• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin To kerville route?

Reaction score
Hello all. Wife and i will be in Austin this friday/saturday and wanting a good back road from Austin to Kerrville route preferably with willow city loop road in the mix. Will leave Austin sat morning, hit kerville then back to Houston that afternoon.
any help?
thanks
Michael

Here's a 238 mile clockwise loop that gets you out of town pretty quickly and avoids 290. 1826 has a bit of construction going on now so might want to take IH35 to 150 over to Driftwood instead. Have a great ride whichever way you end up going.

I offer a slightly different route for you to Kerrville, since I think you said you wanted to go from Kerrville to Houston.

I don't know much about the route vc_slim offers near Austin so I defer to his expertise, but as you get closer to Kerrville, the Old San Antonio Road, Skyline Drive and Cypress Creek Road are well worth the few extra miles they add.

The routes between Fredricksburg and Kerrville on Hwy 16 and between Comfort and Kerrville on Hwy 27 are "boring!" :-)

So much to see and do between Austin and Kerrville. And then back to Houston? I couldn't do it in one day, not on backroads anyway. 290 all the way to Fredericksburg is a nice ride, then down to Kerrville. After hopping on 10 get off at the Leon Springs exit for some bbq and creamed corn at the original Rudys. Should be smooth cruising through S.A. late sat.

If you want to get to Willow City Loop from Austin, you might consider Hamilton Pool Road / FM 962 out west near the town near Bee Caves / off Hwy 71. It puts you pretty close to the entrance to the Willow Loop. Just jog South on Hwy 281 a few miles. Watch your pegs when heading down to cross the Pedernales River.

Maybe FM 473 (Old San Antonio Road) South from Fredericksburg to Comfort, then Kerrville.

Kerville back to Houston via Bandera and Hondo on FM 173 is pretty nice.

If you want to get to Willow City Loop from Austin, you might consider Hamilton Pool Road / FM 962 out west near the town near Bee Caves / off Hwy 71. It puts you pretty close to the entrance to the Willow Loop. Just jog South on Hwy 281 a few miles. Watch your pegs when heading down to cross the Pedernales River.

Maybe FM 473 (Old San Antonio Road) South from Fredericksburg to Comfort, then Kerrville.

Kerville back to Houston via Bandera and Hondo on FM 173 is pretty nice.
That's a good route. I would spend the night at the Alsatian Inn in Castrovillle and then scoot home in the morning.

thanks for the input. mapped out a route using you guys roads and hopefully can make it all in the one day. gonna be on the goldwing so should be ok weather permitting.
michael

Back