 on the Strom but didn't kno how many miles it already had on it when I installed.

I had the 880s on my S50 (1st bike!) and long story short they were hit and miss. Some were junk and some were good all depending on when/where they were made! Either way I've on my 2nd set of PR2s and thinks are looking good at about 8k but the front is starting to square slightly!

Been running Pirelli Angels for last 8K miles. I think they will go another 3-4K easy. Very cool pattern that goes from angels to demons around 500 miles.

shinko 009 ravens ....15k and still had life but i replaced with the same , just cuz

shinko 009 ravens ....15k and still had life but i replaced with the same , just cuz

WoW! May have to look into those for my next set. But, still have at least 4000 to 5000 minimum left on present set of RP2s on the bike. Plus, my take offs from last summer with only about 5000 on them. With my truck/KLR plans for this summer, may be next year before I need tires for the Bandit. Perhaps, just maybe, I may do a trip to Washington State on the Bandit. Not for sure yet. But, if do , the take offs will handle that.

Shinko 009 ravens aside from being cheaper tires are also single compound. No thanks! ;)

I've got Pirelli Angels with about 6000 miles on them. I expect to get at least 8,000. About 20% is riding hard, the rest is just freeway droning.

One thing I've noticed is that running the correct tire pressure really makes a difference in how the bike feels.

I was looking for some long wearing tires for my 1250 because I use it as a commuter and put lots of miles on it...I have been getting about 6k per set regardless of mfg..I had been running pilot powers and love them but read somewhere that continental conti motions had the same kind of grip but lasted much longer so I gave them a shot.. Ive had them on for about 3k and while they still look new the level of traction is way less especially on wet or damp roads compared to the Michelins.. It has caught me by supprise a few times so Ill be back on my pilot powers when these are shot..

I am a firm believe in Heidenau tires. I regularly get over 12000 on rear and 18000 on front. I don't know if the make them for your bike.

so Ill be back on my pilot powers when these are shot..

I'm thinking I read the PPs have a softer compound than the PRs. Might try a set of Pilot Roads instead of the Pilot Powers. I've got no less than 12,000 on the PR2s

I'm thinking I read the PPs have a softer compound than the PRs. Might try a set of Pilot Roads instead of the Pilot Powers. I've got no less than 12,000 on the PR2s

Your correct Powers are the Street bike tires that last 4-5k and Roads are the Street/Touring tires that last 10k+! :D

I ran the PR2s on my FJR and ran 10,000 miles on two sets before changing them Both sets had some miles left in them, but I was prepping for long trips when they came off. Stay with the PR3s for your long mileage tire.

I also have had the best mileage from my PRs and now PR2s. I also changed up my riding style just a bit and coast with the clutch in to a gentle stop, being easy on the brakes. This not only saves wear and tear on the engine and drive-line it adds a considerable amount of life to the rear tire. It also goes without saying to be easy on the right hand as well.

This approach has added over 2K to my overall tire mileage and an extra 6K to my chain and sprockets.

I also have had the best mileage from my PRs and now PR2s. I also changed up my riding style just a bit and coast with the clutch in to a gentle stop, being easy on the brakes. This not only saves wear and tear on the engine and drive-line it adds a considerable amount of life to the rear tire. It also goes without saying to be easy on the right hand as well.

This approach has added over 2K to my overall tire mileage and an extra 6K to my chain and sprockets.

What kind of mileage are you getting using this technique!? You said over 2k and extra 6k but what is the actual #!? ;-)

Back